• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for advice on joining a ski club/lodge.

asnowmobiler

I’m thinking about joining a ski club with a lodge in southern Vermont For next season.
I did a quick Google search and only found a few and even fewer with web sites.
Anyone on here ever joined one and how was it? I definitely do not want to share a room with a stranger, so I believe that will make it harder to find one.
What are some of the Pro and Cons that you’ve delt with by belonging to one and do you know of any that you would recommend?
North Conway would be ideal but not a deal breaker if I need to drive 20-30 minutes to get there.
The other option would be getting a group together and doing a seasonal rental but they are crazy $$$ I would be driving up from Pennsylvania almost every other Thursday night and leaving Sunday morning so not sure if it’s worth that much investment.

heiusa

I belong to a ski club, I have been a member since 1994. Our club is Long Island based and our house is at the base of Pico. My father belonged to a ski club based in New Jersey and their house is in Chittenden, VT. There are many pros in my case and few cons.. My pros are: lower cost of skiing due to low cost of housing and discount tickets from the ski council, knowing I have a place to use without having to find one each trip, I have made many friends, if my son is not available I cam always ski with a club member, a sense of belonging, in my case I like the location in central VT, I also save money on food, we use the house year round. It’s almost like having a time share. Our house is set up like a hostel, there are rooms with two beds, and rooms with 4 / 6 / 8 beds set up as dorms. Most times I can get a room alone, if its not a holiday weekend, I usually share my room with my son.

The cons are I have to do chores when I use the house, I need to make my bed and clean my room, when I go alone that’s ok, but when I used to go with my three kids and had to make 4x beds on Sunday, not fun.

I think that you should try and join a club that is based near your home, our club has meetings that you may need to attend.

There are websites that list the clubs by state;

https://easternpaskicouncil.org/wp/clubs/
http://www.njssc.org/member-clubs/
https://www.metnyski.org/vermont.html
https://www.metnyski.org/brooklyn.html

There are different types of clubs, some clubs only do trips and do not have a house, some clubs only have a house, and some do both.

Let me know if you have more questions.

BenedictGomez

Because there are no maids and you don’t want to sleep in someone else’s sheets. So you have to make the bed at least once, on the first night.

I get, "changing fresh linens when you leave", but as I read that post it seemed to intimate you need to make the bed every day.

KustyTheKlown

communal/dorm style living with strangers and rules in a static location. no thanks. i prefer my roach motels with top notch flexibility and privacy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
communal/dorm style living with strangers and rules in a static location. no thanks. i prefer my roach motels with top notch flexibility and privacy.
I'd actually be all about joining a ski club in the Mount Washington Valley if I was still single. There's about 20 of them up there with 15 or so being huge party houses. They have full bars with draft systems and multiple parties every weekend with live bands or DJs. There's a $5 a head drunk bus that takes people around from house to house. Some hire chefs and offer breakfast both weekend days and Saturday night dinner. My friends that belong state that except for holidays and big race weekends they are often able to have a private room. Midweek they always have a private room. Many use the houses in the summer too for hiking, tubing the Saco etc.

I wish I knew about this scene in my 20s when affording lodging in the mountains was much more challenging. $465 in dues for the year, plus two work weekends and really minimal chores.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

I'd actually be all about joining a ski club in the Mount Washington Valley if I was still single. There's about 20 of them up there with 15 or so being huge party houses. They have full bars with draft systems and multiple parties every weekend with live bands or DJs. There's a $5 a head drunk bus that takes people around from house to house. Some hire chefs and offer breakfast both weekend days and Saturday night dinner. My friends that belong state that except for holidays and big race weekends they are often able to have a private room. Midweek they always have a private room. Many use the houses in the summer too for hiking, tubing the Saco etc.

I wish I knew about this scene in my 20s when affording lodging in the mountains was much more challenging. $465 in dues for the year, plus two work weekends and really minimal chores.

That's gotta be just a huge swordfight right?

NYDB

It's actually not as bad as you would think. If you are in your 20s or early 30s and looking for a chick that rips at skiing and likes to party, the MWV ski club scene would be a good place to look.

I would be surprised for sure. I imagine there would be like 20 dudebro's for every ripping chica. If the ratio was even 5 to 1 I'd be surprised.

Killingtime

I would be surprised for sure. I imagine there would be like 20 dudebro's for every ripping chica. If the ratio was even 5 to 1 I'd be surprised.

You are probably right on this. Went to a few ski club meetings awhile back just to see what they were about. Being a ski club member gave you access to lots of discounted days through the NY Metropolitan Council program. The members were mostly older guys with their wives. Average age probably 55+. Definitely not the party scene I imagined, but everyone was cool.