• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WTB Rock Skis or rock ski shopping advice

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I don't have any skis bad enough to be considered "rock skis", and I'm really killing my bases this year. I want to get a pair of skis good enough to ski in marginal OOB, closed, trees, and other places most people wouldn't dare go, without spending a lot of money. I think I've spent more in PTEX than the skis cost :blink:

I am ultimately looking for skis that are: used a few years, good bindings, in the 160's-ish length range, with enough edge left that I can get back onto the hardpack trails and carve a bit. I'm pretty sure I don't want fats, but I do need some flex. (My prob. is that I went many years without buying and my last skis are very long.)

Last year, I picked up some used Volkl 724's for eastern powder days, I am considering sacrificing them to the rock pile. Advice?

If you can recommend a good model or type to troll for on ebay, or if you've got something you want to unload, please let me know.

Thanks,

campgottagopee

Wish I could hep but I can't. I don't get all wrapped up in "worrying" about the bottoms of my skis. I know people do because I ski with a few of them. They say I have no respect for my skis because of where and when I take them, but to me they're just skis and I'm not going to let a rock or 2 stop me from having fun. Sorry, no help here.

roark

...I'm really killing my bases this year. I want to get a pair of skis good enough to ski in marginal OOB, closed, trees, and other places most people wouldn't dare go, without spending a lot of money. I think I've spent more in PTEX than the skis cost :blink:
Sounds like you've got some rockers in the making right there.

Treat yourself and buy another nice new pair.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Wish I could hep but I can't. I don't get all wrapped up in "worrying" about the bottoms of my skis. I know people do because I ski with a few of them. They say I have no respect for my skis because of where and when I take them, but to me they're just skis and I'm not going to let a rock or 2 stop me from having fun. Sorry, no help here.

my problem is that I'm running into rocks by the dozen. I just had my bases p-texed on Monday. By Wednesday, I had at least seven major gouges of at least 6" or more and another half dozen moderate size. Came very close to blowing out the edge - they would have been toast.

jack97

when married, it's easier said than done!

One option is to get a brand pair of the same skis. Off season you can get them cheap and you already know how they feel. IMO, the new models have maxed out in terms of new features, its more about getting you to buy a new ski.

campgottagopee

my problem is that I'm running into rocks by the dozen. I just had my bases p-texed on Monday. By Wednesday, I had at least seven major gouges of at least 6" or more and another half dozen moderate size. Came very close to blowing out the edge - they would have been toast.

I hear ya and share your pain, but don't let it ruin your day.:) Do you p-tex yourself??? It's real easy and very cheap---no real rocket science involved at all. See hole-fill hole-make hole flat. Ifin you blow out an edge there are 2 choices. 1, take it to a shop so they can bang and weld back in, or simply use that as your outside edge and let 'em rip.

I truly used to let ski "scars" ruin my day. In fact my best ski buddy still does. Every time we make a run and he hears that awful "crunch" he stops, flips his ski off and starts whining. I laugh at him and tell him to man up and just ski. We're not racing so a little base missing won't bother at all. Ever since I changed my attitude about this my days really are more enjoyable. Good luck and have fun....just my .02

bigbog

Billski,
FWIW...my G3s(99' model) are wearing out...my Fischer RX6s seem like they'll make an excellent rock ski.
Hey..I go along with the camp...I'm constantly working on my G3s...and don't regret a minute...but Geez, how I wish I could find some new/unskied ~99' G3s...(the original model, not the 01' G3 = "the rental log" Volkl engineers designed during Octoberfest)

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

Are you doing the repair work yourself, Bill?

jack97

a-ha! that works until she sees the bill :)

As the statement goes.... "better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission".

A corollary to this would be that once she sees a 50% reduce price.... the punishment gets less harsh.

madskier6

WOW. Where the hell have you been skiing this season? :wink: There has been a lotta snow out there so far.

In all seriousness, I know. Sometimes the gouges just come in bunches. Hopefully you won't have any more damage because the snow conditions will be too good for that kinda thing for the rest of the season. :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
WOW. Where the hell have you been skiing this season? :wink: There has been a lotta snow out there so far.

In all seriousness, I know. Sometimes the gouges just come in bunches. Hopefully you won't have any more damage because the snow conditions will be too good for that kinda thing for the rest of the season. :lol:

I "sometimes" tend to go where you're not supposed to g;-).

bigbog

....sounds like....

...billski,
Loosen Up! you trench digger;-) ...and try using something that'll offer a little more float when the snow's soft... ;-);-);-)
Hey, you know you don't have to make an excuse for that...those places "where you're not supposed to go" is what makes life/skiing fun & interesting...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
...billski,
Loosen Up! you trench digger;-) ...and try using something that'll offer a little more float when the snow's soft... ;-);-);-)
Hey, you know you don't have to make an excuse for that...those places "where you're not supposed to go" is what makes life/skiing fun & interesting...

you are spot-on. I was skiing on my carvers. I was so dang excited to get into the pow, I packed the wrong skis.

I have a real problem when I get out on a variable day and hit hardpack with my mid-fats. I am an absolute klutz. I wish I had auto-adjust waist width.

I get bored when I ski the same trail more than once (even the same resort), I seem to be drawn to "new and unusual" terrain. Plus, if I knew where I was going, I might be able to miss the geological wonders. Fat chance. That's why I hate boulevard trails. Maybe I should just get an all-metal base and forget about it. I am a very bad candidate for a ski pass.

Take me to your powder, sir!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Are you doing the repair work yourself, Bill?

Nope. I used to. I do know how easy it is. Unfortunately I have an all-consuming life which seems to prohibit that. I also seem to have become more wreckless and wild in my old age, at least with regard to skiing. Kinda the inverse of most people. Midlife crisis is a component I'm sure.
:daffy: