• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Opens Friday!

Breeze

ga2ski said:
here are some pix from wildcat from opening day.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Trail report to follow after I take a shower.

I agree with Breeze on my arms not being long enough to get back up after falling.

Breeze-i was one of those on BlackCat and under the quad lift lift. They were amazing. Who would have thought you could drop from boulder to boulder and not hit solid rock, just powder.

you are telling your own story, dude, and thats a whole lot better than me relaying what I heard you say....

your pics from the top of WC are just exquisite. Thats whats up there, Wildcat isn't cookin or smokin the goods.

Thanks for being there today.

Breeze

Breeze

Powderhound21 said:
Wow man, that is insane. Props to the cat for the early opening.

I cant wait to get in that stuff!

Breeze- What are the chances of you guys opening up next friday through the weekend?

its all "weather dependant". No one would forecast the dumper that brought this stuff this hard so early. Stay tuned. Could go back to, shorts, tevas, and T shirts, 60 degrees, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Don't mistake me for a paid weather-person. They get bucks to guess right or wrong and I am just like you, living on the edge.

Breeze

Greg

Staff member
ga2ski said:
here are some pix from wildcat from opening day.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Trail report to follow after I take a shower.

I agree with Breeze on my arms not being long enough to get back up after falling.

Breeze-i was one of those on BlackCat and under the quad lift lift. They were amazing. Who would have thought you could drop from boulder to boulder and not hit solid rock, just powder.
:eek: Wow! Thanks for that!

Treeskier

Skied yesturday...Well worth the trip

Skied on opening day. Yesturday. Well worth the trip! They dropped ropes all day. Skied untracked snow even on my last run at 3:30. I also learned they sold enought tickets to make the day profitable. Thanks Wildcat!

PS I took 93 past Cannon and up and over to Wildcat. A little longer but no traffic. On the way back I went through N. Conway....What a cluster...The roads where all dug up for sewer work. But I then took the Kangamangus which had newly paved roads and was ablosulutly beautiful!

Ski Yah!

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
riverc0il said:
as for the rest of us, let's get out and hit wildcat and put $30 each into wildcat's coffers for the effort! time to show that early season offerings can be profitable for ski areas, time to show that it is possible and can be done and the paying customers need to put up or shut up. put our money where our mouths are in regards to ski areas opening up earlier.

I will, you wanna pick me up... it is only a 4 hour detour to from lyndonville :wink:
I'm not sure how serious you were with this Austin, but I just wanted to chime in here. First of all, obviously, this is nothing against Steve who is a great guy (met him personally). With that said, Austin - how would your parents feel about this? Know this: no 16 year old kid of mine would ever be allowed to hitch a ride with someone he met on an Internet forum. Secondly, I would personally feel terrible if anything happened to you by someone you met on this site. I would also be surprised if anyone here would be comfortable taking you, as they'd be liable for your safety, etc. I know the natural inclination of a teenager is to want to grow up Austin, but you have plenty of time for that as well as using a forum like this to meet up with like-minded folks, once you're a young adult. Now if you and your dad wanted to meet up with AZers for a gathering, that's a totally different thing. Sorry for the rant; it's just the parent in me talking...

awf170

Greg said:
awf170 said:
riverc0il said:
as for the rest of us, let's get out and hit wildcat and put $30 each into wildcat's coffers for the effort! time to show that early season offerings can be profitable for ski areas, time to show that it is possible and can be done and the paying customers need to put up or shut up. put our money where our mouths are in regards to ski areas opening up earlier.

I will, you wanna pick me up... it is only a 4 hour detour to from lyndonville :wink:
I'm not sure how serious you were with this Austin, but I just wanted to chime in here. First of all, obviously, this is nothing against Steve who is a great guy (met him personally). With that said, Austin - how would your parents feel about this? Know this: no 16 year old kid of mine would ever be allowed to hitch a ride with someone he met on an Internet forum. Secondly, I would personally feel terrible if anything happened to you by someone you met on this site. I would also be surprised if anyone here would be comfortable taking you, as they'd be liable for your safety, etc. I know the natural inclination of a teenager is to want to grow up Austin, but you have plenty of time for that as well as using a forum like this to meet up with like-minded folks, once you're a young adult. Now if you and your dad wanted to meet up with AZers for a gathering, that's a totally different thing. Sorry for the rant; it's just the parent in me talking...

I was just kidding, My parents wouldnt let me hitch a ride with someone they or me never met. I would probably hook up with someone at a ski area by myself though, if my parents let me go by myself this winter(they probably will) then they would rather have me ski with some I never met before then ski by myself, anyway ill be 17 by this winter so its not that young.... well compared to all the old farts on this site it is :wink: :lol:

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
I was just kidding, My parents wouldnt let me hitch a ride with someone they or me never met. I would probably hook up with someone at a ski area by myself though, if my parents let me go by myself this winter(they probably will) then they would rather have me ski with some I never met before then ski by myself, anyway ill be 17 by this winter so its not that young.... well compared to all the old farts on this site it is :wink: :lol:
Good to hear...just looking out for ya...

NHpowderhound

When I was in my early-mid 20's I brought a 16y/o from my store to Wildcat(with permission from his mother who was a cashier). On the last run of the day he caught an edge and flew of the side of the trail,whacked his head on a snowmaking pipe, landed on the other side of it in the woods,knocked himself unconsious and proceeded to throw up while bleeding from his head. Ski patrol got him out of the woods and transported him to Memorial hospital via ambulance for an MRI, CAT scan,and observation. He ended up being ok with just a concussion. But let me tell you, the phone call I had to make to his mother from the hospital was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. " Hello? Yeah, this is NHPH and I know I said I'd take good care of your son, but right now the hospital needs your permission to give him a CAT scan and MRI for the brain injury he might potentially have. Dont wory because he stopped throwing up and he's no longer bleeding from the head."
Luckily she diddn't sue me and eventually quit. :beer:
((*
*))NHPH

Breeze

Treeskier--

You know about the Bear Notch Road ( left) from Kank via Lincoln) to 302 in Bartlett?? comes out on 302 at the Bartlett Elementary School, hang a right to Glen and a left on 16......

It doesn't do any good in real winter, because its closed, but it does cutoff the Conway Cluster when its open, and it still is OPEN.

There ya go--- next time you drive up, it'll probably be "real winter".

:wink:

Breeze

Breeze

Thank you all for your happy messages about Wildcat and our "epic" early opening.

I am truly beat, today was like a midwinter weekend inside the lodge as well as out. Kicked our butts, and we were often dismayed that we couldn't be "fully" open, with rentals, daycare, and lift/lesson/rental packages, to take care of all the demand. I know we disappointed some folks with lack of full services. For that I am truly sorry.

Kickstarting a ski area on 2-days notice, we simply could not hit all the notes.

This weekend truly is a time at Wildcat to "Treat" those who can help themselves to the frosting.

I'll share a moment from this morning. I was getting some BS from a customer ( a regular at WC who never buys a season pass and never pays full price for a ticket, making his life's work a patchwork of discount shopping and coupon cutting). I've seen his face many many times and he always has something to say....

"You should be ashamed of yourself, charging this much for a ticket with only one lift open. This is an outrage!".

My usual tack is to look straight back into the eyes with dead silence for long enough to get the point across that I consider this to be a dead issue, and I did just that.

The customer behind him in line forcefully butted a finger into his arm, and said

" Look at your watch,Pal, its October 29th and the Mountain is Open. Shut up and pay up. There is a line behind you. "

So, to someone out there, whether you read here or not..... someone who " got the point" and stuck it back to a stranger....

I'm saying.....

" I love you, too. " Thanks for the boost, smooches, {{}}'s, and may the snow snake never cross your chosen line.

One of the online posters fingered me today, guess I'm outed.

Breeze.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
man, how does any one complain when the cat opens in friggin october! most people usually pay a lot more at the cat to only "ski one lift" when the quad is running. bobcat is usually for racers and i have sadly only seen the tomcat triple spin when the quad is not spinning. so unless you are a racer or a n00b, you only ever ski one lift at the cat whether it's early season, mid, or late! that guy should go check out kmart if he wants more lifts for his buck! :lol: i'll be making my appearance at the cat on sunday now that i got some juice in my car again :D hopefully i can still find some untracked somewhere on the upper mountain, prob slim pickings by now though.

Breeze

Rc,
I think you'll still find some Personal Stash @ WC tomorrow. Patrol was out this afternoon dropping some more ropes, looking at the glades, assessing safe access and egress from here and there.

Your choice, Wildcat or K. Looks like the same price point, $39 bucks for the lift ticket.

Ski on !

Breeze

kickstand

Breeze said:
Thank you all for your happy messages about Wildcat and our "epic" early opening.

I am truly beat, today was like a midwinter weekend inside the lodge as well as out. Kicked our butts, and we were often dismayed that we couldn't be "fully" open, with rentals, daycare, and lift/lesson/rental packages, to take care of all the demand. I know we disappointed some folks with lack of full services. For that I am truly sorry.

Kickstarting a ski area on 2-days notice, we simply could not hit all the notes.

This weekend truly is a time at Wildcat to "Treat" those who can help themselves to the frosting.

I'll share a moment from this morning. I was getting some BS from a customer ( a regular at WC who never buys a season pass and never pays full price for a ticket, making his life's work a patchwork of discount shopping and coupon cutting). I've seen his face many many times and he always has something to say....

"You should be ashamed of yourself, charging this much for a ticket with only one lift open. This is an outrage!".

My usual tack is to look straight back into the eyes with dead silence for long enough to get the point across that I consider this to be a dead issue, and I did just that.

The customer behind him in line forcefully butted a finger into his arm, and said

" Look at your watch,Pal, its October 29th and the Mountain is Open. Shut up and pay up. There is a line behind you. "

So, to someone out there, whether you read here or not..... someone who " got the point" and stuck it back to a stranger....

I'm saying.....

" I love you, too. " Thanks for the boost, smooches, {{}}'s, and may the snow snake never cross your chosen line.

One of the online posters fingered me today, guess I'm outed.

Breeze.

unreal - a freakin local finding something to complain about when they are skiing on OCTOBER 29!!!!! I worked last night, and ended up doing housework all day (had to stick around in case anything went from last night). If I had half a brain, I'd be writing this from my place in Intervale. All day, it's been killing me. I've been tossing out random comments to my wife about Wildcat - and this jackass is COMPLAINING????? WTF is wrong with people?!?!?! And the fact that its a local is even more baffling....

Good for the guy behind him. Wish more people had the stones to do something like that. During ANY day in the season, you should be happy to be out and about. October 29, Christ, you should be turning cartwheels all the way down the notch....

Breeze, sounds like you work the ticket line. I'd say look out for me, but if I described myself, I'd be describing probably 1/4 of your customer base....

ga2ski

Breeze - I'm sure I spoke with you on Friday as I spoke with both the women at the ticket counter that morning. I'm sure you don't rememeber, but you might as I was the one that asked if WC beat out K.

As a similar note when i was leaving at 2 on frinday there was a guy in the parking lot trying to get buy a ticket off others done for the day and i said "it's only 30 bucks to go skiing in October. Go inside." Besides I wanted to keep my ticket and hang it in my cube. Little did I know but I lost my ticket on my last run on StarrLine. Do you have any extras?

bt

10/29 at the cat was unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my whole body hurts sooooo good

can't believe someone actually bitched about the price it was worth every penny. like a dollar a run