• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woods at Okemo?

Angus

I skied once at Okemo a few years back, there was a woods trail right in the middle of that new Jackson something or other area. It had a hairy entrance as I recall or maybe the snow coverage was poor. On the other side of the mountain - left looking up the mountain. there was one or two tree runs that were alot of fun. I just looked at a map of the place - upper wild thing and black hole maybe.

2knees

woods for the first half, bumps the second half.

sorry if you've seen this already.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
thanks for the vid. those are pretty "clean" woods compared to the face-smacks I'm used to getting! ;) I came out with a bloody nose one day (Stowe, I think) and didn't even notice it till I got to the rest room!

2knees

thanks for the vid. those are pretty "clean" woods compared to the face-smacks I'm used to getting! ;) I came out with a bloody nose one day (Stowe, I think) and didn't even notice it till I got to the rest room!

nothing tight on the map that i skied. there was another glade, black hole, that was slightly tighter and steeper but it was pretty short. I did see some tracks over on the south peak area that i was tempted to follow but thought against it.

funny thing about the glade in the above video, supernova. The brush and saplings, as you noted, are really cleared out in the official part. I repeatedly tried to head way to the sides only to be turned back by the underbrush. they really define where the glade starts and ends, in my limited experience there.

It was, however, alot of fun.

Morewood

There are the usual named runs...Double Diamond and Outrage....well spaced trees, snowmaking at the top of double diamond ensure decent coverage especially with blow over coverage from the guns...bumps and fairly steep (not like Stowe steep though) Forrest Bump is a little tighter spaced trees but not as steep but it's fun...then theres Supernova and black hole are fun over at jackson gore area...some rock drops and stuff (nothing big) good for a few runs.

Then there is the unmarked gade off of Upper Punch line (skiers left) which is steep and tigher more Stowe(esq) this leads into the bottom of DD...I have a place at Okemo...so if you come up shoot me a PM...there are a few "local" stashes nothing extreme but still fun...plus I'm always looking for someone to ski the trees with...my family perfers the groomers...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
..I have a place at Okemo...so if you come up shoot me a PM...

thanks, I should have guessed you like woods from your screen name. my kids will do woods with me, for a while. Eventually I hear, "it's too much work!" and they bail, but they are good sports. I'll drop you a PM when it looks like I am in the area, no promises, but I'll see what I can do.

Morewood

thanks, I should have guessed you like woods from your screen name. my kids will do woods with me, for a while. Eventually I hear, "it's too much work!" and they bail, but they are good sports. I'll drop you a PM when it looks like I am in the area, no promises, but I'll see what I can do.

Cool...let me know...like I said nothing like Stowe but still fun for a day or so...plus it's a great family mountain...dad get some tree's and bumps and the fam' gets the groomers...it's tough convincing my wife to let me bring our 3yr old into the woods with me :roll: I keep telling her that he's ready but she just ain't buying it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Cool...let me know...like I said nothing like Stowe but still fun for a day or so...plus it's a great family mountain...dad get some tree's and bumps and the fam' gets the groomers...it's tough convincing my wife to let me bring our 3yr old into the woods with me :roll: I keep telling her that he's ready but she just ain't buying it!

Kids in the woods are a natural. Not at age 3, maybe age 6 and definitely not too deep pow, or they won't move. Their short skis, low profile make navigating tight turns a breeze for them. Falls are uneventful. Dadgum it, when my kids were 6, they were snowplowing it through the glades at pretty good speed and didn't complain once :blink: One of them still does (it hurts to even think about it!)

Last edited:

Morewood

Kids in the woods are a natural. Not at age 3, maybe age 6 and definitely not too deep pow, or they won't move. Their short skis, low profile make navigating tight turns a breeze for them. Falls are uneventful. Dadgum it, when my kids were 6, they were snowplowing it through the glades at pretty good speed and didn't complain once :blink: One of them still does (it hurts to even think about it!)

Totally agree with ya! I just like busting on wife...hope to see at OK...EMO sometime

Mikey1

I was at Okemo last weekend and saw people in the woods in places I had never seen them before. Of course the bountiful snow has a lot to do with that. Loose Spruce and Forest Bump were excellent, as well as "powerline", and unmarked but clearly visible tree area off the Glades Peak chair. I even saw people skiing in the woods on either side of Arrow, a green trail in the middle of the mountain. Today's weather may have put the kabosh on some of this, but keep your fingers crossed for this weekend's storm to refresh the woods! Okemo doesn't get a lot of love on this board, but there are some decent gladed areas and some nice seeded bump runs!