• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

I hate to be the one to let you know. 17’ at the summit, 12” at mid-mountain and 0” at the base. I wish we could all be enjoying this. We all really appreciate, though, how everyone has respected the Governor’s Stay at Home Order. It is frustrating when we see so much snow still on the trails but it is making a difference. Hopefully, we will be back to normalcy before too much longer. Stay well !

cdskier

That's a pretty impressive snowfall gradient from 0"-12" bottom to top on Super Bravo basically.

It would have been an interesting end of the season if things had been open, although I still think that the lack of grooming and skier traffic has had some degree of impact as well on how much snow still seems to be left on trails.

nhskier1969

I hate to be the one to let you know. 17’ at the summit, 12” at mid-mountain and 0” at the base. I wish we could all be enjoying this. We all really appreciate, though, how everyone has respected the Governor’s Stay at Home Order. It is frustrating when we see so much snow still on the trails but it is making a difference. Hopefully, we will be back to normalcy before too much longer. Stay well !

I still haven''t heard Win putting a close to the season yet. Maybe he did a few pages ago. Could we get one last weekend.
If Mass and NH ease their restrictions begining of next week. It wouldn't surprised if the Governor of Vermont eases the restrictions next week too. If you take a look at the back of the Sugarbush snowstakes, there is still a lot of snow still mid mtn up.

Could we possible have one more weekend with some social distancing and wear a mask or neck warming in lines and on the lift. Have two people per quad not sitting next to each other, one person on a triple.

tumbler

Skiing is not happening. Mass and NH are not going to ease restrictions yet and if they do, Vermont will clamp down on out of state visits. So will NH. I would think the Govs of neighboring states are all working together. Virus still going strong in Mass unfortunately, I see another 4 weeks of stay at home at least. Which sucks but won't suck as bad if we go back to normal life and virus comes roaring back.

nhskier1969

Skiing is not happening. Mass and NH are not going to ease restrictions yet and if they do, Vermont will clamp down on out of state visits. So will NH. I would think the Govs of neighboring states are all working together. Virus still going strong in Mass unfortunately, I see another 4 weeks of stay at home at least. Which sucks but won't suck as bad if we go back to normal life and virus comes roaring back.

Did you see the news over weekend, they were talking about the crowds at Mt. Major. The parking lot were packed and their were cars parked on one side of the road for a good 1/4 mile.

Hawk

I still haven''t heard Win putting a close to the season yet. Maybe he did a few pages ago. Could we get one last weekend.
If Mass and NH ease their restrictions begining of next week. It wouldn't surprised if the Governor of Vermont eases the restrictions next week too. If you take a look at the back of the Sugarbush snowstakes, there is still a lot of snow still mid mtn up.

Could we possible have one more weekend with some social distancing and wear a mask or neck warming in lines and on the lift. Have two people per quad not sitting next to each other, one person on a triple.

I don't know, it sounds pretty final here on Instagram.....
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_bFUclgYcp/

SkiTheEast

Wow, pretty surprising coming from Vail but Epic stepped up a bit, wondering if Ikon will respond:

"We are providing season pass holders a minimum credit of 20% of the price of their 2019/20 pass, which can be applied to a 2020/21 season pass of equal or greater value. If you waited until Spring to use your pass and used your pass less than five days, or didn’t use your pass at all, you’ll receive more credits - up to 80% of what you paid for your pass. And as you may need extra time to make winter plans, your credit will be available through Monday, September 7th, 2020." and also including free pass insurance for everyone

https://www.epicpass.com/info/2019-2020-pass-holder-credit.aspx

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow, pretty surprising coming from Vail but Epic stepped up a bit, wondering if Ikon will respond:

"We are providing season pass holders a minimum credit of 20% of the price of their 2019/20 pass, which can be applied to a 2020/21 season pass of equal or greater value. If you waited until Spring to use your pass and used your pass less than five days, or didn’t use your pass at all, you’ll receive more credits - up to 80% of what you paid for your pass. And as you may need extra time to make winter plans, your credit will be available through Monday, September 7th, 2020." and also including free pass insurance for everyone

https://www.epicpass.com/info/2019-2020-pass-holder-credit.aspx

Knowing how they have acted so far, methinks no.

cdskier

Knowing how they have acted so far, methinks no.

Ikon offered an extra discount for renewing under the circumstances and offered an assurance of protection for next year's season pass before Epic did either. So I don't quite understand the attitude that "Ikon needs to respond" along with comments that seem to indicate Ikon has acted poorly somehow so far.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ikon offered an extra discount for renewing under the circumstances and offered an assurance of protection for next year's season pass before Epic did either. So I don't quite understand the attitude that "Ikon needs to respond" along with comments that seem to indicate Ikon has acted poorly somehow so far.

I'm answering his question as to if IKON will do more in response. Great that they did something before. As to me, color me skeptical if not cynical about IKON. They've really ruined the skiing experience here in my neck of the woods. So yes, that will taint everything IKON for me. It is what it is.

SkiTheEast

I never said they "need to respond" even though you're quoting me as such. You're right they were the first mover on announcing their plan, kudos for that. That being said some of the comments on social media (and I know social media commenters are never satisfied) lead me to believe that there are probably many people who aren't happy with how Ikon has responded so far. Now that their main competitor has completely one-upped them I'm simply hypothetically wondering whether they're under pressure to take another look at their own plan.

cdskier

I'm answering his question as to if IKON will do more in response. Great that they did something before. As to me, color me skeptical if not cynical about IKON. They've really ruined the skiing experience here in my neck of the woods. So yes, that will taint everything IKON for me. It is what it is.

Believe me...your dislike (to put it mildly) of Ikon is very evident.

I just don't understand why people think Ikon needs to "do more". The constant "one-upmanship" people seem to be expecting between Ikon and Epic is already tiring. Ikon gave a response. Epic gave a response. If people don't like one or the other, they're free to do what they want. I think both made very decent offers given the situation. It is a very fine line they need to walk and balance. If you give too much back, it ultimately just weakens the financial position of the resorts and makes it harder for them to invest money in the capital improvements everyone wants. If you don't do enough, it could cut into your sales and also weaken your bottom line.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just don't understand why people think Ikon needs to "do more". The constant "one-upmanship" people seem to be expecting between Ikon and Epic is already tiring. Ikon gave a response. Epic gave a response. If people don't like one or the other, they're free to do what they want. I think both made very decent offers given the situation. It is a very fine line they need to walk and balance. If you give too much back, it ultimately just weakens the financial position of the resorts and makes it harder for them to invest money in the capital improvements everyone wants. If you don't do enough, it could cut into your sales and also weaken your bottom line.

The OP asked a question. That's his right.

As to why he asked it, that is because IKON is subject to at least one class action suit...despite their response. That's why it is coming up.

SkiTheEast

Believe me...your dislike (to put it mildly) of Ikon is very evident.

Yeah, I agree that the race to the bottom serves no one in the end. But what are the actual differences/costs? I guess if you were to break it down for most of us the differences between the 2 offers for someone who skiied more than 5 days (probably most people here) its really 20% discount and pass insurance for the season (Epic) vs 7%-10% discount and ability to roll over to next season if uncertain by December (Ikon).

Epic is able make a big splash though by throwing larger discounts for people who went <5 times (80% credit if you never used it). I suspect its a small number of passholders you're pacifying with a goodwill credit (and I'm sure they ran the numbers on the the cost to offering this). Not that I necessarily agree to buying a pass for one specific late season trip but there are definitely people who probably feel burned and probably appreciate getting thrown a bone after feeling like they flushed big $$ down the drain...

Anyway...let's just hope this ends sooner rather than later and everyone can slowly start making their way out of their bunkers. I'd love some fresh air. How's the golf course looking?

dblskifanatic

The &quot;Sugarbush Thread&quot;

This topic is in about a half dozen threads- would be nice to consolidate!

But to continue someone was trying to show the advantage or disadvantage and as far as I know Ikon has no Veteran product while Epic does and take 20% from that well it sounds pretty sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

cdskier

Yeah, I agree that the race to the bottom serves no one in the end. But what are the actual differences/costs? I guess if you were to break it down for most of us the differences between the 2 offers for someone who skiied more than 5 days (probably most people here) its really 20% discount and pass insurance for the season (Epic) vs 7%-10% discount and ability to roll over to next season if uncertain by December (Ikon).

Epic is able make a big splash though by throwing larger discounts for people who went <5 times (80% credit if you never used it). I suspect its a small number of passholders you're pacifying with a goodwill credit (and I'm sure they ran the numbers on the the cost to offering this). Not that I necessarily agree to buying a pass for one specific late season trip but there are definitely people who probably feel burned and probably appreciate getting thrown a bone after feeling like they flushed big $$ down the drain...

Anyway...let's just hope this ends sooner rather than later and everyone can slowly start making their way out of their bunkers. I'd love some fresh air. How's the golf course looking?

Actually the numbers are even closer than you mentioned. Ikon is giving $200 off the full pass which is basically 20% so right in line with Epic's 20% off a full Epic. Ikon base gives you $100 off for a renewal (slightly over 14%), while Epic local holders would get $140 credit. However Epic Local costs $30 more than Ikon base, so the net difference is $10 for Ikon base vs Epic local renewals.

Ikon gives everyone the option to rollover their pass to the following year for ANY reason if you decide by Dec 10th (and haven't used it yet). This coverage is free. If you want coverage for injuries, job loss, etc, then at the moment that costs extra ($~40 for the full Ikon).

Epic gives an actual insurance policy for free with all their passes that explicitly includes the pandemic scenario. Since this is insurance, you can get an actual refund instead of just a pass rollover. It would cover any problems during the entire "core season" next year (Thanksgiving to Easter). However you do need to be careful about what options you choose. There's some options available that can impact how much you get back based on which resorts close and when. However one downside here vs Ikon is that if the resorts are open and you're not comfortable skiing, too bad. With Ikon you can defer your pass simply for not being comfortable with the situation.

Epic is giving the higher percentages to people that skied less than 7 days...but like you said, I'm sure they ran the numbers and realized this is a tiny fraction of their overall sales that fall in this category anyway. Epic did have the 1-7 "Epic Day" passes which you can easily argue were bought with the intention of using them at a specific period such as late March/early April while Ikon had no comparable pass option. Sure you could have bought a full Ikon or an Ikon base and only planned to use it for a one week trip in the spring, but I have no idea how many people would have really done that. I can't imagine it is that many.

And no idea on the golf course...I don't golf :cool:

dblskifanatic

Actually the numbers are even closer than you mentioned. Ikon is giving $200 off the full pass which is basically 20% so right in line with Epic's 20% off a full Epic. Ikon base gives you $100 off for a renewal (slightly over 14%), while Epic local holders would get $140 credit. However Epic Local costs $30 more than Ikon base, so the net difference is $10 for Ikon base vs Epic local renewals.

Ikon gives everyone the option to rollover their pass to the following year for ANY reason if you decide by Dec 10th (and haven't used it yet). This coverage is free. If you want coverage for injuries, job loss, etc, then at the moment that costs extra ($~40 for the full Ikon).

Epic gives an actual insurance policy for free with all their passes that explicitly includes the pandemic scenario. Since this is insurance, you can get an actual refund instead of just a pass rollover. It would cover any problems during the entire "core season" next year (Thanksgiving to Easter). However you do need to be careful about what options you choose. There's some options available that can impact how much you get back based on which resorts close and when. However one downside here vs Ikon is that if the resorts are open and you're not comfortable skiing, too bad. With Ikon you can defer your pass simply for not being comfortable with the situation.

Epic is giving the higher percentages to people that skied less than 7 days...but like you said, I'm sure they ran the numbers and realized this is a tiny fraction of their overall sales that fall in this category anyway. Epic did have the 1-7 "Epic Day" passes which you can easily argue were bought with the intention of using them at a specific period such as late March/early April while Ikon had no comparable pass option. Sure you could have bought a full Ikon or an Ikon base and only planned to use it for a one week trip in the spring, but I have no idea how many people would have really done that. I can't imagine it is that many.

And no idea on the golf course...I don't golf :cool:

$447.20 for the Epic Veteran that is pretty good!

mbedle

This topic is in about a half dozen threads- would be nice to consolidate!

But to continue someone was trying to show the advantage or disadvantage and as far as I know Ikon has no Veteran product while Epic does and take 20% from that well it sounds pretty sweet!

They do have a military discount for active, reserve, retiree and spouses/dependents.