• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain 2016-2017 season thread

EPB

Wildcat is way too easy to close the mt for temps/wind.They do this all the time while no other area closes.I think its a lame excuse and they think its ok cuz they just send you down to Attitash.

I toy with how okay I am with this. On one hand, it's really frustrating to see Wildcat closed down so frequently. On the flip side, it helps keep operating the place as viable as possible. My guess is this was in the operating plans when Peak bought Wildcat in the first place. I sincerely doubt that suitors were lining up to buy the place when it went up for sale.

Smellytele

I agree that they are too quick in shutting down. It was above zero when I got there Sunday. Yes it was windy but the lower lifts could have been open. They posted Saturday to check at 6:30-7am for an update for Sunday.Sunday at 6:45 it was posted that they would be opened but may have some wind holds. I drove up and when I got there they were closed. I did ski Attitash but i was regretting my decision to go with the peaks pass next year. Twice now I have tried to ski Wildcat this year and had to ski Attitrash instead. Other time was the lower voltage day. Although not their fault it still is an issue they may have to be dealt with in the future. I love Wildcat's terrain but I am having second thoughts. I know with the old owners the place would have been open. I also know the previous owners had no other alternative such as sending everyone to Attitrash and they weren't making money hand over fist (not that PEaks is either).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I toy with how okay I am with this. On one hand, it's really frustrating to see Wildcat closed down so frequently. On the flip side, it helps keep operating the place as viable as possible. My guess is this was in the operating plans when Peak bought Wildcat in the first place. I sincerely doubt that suitors were lining up to buy the place when it went up for sale.
It really doesn't frustrate me at all. Outside of this weekend which had temps of -10 or worse at the summit and 50+ mph winds, there's only been 3-4 other midweek days this season they've shut down and IIRC it was due to rain. Maybe 10-15 people might show up in those conditions.

Ultimately in recent years they still have operated more days in a season than than any other area in NH. Honestly I'd be more frustrated if Attitash was my preferred hill because they likely lose a week on both ends of the season due to Wildcat being open and Peaks sending folks up there instead.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

It really doesn't frustrate me at all. Outside of this weekend which had temps of -10 or worse at the summit and 50+ mph winds, there's only been 3-4 other midweek days this season they've shut down and IIRC it was due to rain. Maybe 10-15 people might show up in those conditions.

Ultimately in recent years they still have operated more days in a season than than any other area in NH. Honestly I'd be more frustrated if Attitash was my preferred hill because they likely lose a week on both ends of the season due to Wildcat being open and Peaks sending folks up there instead.

Ultimately, I sit on your side of the fence. I grew up in the Attitash race program, but prefer skiing at Wildcat these days. My friends that prefer Attitash get frustrated by the historically late start/early closes since Wildcat was purchased, but I don't mind it. The best argument that they have is, if Peak is going to keep Attitash closed so long in December, they better open with a TON of terrain because they don't have the burden of getting trails ready to go sequentially ASAP. They can just bury trails as efficiently as possible.

Similarly, while I'd love Wildcat open and to myself, asking a business to clearly lose money so I can take advantage does not seem to be in anyone's long term interest. If one can't understand why a place closes down in potentially (very) dangerous cold, especially when they have another place ~30 minutes down the street at low elevation, then I don't know what to say. The company has a duty to keep their patrollers safe, too.

dlague

Ultimately, I sit on your side of the fence. I grew up in the Attitash race program, but prefer skiing at Wildcat these days. My friends that prefer Attitash get frustrated by the historically late start/early closes since Wildcat was purchased, but I don't mind it. The best argument that they have is, if Peak is going to keep Attitash closed so long in December, they better open with a TON of terrain because they don't have the burden of getting trails ready to go sequentially ASAP. They can just bury trails as efficiently as possible.

Similarly, while I'd love Wildcat open and to myself, asking a business to clearly lose money so I can take advantage does not seem to be in anyone's long term interest. If one can't understand why a place closes down in potentially (very) dangerous cold, especially when they have another place ~30 minutes down the street at low elevation, then I don't know what to say. The company has a duty to keep their patrollers safe, too.

and lifties!

Edd

It was actually Attitash today that got bit by the wind. Summit triple never spun. Checked Cats snow report a couple of times and the quad spun all day.

I saw that the triple wasn't running but we went to Bear. Walked in the lodge and it was teeming with racers, virtually no place to sit. We said screw it and had mimosas at the Sunrise Shack. Shameful of us but the wind/cold was not motivating. Yesterday at BW was bottomless and awesome.

SkiingInABlueDream

Wildcat was empty today. Soft wind buff everywhere. Minor wind in he morningbut blowing up the lift line. Awesome day. I'm sure yesterday and Tuesday were better but this was an absolute personal best at Cat for me. Pics probably won't be too stoke-ish but I'll upload a couple when I offload from my camera.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it being all that busy even if this storm delivers. Certainly won't be like what areas off 93 are like with St. Patty's specials

I take this back. I found out today that all the local schools are closed tomorrow for teacher workshops. So, between $17 tickets and all the recent snow I fully expect both Wildcat and Attitash to be slammed!

HD333

I take this back. I found out today that all the local schools are closed tomorrow for teacher workshops. So, between $17 tickets and all the recent snow I fully expect both Wildcat and Attitash to be slammed!

Planning on Gunstock tomorrow the Wildcat Saturday. Hopefully Gunstock will still have some pockets in the woods and no crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john1200c

I believe Cranmore also has a $17 deal tomorrow so that may lighten the burden. I was planning on hitting either Wildcat or Attitash tomorrow but am now thinking of trying out Black Mtn. I have never skied there and if they have a deal I might do it despite having a Peak pass.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
With the recent snowfall, no better time than now to hit Black. It's got some short, but really fun terrain. A step back in time. I say go for it

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hear ya, but if there's any place in New England I want to help drive traffic to it's Black. I really worry about them making it. They do such a small business it really surprises me sometimes that they aren't on nelsap.

eatskisleep

I hear ya, but if there's any place in New England I want to help drive traffic to it's Black. I really worry about them making it. They do such a small business it really surprises me sometimes that they aren't on nelsap.

Yeah I totally agree! I always get excited when I see crowds there, they made wayyyyy more snow this year than in the past. The change in management (still in family) has helped!

yeggous

Yeah I totally agree! I always get excited when I see crowds there, they made wayyyyy more snow this year than in the past. The change in management (still in family) has helped!

When did management change? As of a couple years ago the owner was a total dick.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Anyone ski wildcat today? Did it get real warm up there? Crusty tomorrow?

Jully

When did management change? As of a couple years ago the owner was a total dick.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

That's the last I heard of anything about management at Black too. I still like to see any area succeed, especially smaller areas, but the owner situation seemed not so great.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I still plan on heading up, but won't be rushing for Mug Club 8:15 first chair. I can't imagine it will be that crusty, but with no fresh there's no real compelling reason to get up at the ass crack.