• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Opens Friday!

ctenidae

I got the OKAY from my Socal Director. We'll be there Sunday. Anyone else?

Mapquest says 3 hours from Boston, Google says 4.5. Anyone have a better guess than that?

ctenidae

And Greg, for spotting that and getting it up so quickly, You get the title of "Rockingest Rocker Who Ever Rocked the Rockers." Or somethign like that.

Here's to you, Mr. Ski Area Opening in October Spotter Guy!

:beer:

TewksburyWx

ctenidae said:
I got the OKAY from my Socal Director. We'll be there Sunday. Anyone else?

Mapquest says 3 hours from Boston, Google says 4.5. Anyone have a better guess than that?

Boston, MA:
Take I-95N to Portsmouth, bearing left to White Mountains on Spaulding Turnpike which becomes Route 16N.
Boston, MA - 3 hours

awf170

ctenidae said:
How sticky are they on skiing unopened trails, particulary this early?

dont think they really care, Ive gone under ropes right in front of patrollers there, and I have also seen patrollers coming out of the creek beds too,

eatskisleep

awf170 said:
ctenidae said:
How sticky are they on skiing unopened trails, particulary this early?

dont think they really care, Ive gone under ropes right in front of patrollers there, and I have also seen patrollers coming out of the creek beds too,
Yeah but creek beds, hidden stashes etc are neither open nor closed so its not like you can't ski them legally.

eatskisleep

But just remember as beautiful as the roped off Starr Line looks it takes much mroe than 3-4 feet of snow

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
will be heading over on saturday. i don't know how they can open polecat with that much snow without grooming it out. you simply can't ski trails that flat with 2-3' of fresh snow without packing. i am assuming no grooming due to the notification about uppper level skiers only. very conservative opening trail count considering the snow totals should indicate no chance of bottoming out... even with a couple hundred of your best friends skiing with you.

my only suggestion is bring your fatties and be ready to work it! this snow is no joke.

awf170

riverc0il said:
will be heading over on saturday. i don't know how they can open polecat with that much snow without grooming it out. you simply can't ski trails that flat with 2-3' of fresh snow without packing. i am assuming no grooming due to the notification about uppper level skiers only. very conservative opening trail count considering the snow totals should indicate no chance of bottoming out... even with a couple hundred of your best friends skiing with you.

my only suggestion is bring your fatties and be ready to work it! this snow is no joke.

I think theyll groom... hopefully they wouldnt though. wouldnt it be awsome to see all those early season gapers like you see at k-mart trying to ski heavy wet deep moguled snow... chinese downhill anyone?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
eatskisleep said:
But just remember as beautiful as the roped off Starr Line looks it takes much mroe than 3-4 feet of snow
there are very very few trails in new england not skiable after 3-4' of snow. some rocky lift lines that need to have spots under and around boulders fill in like tramline @ cannon would be nasty but even then still doable for a few whackos. there isn't much i would hesitate on over 3-4'.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i am doubtful of the grooming partially due to labor and cost issues. they aren't going to get many n00bs or beginners showing up to ski wildcat in october. wildcat's game is definitely keeping expenses bare bones and catoring to a hard core audience.

bvibert

Staff member
awf170 said:
riverc0il said:

I think theyll groom... hopefully they wouldnt though. wouldnt it be awsome to see all those early season gapers like you see at k-mart trying to ski heavy wet deep moguled snow... chinese downhill anyone?

I've heard that there will be grooming. I read somewhere that someone saw the groomers out, I'm not sure if that meant they were grooming or just out getting ready to groom.