• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

slatham

I can't vouch for crowd size vs last year, but I can tell you all it was an absolutely incredible day and experience. Even though Mileala didn't win, she killed it coming in 2nd and the energy at the end was in incredible. Great day. Well done Killington! Those with other threads claiming Killington failed are being selfish and missing the bigger picture.

drjeff

I can't vouch for crowd size vs last year, but I can tell you all it was an absolutely incredible day and experience. Even though Mileala didn't win, she killed it coming in 2nd and the energy at the end was in incredible. Great day. Well done Killington! Those with other threads claiming Killington failed are being selfish and missing the bigger picture.
110% agree!! Killington knocked it out of the park today!! They upped their game after being overwhelmed last year from the crowd size, and totally killed it!!

All of the fans also appreciated all the racers! And while Mikeala Shiffrin by far and away got the loudest cheers of the day, every time any of the women crested the top of "Preston's Pitch" and came into view of the crowds in the finish area, it got loud!!

I doubt that the FIS and/or the USSA will be looking to move a weekend of races away from the East Coast once the contract with K ends after next year's races, as long as K still wants to host, after the success it's been thus far! Aspen may be off the Women's schedule and just a World Championship venue for a while IMHO!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

doublediamond

Aspen burned bridges by putting the WC Finals in an abandoned lodge. FIS and the racers were pissed. Aspen won't be getting any WC-calibre competition for a long time.

I too see Killington getting more contracts following next year. Warmest October on record and K still managed to get the venue built out with more terrain open than last year.

jimmywilson69

Watched this morning and coverage by NBC was great. So cool to have 18k people there. Even Bodie commented on the much better atmosphere at Killington than out west. That speaks a lot to the skiing community and the host mountain.

I hope they continue this for years and they are successful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

catherine

Killington certainly did knock it out of the park. We got there early, the shuttle busses where timely, security a breeze, and the skiing was pretty good with 27 trails open. The crowd was incredible. The cheering when the racers came in sight, WOW!

Glenn

That's awesome! Great to see a successful major ski race in New England.

Jcb890

Great to see a successful event by Killington after a tough early-season with the weather being warmer than everyone hoped.

doublediamond

Looks like SuperStar is scheduled to open tomorrow per the updated trail report. Cat on the hill grooming it right now.

skiur

Tickets on sale now, heard Killingtons server could not keep up with demand, anybody here get tickets?

drjeff

Tickets on sale now, heard Killingtons server could not keep up with demand, anybody here get tickets?

I was locked out until about 9:17, then I was able to get the parking passes for Saturday that I wanted. Tried going back on about 9:35 to get 2 grandstand tickets for a friend for Saturday and they appeared to be sold out by then.

Considering the last 2 years I wasn't able to get in to even be able to find out that all tickets and parking passes for the day I wanted to go were sold out until almost 10, I consider this an improvement this year. Also have what has to amount to a few thousand extra parking spaces via the Vale lot available, likely helped being able to get K-1 parking passes this morning when I did. I get that the Vale lot used to be free, vs the $20 it is this year, but I;m guessing that some people who may have paid the $50 for the k-1 lot chose to take advantage of the $20 Vale lot parking and the shuttle system...

skiur

If its a good start to the year and they can get caper and lower great northern open those $20 vale lot tickets become quite the bargain.

Killingtime

I'll probably just do what I've done the past two years. Hike up the bottom of Superstar and watch from the side. Not the best view but the crowd was great last year. The large screen TV's helped a lot too.