• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sub-$50 lift ticket possible?

flakeydog

I think Dartmouth is only open on one side midweek and it is the mellow side.

I give Middlebury the definite edge over Dartmouth on terrain even w/o the back side. I also believe Bailey Falls is usually closed midweek also (regardless of mechanical status). As was said before, you can access the top 1/3 or so and cross back over. Best deal at $45 midweek

S6 near Woodstock has $59 tix. Really fun place if there is snow.

Also consider night ski options, Bolton is $25 (day ahead) and Midd is $29 (wed-fri). Night skiing is becoming the only affordable option for many. Limited terrain but beats $150-200 tickets. If it is mid-march, you can actually cover some additional terrain before it gets dark if you show up aright at 4.

abc

If it is mid-march, you can actually cover some additional terrain before it gets dark if you show up aright at 4.
Depends on specific mountains I suspect. Some mountains start closing down runs right at 4 except the ones for night skiing, even though there’s plenty of daylight left. I guess they need to close the lift and don’t want to leave people stranded at the bottom with no way out.

thanks for the mention of Bolton Valley though, Looks like they have a $39 ticket on Monday which could be appealing since I’ve never skied there so far.

Night skiing is becoming the only affordable option for many. Limited terrain but beats $150-200 tickets.
thanks to all those who replied earlier, we now know $150-200 tickets are not a necessity!
There’re quite a few ~1000’ vert mountains that are under $50, all day

Now I just need to keep my fingers cross for a storm or two between now and then. :)

Last edited:

AdironRider

I think Dartmouth is only open on one side midweek and it is the mellow side.

I give Middlebury the definite edge over Dartmouth on terrain even w/o the back side. I also believe Bailey Falls is usually closed midweek also (regardless of mechanical status). As was said before, you can access the top 1/3 or so and cross back over. Best deal at $45 midweek

S6 near Woodstock has $59 tix. Really fun place if there is snow.

Also consider night ski options, Bolton is $25 (day ahead) and Midd is $29 (wed-fri). Night skiing is becoming the only affordable option for many. Limited terrain but beats $150-200 tickets. If it is mid-march, you can actually cover some additional terrain before it gets dark if you show up aright at 4.

Dartmouth operates both sides seven days a week. Rode both today. That said, depending on how the next three days go weather wise, the Holts side might not make it much longer. Wordens might make it snow wise, but they won't spin the chair seven days a week for just that run.

I think the terrain is pretty comparable between the two, but the layouts are very different.

S6 is tiny in comparison, but a fun hill none the less. A really efficient operation. They have a very bougie clientele so it isn't cheap. They even want 30 bucks for a three year old to ski.

Natural snow trails are all done at each one of them currently. I think all of these sub 50 hills (maybe except for Bolton) are going to really struggle to stay open for much longer given the weather. It is going to rain 2 inches in the next 48 hours in the Upper Valley with 50+ degree temps. Most places (even Jay) are getting rain the next few days. Its going to be rough.

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Nobody stops you from paying $65. Heck, others pay >$100 to ski a day in Hunter or Stratton!

Judging from all the potentials being mentioned, my “old” $50 is still going strong! :)
I'm saying that some of the smaller family-owned hills (in NY) are now above $50, and I'm 100% willing to pay that at say Snow Ridge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nobody stops you from paying $65. Heck, others pay >$100 to ski a day in Hunter or Stratton!

Judging from all the potentials being mentioned, my “old” $50 is still going strong! :)
I actually liked your question and it was fun thinking of creative ways to ski on $50 a day.

Reactions: abc

2Planker

All I want is my Senior Citizen MidWeek pass....
Time to flip the schedule and ski M-F w/ weekends off
No more Fri/Sun 300+ miles

abc

Burke is three for one on Wednesday, so $30 if you can find 2 to share with.
Actually it’s $15 ($45 for 3)!

(I pulled into the parking lot and saw at most 20 cars. And I was like “oh o, not very likely to find 2 others to get the 3-some deal. I started thinking $45/day isn’t all that bad after all, even if I can’t find enough people to make the “wicked Wednesday deal”. But, as I walked up the stairs, 2 very eager fellow asked “do you need a ticket?”! Well, I was the last one that made that a 3! The first guy said he had waited like 15 minutes. Lucky me, I didn’t have to wait)

That’s the best $15 ski day I’ve ever had!!! Not even back when I was learning that lift tickets were that inexpensive. ”Big“ mountain too (compare to the little sub-500’ humps I learn to ski back in the midwest).

An hour of snow squall right at noon (when we all were having lunch) put down a couple inches really freshen things up significantly. And then the sun came out right after 1, when everybody finally finished their lunch and was antsy to go out! Can’t really fault Mother Nature for the timing. :)

Lunch time:

IMG_7734.jpeg

Crowd?

IMG_7733.jpeg