• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You Can Lease Blue Hills

deadheadskier

Staff member
In our 2024 climate, the best plan for Blue Hills is probably to convert it to a year round lift serviced MTB destination.

Lucky to get a 50 day ski season out of the place most years at this point. If you can't operate at least 100 days, how is it even worth it?

thetrailboss

Staff member
In our 2024 climate, the best plan for Blue Hills is probably to convert it to a year round lift serviced MTB destination.

Lucky to get a 50 day ski season out of the place most years at this point. If you can't operate at least 100 days, how is it even worth it?
It’s been 20 years or since I skied there. I used to hike around it in the offseason. The amount of constant vandalism and graffiti was unreal. I don’t envy the people who take it on.

Killingtime

The application says all proposals due by June 15, 2018. I guess we're a little late. Anyway, they are closing tomorrow for the season. The one webcam looks sad indeed.

SLyardsale

i grew up in weymouth and on BH and then came back to it mid 2000's when my kids raced in HS in ski east league. besides the recent winters, your dealing with MA DRC and water for snow making comes from the town of milton municipal, like your hose from your house. you know how towns like when you fill your pool with town water... MA is too concerned with woke to care about blue hills as a ski area.

The Egan's should take it on. They grew up in Milton and cut their teeth at BH. Add it to the Tenney pass - like ragged did when the Endriunas Bros, ran the lease for BH (and didn't pay the water bill and let the insurance lapse)

doublediamond

Why does the state refuse to grant longer term leases for Blue Hills? Wawa has a 25 or 30 year lease. No one is going to invest anything significant if they may be out in 5 years.

And no the Eagans shouldn’t take on Blue Hills until Tenney is fully in order: meaning new summit lift, fully operating snowmaking system to the summit, and beginner lift on the ski area side of the road (not using the platter for lessons).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why does the state refuse to grant longer term leases for Blue Hills? Wawa has a 25 or 30 year lease. No one is going to invest anything significant if they may be out in 5 years.

And no the Eagans shouldn’t take on Blue Hills until Tenney is fully in order: meaning new summit lift, fully operating snowmaking system to the summit, and beginner lift on the ski area side of the road (not using the platter for lessons).

Not sure they can afford a new summit lift. That's a real long lift for a FG chair in 2024. At minimum, I'd recommend they put in a mid station. On the Hornet side, if you aren't going over to Sweet William and nearby glades, I prefer the terrain from about 2/3rds up and down. Snap Dragon, Morning Glory etc. Having a spot to hop off early with a shorter ride to ski that terrain would be nice.

Tenney is interesting, instead of the run out at the bottom being an annoyance like most places, it's the "run in" from the top that's annoying to me; really because the Hornet is such a slow and long ride.