• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Would Killington have opened if Wildcat didn't?

Would Killington have opened if Wildcat didn't?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Who cares?

• Total voters

LineSki15

I think Wildcat has some of the best terrain in the east, granted I haven't skied burke or mad river, which I hear are good too.
They also have good snow a lot of the time. I'm pissed I couldn't make it up there this past weekend.

JimG.

Staff member
LineSki15 said:
I think Wildcat has some of the best terrain in the east, granted I haven't skied burke or mad river, which I hear are good too.
They also have good snow a lot of the time. I'm pissed I couldn't make it up there this past weekend.

I love the old school places.

Never been to Burke, but many here rave about it and it definitely sounds old school.

MRG is the oldest of old school and it's my favorite ski area in the east; it's got a special vibe that's found nowhere else.

I hear you about this weekend, but a 6 hour drive each way for me was just to much for a day trip.

Tyrolean_skier

I was a little ticked off that Killington was not open on Friday but the hike for my turns was worth it. I even did my first poach on Royal Flush. The conditions were superb higher up on the mountain. Spoke to the snowmakers on the way up. They had to shut down the snowmaking because of the temperature rising. I even asked if I could be the ginney pig on the Snowden Quad (they were testing it) but was told no. No way that Killington would have passed up the kind of weekend we had. They decided to open on Saturday to get more people to the mountain. I did see some day tickets but most of the people were passholders like me. The line at 8 AM was quite long for the K-1 but the rest of the day I never had to wait long to get on a lift. I had to head home Saturday night so I missed out on another fabulous day on Sunday.

Breeze

I'll never give up my employers sales/expense numbers to make anyone happy, or to prove a point. Its privileged information, period.

But SOMEONE else on this forum got it right. Wildcat did NOT have to blow snow to connect base to top, DID have enough available staff to ( just) pull off a sleeper, and we were just lucky enough to be in the right place and the right time in the storm stream.

Location is everything. Wildcat may be so retro as to not excite your curiosity or take you out of your way, but by being First in the East, we got a good look by many who would not have thought to make the trip otherwise.

What good was ALL THAT POW if we didn't share it, open it, groom what we could, drop ropes, turn blind eye to hike/shoe/skin/posthole/ and say on the ticket line ( quietly) if you can get there, you can ski it, at your own risk??

Well, we took that risk, on VERY short notice and we were well rewarded for doing so.

Somewhere in real time, there are bean-counters who live to sort beans one from another. Then there are skiers who will only recognize beans in their chili when the beans displace the beef. Wildcat did not substitute any beans for beef, last weekend. And we aren't claiming even beans this weekend, either.

Great weekend. Thanks for your support !!

Breeze