• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Summit Building

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Is the summit building atop Wildcat (near the summit of "D" peak) open during ski season and operating hours? I'll be hiking up on the ridge this weekend and it would be great to know if at the midpoint I can warm up, get water, use a toilet?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Since I'll be there as well... :)

There's not much comfort in the building if I remember. Just a place to get out of the wind. I don't remember their being restrooms either, but it was a few years ago that I was in there.

-dave-

molecan

When you refer to the Summit building, I assume you mean the old Gondola station.

The building used to have a small cafe in the bottom, bathrooms, etc. But has been closed for at least the past 3 years, perhaps longer.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
So no shelter at all this weekend, then? Not even just a place to step out of the wind?

That kind of sux, given the forecast temperatures. Sigh. Thanks!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
yea, that building is shut up to the best of my knowledge. it will block the wind, but so will the trees on the trail. can't believe you are hiking this weekend! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

Mike P.

Low Teens in Gorham forecasted for the weekend, That's only a few degrees colder than normal, not that we've had normal temps this year.

I'll be there a day behind him on Monday, probably looking for a place to cool off.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Mike P. said:
Low Teens in Gorham forecasted for the weekend, That's only a few degrees colder than normal, not that we've had normal temps this year.
good point regarding what is typically normal. low teens seems frigid compared to normal this year. i guess i was focusing too much on the lows instead of the highs. lows in the negative teens this weekend over here, but that won't effect day time hiking, enjoy!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Teens will be fine, especially with good sunlight! Most of the ridge is sheltered, too, so only at the platform should we feel much wind.

Teens will mean *dry* which will be nice for a change. :)