• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Opens Friday!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Breeze said:
Rc,
I think you'll still find some Personal Stash @ WC tomorrow. Patrol was out this afternoon dropping some more ropes, looking at the glades, assessing safe access and egress from here and there.
didn't pan out that way. pretty much everything was tracked out from yesterday. the occasional untracked stuff wasn't really worth skiing because it was so warm at the cat over the last 24 hours that the snow had consolidated into think junk (i believe i heard there was a temp inversion, the cat was really warm this morning, especially up high). no complaining there though! first day of lift serviced and i skied natural snow all friggin day and played in some damn sweet moguls. even took a run down wildcat top to bottom, friggin sweet! more on all that later.

Breeze

Well, sorry folks, skier's worst nightmmare?? The ONE lift quits before the day is over. The power plant for that lift had a major rebuild over the summer, which WAS the reason it WAS inspected early, and made the weekend at all possible.

So yep, it happened..... not much for details but at least we didn't have to Evac the lift, got everyone on the chairs to the uphill ramp and all skiied down. Just a crappy end to a spectacular weekend.

I was sooooooo impressed with everyone's demeanor as we hand- wrote vouchers for hundreds and hundreds. Just happy skiers saying "OH WELL... glad I wasn't on it when it quit, I'll just have to come back." Even the folks who WERE on it when it quit were gracious, not upset, and for that I have to say special thanks, not for myself, but for everyone at Wildcat.

sheesh, what a weekend of Highs and Lows.

Breeze

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i didn't even know the lift shut down! lol. i was just coming back from the summit and figured i had spent too much time up there and thought the lift was shut down due to closing time. also, i thought everyone was lined up in the lodge as i left for wildcards! doh, i should have asked around. awefully big offering handing out vouchers for what must have only been an hour or so left of skiing when it happened?

Terry

Not bad for the first day of the season. My wife and I were there till about 1 oclock. Man am I sore tonight! But it was great to get back on skis- especially in Oct. A big Thank you goes out to everyone at the Cat that made this weekend possible!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

ctenidae

I was in line when it quit the first time, then about 1/3 of the way up when it quit the second. It was a long, slow ride up once the lift started turning again. No worries, though. I ended up only getting 4 runs on the day (new skis, heavy snow, out-of-shape legs, wife's re-configured footbeds (bad), longish-lines, looong drive), but who cares? It was turns in October. Snow was soft, day was gorgeous (hot, even. Sweated like a horse), and it was October.

My credit to everyone working today, Breeze. Everyone seemed in high spirits, and all you guys helped make the day great, despite the hiccups.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ALLSKIING said:
andyzee said:
Looks like this year mother nature was a real tease, anyone see the latest pic from Wildcat. It is sad indeed http://www.skiwildcat.com/show_image.html?id=362&rand=
Looks like spring :eek: Did I miss the entire season :lol: .

If you search the threads, you'll see that numerous phone calls were made, you didn't answer, people suggested calling the police, but then the snow started falling and we just kind of forgot about you :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the pic from the cat is better than i thought it would look. i think upper mountain trails that were groomed or well packed will still be skiable this weekend, but top to bottom and likely even top to middle turns are out of the question.