• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

SkiingInABlueDream

That video, holy shit! The ppl in that one cabin could actually have gotten seriously injured there. Maybe gondolas need seatbelts lol [emoji38]

As for vertical video, I used to get really annoyed too until I realized that 99% of ppl hold their phones vertically all the time. Even when watching horizontal video or looking at horizontal pictures, Ppl still hold the phone vertically. It's either lazy or stupid but whatever the case if they don't bother to rotate their phone to watch content then they sure as heck won't do it to record. That and vertical video looks better when you hold the phone vertically which reinforces the pattern. Phones are not small TVs to most ppl.

cdskier

Holy crap! Probably lucky that was a gondola and not a regular lift where people would have been directly exposed to the force of that water.

icecoast1

That video, holy shit! The ppl in that one cabin could actually have gotten seriously injured there. Maybe gondolas need seatbelts lol [emoji38]

As for vertical video, I used to get really annoyed too until I realized that 99% of ppl hold their phones vertically all the time. Even when watching horizontal video or looking at horizontal pictures, Ppl still hold the phone vertically. It's either lazy or stupid but whatever the case if they don't bother to rotate their phone to watch content then they sure as heck won't do it to record. That and vertical video looks better when you hold the phone vertically which reinforces the pattern. Phones are not small TVs to most ppl.

The one getting hit hard in the video was the downhill unloaded side. The rest of the cabins weren't swaying any more than they do when they run the thing in the wind

SkiingInABlueDream

The one getting hit hard in the video was the downhill unloaded side.

Ok, but the point is that the event itself was random chance. The water could just as likely have hit a loaded cabin.

The rest of the cabins weren't swaying any more than they do when they run the thing in the wind

Ok, but that's also apparent in the video.

Last edited:

drjeff

LMAO...probably the least wind resistant lift on the East Coast and it can survive a water jet attacking it.

My favorite line I heard last winter from a Stratton Patroller I was on the Gondola with when talking about the wind issues that lift has was "if a mouse farts at Bromley, this thing is on wind hold!" :lol:

NYDB

Right, but no summit lifts after advertising they would be running and no way to ski back to sunbowl base lodge even though it was open with a lift. Everyone i know who attempted to go bailed by 10am.

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

From the snow report this AM...sounds like the new lift is going to open soon:

New Year’s Eve is nearly here and the opening of the new Snow Bowl Express is on the horizon. Lift inspections are set to begin on today as we put the finishing touches on terminal decks, build out the ramps and corral, and add a fresh coat of snow to get it ski and ride ready.

Glenn

New lift opens tomorrow at 10AM:

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to 2019! We are ready to launch the new Snow Bowl Express and all the stars are aligned with three inches of new snow overnight and a forecast for more. First chair heads for the summit of southern Vermont’s highest peak on Saturday, Jan. 5 at 10 am. Let’s all give a round of applause to the eight men and women on the first two chairs representing the teams that made it happen. We look forward to seeing you for the debut.
[/FONT]

ghughes20

The lift was working today and it was great to see it under operation. I rode the lift twice and so much faster than the old Snow Bowl lift. However. sadly, there was not much terrain expansion. They did open World Cup, but no Lift Line and no Super Trail. Also, you couldn't ski from Amex to the new lift. The connecting trail was closed at the final approach. I have to assume that will be open soon. There's plenty of snow there.

It's too bad the weather stunk today. (Too much r-word). The afternoon was better with soft snow and no precipitation.

Glenn

Thanks for the update. We opted to skip since it was raining. Ended up moving some firewood once the rain stopped. Hoping to get to the mountain next weekend. Saw a few pics and video of the new lift on Stratton's Social Media.

ghughes20

Thanks for the update. We opted to skip since it was raining. Ended up moving some firewood once the rain stopped. Hoping to get to the mountain next weekend. Saw a few pics and video of the new lift on Stratton's Social Media.

Sunday was great. Early morning conditions were surprisingly good, hats off to the groomers.. Also, it snowed most of the day on Sunday and no crowds. My son even ventured into the woods.

WoodCore

Took a couple rides today, very fast and extremely smooth! Already changing the traffic patterns on the mountain.........

Glenn

We rode it for the first time yesterday. Nice lift! It was good to see the setup there; wasn't sure where the bottom terminal was based on the drawings.

Agreed, I think it helps with the flow up top. That new cut through trail really helps unloading; no more hiking up.