• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2024 improvements

zyk

Belleayre is adding a learning area at the top of the mountain. I'll be there next weekend to take my granddaughter on her first gondola ride and picnic up top. Will report back. Hopefully no clear cutting involved.

x10003q

Belleayre is adding a learning area at the top of the mountain. I'll be there next weekend to take my granddaughter on her first gondola ride and picnic up top. Will report back. Hopefully no clear cutting involved.
While Belleayre is also adding a restroom next to the new top gondola repair/ski patrol building, there is nothing in the UMP about adding a warming hut near this beginner conveyor lift at the top. The 'trail' is 112ft wide and 285ft in length with an 8% slope and right next to the topof the gondola. I wonder what they think is going to happen when the beginners/kids using this area need a warmup/food break/weather break? Back down the gondola? The only lodge at the top of Belleayre is the Sunset Lodge and that is about a flat 1/2 mile from the top of the gondola. Are they expecting beginners to pole 1/2 mile to the Sunset Lodge for an indoor break and, since there is no green trail down from the top, pole 1/2 mile back to take the gondola down ?

ORDA probably could have found a flat beginner area near the Overlook Lodge to serve the same purpose of having early season snowmaking for beginners.

kbroderick

Meh.. a row or 2 of b-net will do the job, and not cause the snowmakers and groomers as many issues... signed a "professional" b-net setter and roller...
If fan guns are the plan, it should be probably be a double net.

The pipes can be buried under the snow (if they're willing to make enough), as Sunday River does with the race arena spur on the bottom third of Monday Mourning. Fixed fan guns limit the helpfulness of that, though, as you'd still need to protect them (and with normal fan spacing, you'd need a continuous string of nets because they'd be too close to effectively spot net).

cdskier

ORDA probably could have found a flat beginner area near the Overlook Lodge to serve the same purpose of having early season snowmaking for beginners.

They also wanted beginners to be able to have the experience of taking the gondola to the top so they could say they went to the top of the mountain. Putting something near Overlook lodge doesn't check that box.

(FWIW, personally I thought that was an odd reason to use as one of the justifications for putting a beginner area at the very top).

slatham

Bromley:

New Kliks on Upper Twister, including 2 new/added tower pedestals where there had been a gap between hydrants, so added capacity to a critical area. Not yet sure exactly how many new Kliks in total will be installed.

4 new pedestals for permanent towers on top section of upper corkscrew (prior tower guns were actually sled towers). I believe these will all be Kliks. There may be some further down the trail as well.

New pedestals on lower most lower boulevard with 2 new/additional hydrants for added capacity. Plus 2 new/added towers where hydrants already exist.

Replaced water pipe on upper twister, which is not only for Twister but is the primary up line for anything off the summit.

Replaced one of their pumps with a brand new, high end pump.

New rope for East Meadow double, looks like the rope will be swapped out this week.

Avalanche Glade cleared of last years tree downfall, dead trees, and underbrush.

Last edited: