• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your most memorable day of skiing

ScottySkis

Lots of memories on days the one that stands out the most. Is getting lost at Killington in the glades the day after T day in 2001 it snowed a foot at least that Friday. Me and my friend kept going then we realized around 2pm that were no where near the hill. Started hiking with stuff following other people a few hundred yards a head of us. We call local police and they said they knew about us and the party of head of us and keep going for few miles to we get to the main road. So glad it was not very cold maybe temp in the 20s. Walked for hours went by some campers. Walked through a small stream finally around 7pm we caught up with the group a head of us and they had a pre teen who was scared and tired with them I felt bad for him. The group told us that their friends where driving to pick them up and drive us all back to K parking lot were about 8 to 10 miles away I think. Then their friend calls and says that they hit the snow bank and were waiting for a toll truck. So we called a local cab and it was going to $50 for ten miles trip for everyone, it was big cab. Me and my friend being in our young poor and no extra cash on us so the people in the cab offered to pay for us , when me and friend asked for the addresses so we can mail them the money they would not give that to us. Got back to the car and drove home to Mid Hudson Valley of NY really didnt say much to my friend that drive home. I still have awesome memories of that fanastic snow and now am more careful of backcountry and maps.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
This day was pretty good: 2006 blizzard at Jay. 60+ inches in two days. You could ski pretty much anywhere.

Another very memorable day at Cannon in 2009ish? two+ feet of snow. The lifts were going to be on windhold but they opened them at the last minute (just before I headed back to Burke). Skied the G**B****** chutes for the first time. The very top was windblown and icy but once in the trees, I found and untracked gully that was overhead blower powder. I got to the bottom where another guy had traversed into the gully. He had watched me come down and said if that he go the chills just watching me come down and he couldn't imagine how good it was to actually have skied it.

Finally, my day at Crystal Mtn, WA. They had received 12" of powder overnight and I was excited. They have some really cool terrain. However, I rented skis there that were complete garbage. They wouldn't stay on my feet no matter how tight I cranked the bindings. I still tried to ski the expert terrain. Which led to some memorable wipeouts as the skis pre-released when flexed.

fbrissette

Which trail is it at 2:15 ? I've skied this mountain inside out and I can't place it. The clouds in the back play tricks on me. Bottom of face chute ?