• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

dblskifanatic

Favorite Classic "New England" Runs

Back on topic

I was thinking about runs in New England and many of the ski areas with 2000+ very break top to bottom runs up into multiple labeled trails to create a complete run.

Cannon

Vista Way -> Bypass -> Extension -> Avalanche it has a nice mixed bag of stuff (views, bumps, sections to let it rip, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

gnardawg

2000+ feet of vertical reminded me of:

The Wilmington Trail
Excelsior
Cloudspin
Hoyt’s High

Need to make it back up there...

EPB

Best part about Stowe is the continuous vertical.
It's a game changer. I really prefer taking longer laps and appreciate Stowe for it in a big way. Wildcat and Le Massif are the only other places where I'm likely to take a majority of my runs with 2000+ feet of vert. Midweek at Smuggs is possible, too (only hit it once on a weekend and spent more time on Sterling to avoid the Madonna I line).

That said, the snowfall, snow quality and consistent pitch also make Stowe great, too.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

Most have been listed. Here are my favorites:
Upper & Lower FIS - Mt Ellen SB - Including off chutes
Paradise - Fall Line - Creamery area at MRG
Domino and Moonshine at Lincoln Peak SB
Cat Walk at Killington
I used to love Double Dipper woods before they ruined that area when installing the lift.
Original Front 4. Chin Clip. Lord - Stowe
Any of the front runs coming off the snow fields and down below at Sugarloaf
Uppercut - Cross Bow - Lock Line - Tightwire at Sunday River
Timbuktoo - Kitzbul - Vertigo - Everglade - Green Barret at Jay
Robins at Smuggs

thetrailboss

Staff member
Most have been listed. Here are my favorites:
Upper & Lower FIS - Mt Ellen SB - Including off chutes
Paradise - Fall Line - Creamery area at MRG
Domino and Moonshine at Lincoln Peak SB
Cat Walk at Killington
I used to love Double Dipper woods before they ruined that area when installing the lift.
Original Front 4. Chin Clip. Lord - Stowe
Any of the front runs coming off the snow fields and down below at Sugarloaf
Uppercut - Cross Bow - Lock Line - Tightwire at Sunday River
Timbuktoo - Kitzbul - Vertigo - Everglade - Green Barret at Jay
Robins at Smuggs

Upper and Lower FIS at Sugarbush is my favorite run there.

Good list.

kingslug

Also the run under the double chair..i havent done it yet but it looks hairy. When i cut in through the S53 to get to lower Starr..looking up at it..well..not a lot if anyone on it.

JDMRoma

Back on topic

I was thinking about runs in New England and many of the ski areas with 2000+ very break top to bottom runs up into multiple labeled trails to create a complete run.

Cannon

Vista Way -> Bypass -> Extension -> Avalanche it has a nice mixed bag of stuff (views, bumps, sections to let it rip, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Probably My favorite run at Cannon, mix in few different endings and Id be good lapping it all day !!

Bumpsis

A run that absolutely makes me super happy is when a whole mountain has great spring snow and you can just go like bat out hell from the very top and take in the whole vertical. The actual trails don't really matter, I'm after the exhilaration of a long, full mountain run.

For instance, Sugarloaf from the top of Timberline, drop into White Nitro Extension - Boomgauer - Springboard down to the bottom of the Whiffletree lift. Or the same idea onto the west side of the mountain: Cinderhoe onto Tote Road or whatever other combination of trails down to bottom of the superquad. Just dance from one carved turn into another feeling the joy of riding the rail.
The same at Cannon - chase the tram and bag the full vert.

BenedictGomez

Spruce: Sterling into Whirlaway is fun when its in sporty condition. A good hideaway from the masses.

Whirlaway is one of my favorite trails at Stowe & perhaps the most underrated. When I worked there I was stationed at Spruce 95% of the time & sometimes I'd get out early at 2pm or 3pm, grab my skis from my truck, and lap it. The little rock band in the middle of the trail's fun for faux hero jumps.

Tonyr

Whirlaway is one of my favorite trails at Stowe & perhaps the most underrated. When I worked there I was stationed at Spruce 95% of the time & sometimes I'd get out early at 2pm or 3pm, grab my skis from my truck, and lap it. The little rock band in the middle of the trail's fun for faux hero jumps.

Spruce Line, Whirlway, and Sterling are all great runs off of Spruce Peak. My favorite top to bottom line at Stowe is Bypass - Nosedive Glades - National.