• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sub-$50 lift ticket possible?

abc

I‘m taking a university course this semester. So I didn’t buy any season pass. Figuring I won’t have much spare time, I don’t relish the long drive north to ski. Never mind any trip out west

But having been out of the education system for a while, I forgot there’s such a thing call “spring break”.;) There’s one week in mid-March I will not have any classes.

I don’t have to ski. The so-so weather of this season didn’t escape my notice, as I enjoy the warm weather walking to classes. Still, I’m doing well in class and could use a little R & R. I wouldn’t mind a few days of carefree casual sliding about on snow. (I could cross country, as I’ve been doing so far. But I think it usually gets way too warm for xc by mid-March). Granted, I don’t know what the weather is going to be like. But assuming we’ll have 80%+ terrain open in most places by mid-March?

The challenge becomes how do I get some skiing in without getting taken to the cleaners? It will be for mid-week days. (Skiing on weekends aren’t my favorite in any case). I loosely define a “reasonable” lift ticket cost to be sub-$50/day, on any mountain with over 1000’ vertical and half decent variety of terrain will suffice. Where can I find those unicorns?

OK, maybe up to $60 in a stretch. But I’ll only pay that kind of day rate when the condition is good. So no pre-purchase at that price point.

p.s.
Not getting on a plane. So “out west” is not in the cards.

Last edited:

reefer

Berkshire East if you buy them now on line ($38.00). Limited quantity. They have 4 hour flex tickets for $45.00.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Black Mountain of Maine today. $35 total for me and two kids under 9. Saturday of a school vacation week.

Funny thing is it should have been free because of the Indy Pass. Some reason I totally forgot BMOM was on Indy. Oh well, happy to kick them $35. I'm sure they could use it.

abc

Wow! That’s quite a lot of them. Not at all unicorns. Thanks for all that.

So, since now I’m no longer a “beggar”, I’d like to be a bit more of a “chooser”:

- I’m not going to drive all the way to Maine. That’s just a bit much when I have alternatives closer.

- Also, I’m not sure I care about the MA mountains only because they may not have as good snow as those further north.

So, I’ll at this point focus more on VT, NH and NY. Those of you who are familiar with any of those mountains, go ahead and give me a pitch of their terrain please? I’d appreciate it. (ok, I know Mt Ellen. I’ll definitely hit that if the weather cooperates)

I only need 2 or 3 best candidates in terms of terrain and snow. (Although it’ll be the busy part of the season of spring break, but I’m hoping mid-week shouldn’t be too unbearably busy)

Last edited:

abc

I would actually not assume that, unfortunately.
Ok, that‘s just “assumption”. Subject to change by reality. Let me change that to “I hope“ all mountains will be 80%+ open by mid-March

(That’s another reason I’m a bit doubtful of mountain in MA)

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow! That’s quite a lot of them. Not at all unicorns. Thanks for all that.

So, since now I’m no longer a “beggar”, I’d like to be a bit more of a “chooser”:

- I’m not going to drive all the way to Maine. That’s just a bit much when I have alternatives closer.

- Also, I’m not sure I care about the MA mountains only because they may not have as good snow as those further north.

So, I’ll at this point focus more on VT, NH and NY. Those of you who are familiar with any of those mountains, go ahead and give me a pitch of their terrain please? I’d appreciate it. (ok, I know Mt Ellen. I’ll definitely hit that if the weather cooperates)

I only need 2 or 3 best candidates in terms of terrain and snow. (Although it’ll be the busy part of the season of spring break, but I’m hoping mid-week shouldn’t be too unbearably busy)
If there’s still snow, Burke is usually a good deal. Also the Middlebury Snowbowl is affordable.

Reactions: abc

abc

If they get snow between now and then, non-holiday Fridays at Platty are $63. That place rules.
I used to ski Plattekill a lot when I was a weekend warrior. Good snow, reasonably priced, quiet. But their weekend ticket had gotten quite a way out of my comfort zone. And it get busy on good condition days…

Now that I can ski mid-week, there’re a lot more other places I can ski that are just as good and actually less expensive.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to skied it when it was quiet and inexpensive. But it’s time to move on.

zyk

I used to ski Plattekill a lot when I was a weekend warrior. Good snow, reasonably priced, quiet. But their weekend ticket had gotten quite a way out of my comfort zone. And it get busy on good condition days…

Now that I can ski mid-week, there’re a lot more other places I can ski that are just as good and actually less expensive.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to skied it when it was quiet and inexpensive. But it’s time to move on.
Some years back, maybe 2011 ish I think they had $15 Friday's for the first 100. I showed up, stood out in the cold, and got mine. Very special place indeed. I'll be back in the spring.

abc

How does Dartmouth skiway compare with Middlebury Snow Bowl in terrain and snow?

Never been to either. So should be interesting.

Mum skier

How does Dartmouth skiway compare with Middlebury Snow Bowl in terrain and snow?

Never been to either. So should be interesting.
We went to Dartmouth first time in January. We are normally “fast lifts only” family. But enjoyed Dartmouth. The 2 sides was kind of cute and the lifts did not seem too slow. But not sure how much snow will be left by March.
Tenney is 45 mid week and 65 weekend. Haven’t been, although it would be closest to our weekend house. But might also be strugling for snow by then. And I think those lifts are genuinely slow!

JDMRoma

We went to Dartmouth first time in January. We are normally “fast lifts only” family. But enjoyed Dartmouth. The 2 sides was kind of cute and the lifts did not seem too slow. But not sure how much snow will be left by March.
Tenney is 45 mid week and 65 weekend. Haven’t been, although it would be closest to our weekend house. But might also be strugling for snow by then. And I think those lifts are genuinely slow!
Yes Tenneys lifts are slow, once you get your head around that everything else is great . Trails are all interesting and enjoyable. Was just there yesterday, 4th time this season.Even with a full parking lot there were no lift lines, trails were never crowded at any point. only lines are at the bar ! Great experience so far.
Not liking the extended forecast, not sure how long they will survive the warm up. They've stock piled some snow in strategic areas so its hard to say.
if they are open when you can ski Id definately check them out !

BodeMiller1

There is a rope tow in Franklin,NH. Last I heard it was something like $10. It`s a kids hill. I think it's still open.