• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worth trading in or just silly?

BackLoafRiver

Hey all,

Need some advice and was hoping you all could help.

Right now, I am driving a 2008 Mazda 3 sedan. It has 60k on it. All original miles. (I drive a lot. Back and forth to the mountain, home to VT to see the fam, etc)

I was thinking about getting into a different car. The issues I have with mine:

1) lack of storage space. The trunk is so tiny. If I go on a trip with the lady, I dont have enough room to bring my ski gear on top of all the luggage. Also, if I am with a group of people going skiing, the max I can fit in my car = 3 people.

2) handling in winter. FWD vs AWD. I did some reading on whether or not AWD was necessary. For me, I tend to be out on nasty snow days when I get the call that there is no school. As soon as my administration calls, I am out the door. Is it that much of an upgrade?

I will say, I do love how the 3 handles during the summer. Fun, snappy, and pretty sporty. Never driven any of the others.

I was looking at possibly an 07 outback, maybe a forester, or a CR-V. Can't afford a new vehicle as I am upside down in equity. (not by much now, but enough to make a difference) Also, a 2010 outback would make my payments double what they are now.

It seems, from everything I have read, that the interior of both the outback and forester is nearly identical to the Mazda.

So, there's the situation. Thoughts? Obviously I go back and forth.

As always, opinions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
well, space seems to be the dealbreaker here.

Have you driven your 3 with real snow tires? that might whup the handling issue in the winter. General consensus is that 4 snows trump awd. It's also cheaper than a car upgrade.

hammer

well, space seems to be the dealbreaker here.

Have you driven your 3 with real snow tires? that might whup the handling issue in the winter. General consensus is that 4 snows trump awd. It's also cheaper than a car upgrade.
+1...if the space problem isn't a critical issue, then I'd just get a cheap set of wheels and put snows on during the winter months.

Philpug

I have an 09 Forester Premium that I will be returning off lease. Buyout right now is in the upper 17's if you want to consider that.

bvibert

Staff member
4 snow tires and a roof rack for ski trips. That takes care of winter handling and the space issues, and it still way cheaper and less hassle than buying a new car. IMHO

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just got rid of an 04 Subaru Legacy Wagon for an 04 Mazda 3 Hatchback. NO FRICKIN' WAY would I take a Subaru over the Mazda. Much, much, much better built car.

Trade your 3 Sedan in for the Hatch b4 Subaru. Plenty of storage in the 3 Hatchback.

campgottagopee

Worth trading or just silly----only you can answer that but let me just point out a couple things.

1. Mazda 3 is a very nice car and it sounds like you're in a good payment range for yourself, so do you really want to increase your monthly expense???

2. You mentioned your in a neg-equity position, well, most people are so your not alone. That situation will get worse if you trade right now---not good to get to burried.

3. You said you can't go new----right now ISN"T the time to look at used. The used car market is SOARING high right now, again, all pointing to not a good time to trade.

4. Room sounds like your main goal here---like others have said I would invest in a Thule rack and snows.

5.Good luck

wa-loaf

If you are still making payments on the Mazda does trading it in really make sense?

What everyone else said: Snow tires + roof box.

Don't listen to DHS, he got a lemon and has it out for Subarus. I have an 05 Outback and haven't had any major issues in almost 5 years of driving it.

BackLoafRiver

Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate the advice. I will look into the Thule Box (as I already have a set-up for my MTB) and some snows. Looks like it will be around $400 for the box. I will research the tires and see if I can find a decent setup for my 3.

Thanks again!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes indeed, I do have it for Subaru, but it goes beyond that car being a Lemon. Maybe because it was a base model, but the only car I've ever owned that felt more cheap in every way imaginable was my Mexican built 1988 VW Fox.

My brother thinks his 98 Outback is garbage outside of the AWD. My old housemate in the late 90s had an Imprezza, constantly had issues. Another roomate in college had a Legacy Wagon, piece of junk as well.

Some people love Subarus. All experiences close to me says outside of the AWD, everything else is cheap, cheap, cheap that they put into them.

bvibert

Staff member
A box is nice since you can use it to carry other things than just skis, but ski carriers are much cheaper and at least they'll get the skis out of the car.

Check out tirerack.com for snow tires.

campgottagopee

Yes indeed, I do have it for Subaru, but it goes beyond that car being a Lemon. Maybe because it was a base model, but the only car I've ever owned that felt more cheap in every way imaginable was my Mexican built 1988 VW Fox.

My brother thinks his 98 Outback is garbage outside of the AWD. My old housemate in the late 90s had an Imprezza, constantly had issues. Another roomate in college had a Legacy Wagon, piece of junk as well.

Some people love Subarus. All experiences close to me says outside of the AWD, everything else is cheap, cheap, cheap that they put into them.

Dude, you really gotta get out of the 90's:grin:

BackLoafRiver

A box is nice since you can use it to carry other things than just skis, but ski carriers are much cheaper and at least they'll get the skis out of the car.

Check out tirerack.com for snow tires.

Just looked up some stuff on tirerack. They recommend some Dunlop SP winter tires. Reviews seem pretty good. At $380/ 4 tires, seems fairly reasonable. I will keep reading reviews.

skijay

I thought the Fox sedan & wagons imported to the US were built in Brazil.

Edd

I've had a very good experience with my 02 Legacy but things are starting to worry me approaching 150k miles.

The new Forester is under consideration but I'm a tad worried about gas mileage considering the inevitable price increase and the amount of driving I do. Still using 4 speed autos in these things while the CVT in the new Legacy and Outbacks are getting 31 mpg highway.

The Hyundai Elantra Touring (wagon) is also something I'm thinking about. Not as big as my Legacy wagon but it's the size an Impreza should be. Nice options (and standard ESC) for under $19000 new. 4 snow tires should do the trick.

Geoff

Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate the advice. I will look into the Thule Box (as I already have a set-up for my MTB) and some snows. Looks like it will be around $400 for the box. I will research the tires and see if I can find a decent setup for my 3.

Thanks again!

Try to find the wheels for your snows used. There should be plenty of gear heads who have upgraded to fancy alloy rims. Try to find the box used.

BackLoafRiver

Bump for a "just my luck" kinda story.

I meant to post this last week but internet access was limited at best.

In short, I have been car-less for 10 days. The power steering on my '08 went out while doing a bottle drive with the students. Thank god the car was in park and no kids were in the car at the time.

The short version...$1200 repair that, after a call to Mazda CS, they decided to cover. The car is out of warranty but, my guess is that with all the bad press Toyota is getting, they decided to eat the $$ and just get it done. Plus, I guess the '08 Mazda 3's have a bulletin out for the power steering pump. Huge issues. Apparently, my clutch is also going. This mazda will not be covering. Looking at a hefty cost here. Gonna do it at a local repair shop. Just my luck.

In theory, I get it back in a bit. The real pisser, I was on break last week and was planning on skiing 5 out of 6 days. My GF is a saint and lent me her car for a day to head to Kingfield.