• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Predictions for Sunday? Considering Magic vs Black (freedom pass). Looks like Black will get more snow but they hardly have anything open.

If you can wait until Saturday afternoon to make the call I would. Models showing it may start as non-frozen at Magic. Whether it does, and how quickly it changes, will make a big difference. Black has better chance of all snow. Magic with 2-4" would ski well with decent amount of natural trails in play.

bdfreetuna

Black Mountain will be slow to drop ropes while Magic will drop them as fast as humanly possible.

Black is great but wait until snow depths improve. I just got back from northern NH and there's probably the same base/snow in Southern VT right now. As in not a lot but enough for Magic to open stuff with a little help.

sledride

Thanks for the info, decided to pass on today. This storm seemed to fizzle and it didn't seem worth the drive. Had a great mini powder day at Burke on New Years Day though.

hughconway

I made my first visit of the year yesterday to use a ticket from the freedom 4 pack I bought in the fall. While the trail selection was very limited, what was open ski'd very well and I had a pretty nice afternoon.

I was a bit disappointed (but not at all surprised) to see that there has been zero visible progress on the new quad that is supposed to be ready in 2 weeks. No bullwheel up top, no bullwheel or drive housing at the bottom, no comm cable. As I unfortunately predicted months ago, there is a 0.0% chance of that lift being completed and inspected for the 2019/2020 season. Not a big deal in and of itself, but just another failed promise from management. I'd be absolutely livid if I were one of the people who were tricked into buying a pass with the promise of that lift and a snowmaking pond expansion obviously has not happened either.

NYDB

I made my first visit of the year yesterday to use a ticket from the freedom 4 pack I bought in the fall. While the trail selection was very limited, what was open ski'd very well and I had a pretty nice afternoon.

I was a bit disappointed (but not at all surprised) to see that there has been zero visible progress on the new quad that is supposed to be ready in 2 weeks. No bullwheel up top, no bullwheel or drive housing at the bottom, no comm cable. As I unfortunately predicted months ago, there is a 0.0% chance of that lift being completed and inspected for the 2019/2020 season. Not a big deal in and of itself,
but just another failed promise from management. I'd be absolutely livid if I were one of the people who were tricked into buying a pass with the promise of that lift and a snowmaking pond expansion obviously has not happened either.

I'm not thrilled about the new lift not being available at all for 19/20, but just curious; What other failed promises have there been?

icecoast1

I'd be absolutely livid if I were one of the people who were tricked into buying a pass with the promise of that lift and a snowmaking pond expansion obviously has not happened either.

Nobody held a gun to our heads and forced us to buy a pass.

danimals

I’ve been watching the magic saga from afar, and while the lift will be cool it’s also not what’s stopping me from making the 6 hr drive for my first visit. It’s the damn weather. Once winter kicks in I’ll be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulR

Anyone here part of the Magic FB group? Maybe someone there knows what's going on.

I'm still rooting for them. I know a lot of people are.

skithetrees

Realistically, the lift matters 5 days a year and, even then, the lines will compare to nearby mountains with much less crowding once on the slopes. The situation will be no worse this year than last year. In the grand scheme of things, this is barely a blip on my radar.

camberstick

Realistically, the lift matters 5 days a year and, even then, the lines will compare to nearby mountains with much less crowding once on the slopes. The situation will be no worse this year than last year. In the grand scheme of things, this is barely a blip on my radar.

This is so true. Not having the black chair has never stopped me from going there and having a great time. they just need the weather switch to flip and get those trees filled in!

slatham

Anyone here part of the Magic FB group? Maybe someone there knows what's going on.

I'm still rooting for them. I know a lot of people are.

From Friday's "Alpine Update": And, our lift contractor for the Quad has been back in touch and finalizing plans for a crane big enough to install the bottom bullwheel and terminal housing. Obviously we have been anxious to move forward and it appears now that the holiday is over, the contractors are ready to finally get back in the game.

slatham

I'd be absolutely livid if I were one of the people who were tricked into buying a pass with the promise of that lift and a snowmaking pond expansion obviously has not happened either.

Being "tricked" into buying a pass would be true if management decided against installing the Quad after selling passes. The facts are that complications and contractor delays - not uncommon in such an installation - are the reasons the Quad is not in yet. No bad faith by management.

The pond was always subject to Act 250 approvals which came at the end of June which was too late for this past summer. And its also been irrelevant because they did receive permission and built an intake facility off the Thompsonburg Creek to replenish the pond. They have not had any issues with lack of water. The weather on the other hand.......

MEtoVTSkier

It will get done as soon as it reasonably can be. It been a weather battle, just like it has for EVERY other resort/ski area. At least it is going in, and we aren't waiting another 10 years until they could buy a new one, "installed". It was a great deal, and generous of Stratton to sell it to them. Just have to go thru the "do it yourself" process which everyone knew up front wasn't going to be as speedy as having LP or Dopp come in and do an install. It is what it is, and I'm sure it STILL will be done in less time than Green was! :lol:

skimagic

Definitely not out of the ordinary with the delayed install. The Montana Snow bowl, a place similar to Magic in a few ways, is in the third year of a used riblet double install. Should be any week now.

crazy

I wouldn't blame Magic for the slow lift install. If you've been keeping up on it, there have been lots of challenges, many outside of management's control including issues with various contractors. I've been following the saga from the sidelines, and don't feel like Magic tried to mislead anybody about when the lift would be installed. I felt like they were quite frank about sharing a timeline but not making any promises, with the acknowledgement that delays could happen.

I'm happy that the lift is getting installed, but part of me doesn't mind the limited uphill capacity that comes with the existing double lift. Except on the most crowded days when it can get frustrating waiting in line, it's nice that trail conditions are preserved throughout the day.

Like many others here, I'm just waiting for conditions to get better before checking out Magic a couple of times this season. Magic is a fantastic little operation, I'm grateful that places like this still exist. A lot of labor and love hasgone into this place. I'm sure I'll see some of you there next time it dumps.

WoodCore

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Black Quad will spin this year! As long as the drive gets picked this week and the comm line is on site ready for install, it's completely possible it could spin by Presidents week. Magic does seem to get hit by bad luck when it comes to lift installs so I admire their commitment to get the job done despite all the set backs beyond their control. Always finding a way....

AbominableSnowman

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Black Quad will spin this year! As long as the drive gets picked this week and the comm line is on site ready for install, it's completely possible it could spin by Presidents week. Magic does seem to get hit by bad luck when it comes to lift installs so I admire their commitment to get the job done despite all the set backs beyond their control. Always finding a way....

I'll add that I respect their upfront and consistent communication regarding both the lift and the snowmaking [as well as the progress of other projects]. It is "uplifting" to know that there is a management team out there in the world that has [finally] figured out the value of effective communication with their customers. Well done!

slatham

From Magics most recent weekly Apline Update:

In talking with our lift contractor for the Quad, one winch snocat arrived yesterday and has since been been tracked up by our crew so it's ready for use by the Pfister Mountain Services. It will be needed for installing the haul rope, communications line and upper bullwheel. The 400-ton crane is still being lined up by Pfister for the tricky bottom terminal housing/bullwheel install. There is still much to do but our focus is still on completing the lift during this ski season. We appreciate everyone's patience with the issues we have encountered during this major project.

MG Skier

So my first time at Magic was a few years back before the Green Chair was green and on the radar and When Black Chair ran occasionally. With only the Red chair on a busy ski day and or Race Day it was tough as far as long, long, slow lines. (red is slow if you didn't know, but I am OK with that!)

Once the Green Chair came on line, it was the lift primarily used by the racers (when the race was on the East Side = Green and Red lift side of Magic.) There was a rather easy wait despite the race and that was a huge step in the right direction.

So, yes Black chair will help a lot but the Red and Green combination works!

If you ever hike the mountain and see the rock, especially on West Side where the Black Lift is, imagine excavating for a footing.

Make it Happen Magic!