• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All North American Worldcup races CANCELLED for this season

machski

Sad but as you said Dr. Jeff, unsurprising. Wonder if K will still bring in the extra air compressors and push to have a bunch of terrain across multiple pods early now for Social Distancing or if they will forgo those.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

kbroderick

At this point, nothing surprises me. Cant really say I understand it though, unless the events are back-breakers from a financial perspective with no audience.

That's one issue, I suspect. Another would be the hassle of getting re-entry to the EU for everyone associated with the tour following the U.S. stops.

Another is risk management for the whole tour; look at the impact on Eduardo Rodriguez, and consider that even a 5-10% drop from the fitness levels achieved through training can have a significant impact on the season of a top athlete, let alone the challenges created if one or two top countries had spread events within the team. The best chance of having a fair series of competitions right now is to keep the whole tour in Europe for the duration of the season.

BenedictGomez

The best chance of having a fair series of competitions right now is to keep the whole tour in Europe for the duration of the season

That all makes perfect sense if they went with a "bubble" concept like the NHL & NBA, and made, say..... 3 or 4 EU mountain bubbles in which all events would take place. But it doesnt read like that's what they're doing, right?

So if they travel week-by-week all over Europe, I dont see how that's materially different from traveling to America one time. Unless the EU is making reentry impossible. I know we're not, the Trump Administration made a carve-out for tested professional athletes, but I dont know if the EU did the same or not.

drjeff

At this point, nothing surprises me. Cant really say I understand it though, unless the events are back-breakers from a financial perspective with no audience.

I am guessing it has much more to do with possible travel restrictions than anything else. The women would of been going from Finland the week before to KIllington to Lake Louise in Alberta, the next week and then back to Switzerland the week after that. Travel restrictions would certainly make that a challenge for athletes and coaches. And if someone did test positive for COVID-19 at one of the events, then the logistics of staying behind at that site in quarantine for 2 weeks away from the rest of your team would need to be dealt with.

I am guessing on multiple levels, even without spectators, that Killington would of loved to get the media exposure to show that they're open for skiing, and I'm guessing that Mike S would of been interviewed and able to get the message out to a wider audience of what Killington is doing operations wise for guest COVID-19 safety.

slatham

Sad but expected given the multi-country travel over only a few weeks. It will be interesting to see how the tour in Europe gets altered.

Newpylong

Sad but as you said Dr. Jeff, unsurprising. Wonder if K will still bring in the extra air compressors and push to have a bunch of terrain across multiple pods early now for Social Distancing or if they will forgo those.

The pre-WC # of units will be rented. Extremely expensive to run two full pads of HP1600s without a chance for a ROI. Remember they still have over 38,000 CFM of electric air owned.

machski

The pre-WC # of units will be rented. Extremely expensive to run two full pads of HP1600s without a chance for a ROI. Remember they still have over 38,000 CFM of electric air owned.
I know they have a lot on owned air, and that it would be expensive to run all they normally do for WC without it. But where spacing will be the name of the game this winter, brining all the extra air in without WC could allow them to open with a bunch of pods all at once, allowing a better carrying capacity to open the season with. Too many unknowns though they can't control to take that risk in the end I suppose.

skiur

Can't expect K or any resort be that aggressive with snowmaking this year. The unknown will make it very difficult to watch money melt away in October and November not knowing if they will be able to recoup it.

Newpylong

I know they have a lot on owned air, and that it would be expensive to run all they normally do for WC without it. But where spacing will be the name of the game this winter, brining all the extra air in without WC could allow them to open with a bunch of pods all at once, allowing a better carrying capacity to open the season with. Too many unknowns though they can't control to take that risk in the end I suppose.

There is no way to pay for them - remember the WC pays for snowmaking and the ancillary revenue from the spectators won't be there either.

Other pods/bases can be opened earlier in the rollout by making the push to those areas instead of expanding within a pod. If I were in their shoes this is exactly what I would do. Get a pair of runs down off of K1, SS and Snowdon and quickly move to RH and Snowshed, with the push to Skyeship and Bear not long after. Skyeship and Bear have desperately needed square footage that comes online too late. The ability to open 5 base lodges gives K an advantage no other New England area has.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Can't expect K or any resort be that aggressive with snowmaking this year. The unknown will make it very difficult to watch money melt away in October and November not knowing if they will be able to recoup it.

This is true. If ski resorts started making snow today, it'd be as non-aggressive as you can get.

There are a couple factors in our favor though...

Diesel costs are right around $2.40, 60 cents less than last year. These aren't the prices seen before the mid-2000s, but it's better than it's been in recent years. I'm not sure about air compressors rentals but I'm ASSuming those may be cheaper too given the non-existent construction industry currently.

Also IF we can get a vaccine out and distributed for Q1 2021 and we can end this bullshit I feel like people are going to be coming out to do leisure activities at a level not seen since post-WW2. Maybe that means spring skiing if there's a vaccine early enough. In that case resorts would be crazy not to blow snow like hell preparing for a big spring.

FBGM

Ski season gonna be doom and gloom

NJ scum gonna bring the WhooFlu all over the VT

No single lines, spaced normal lines, half empty chairs. Lines gonna be long AF

We all need to take a shot of Penicillin in the rear and send it. Worked in the 70s when all were pokin with no jimmy hats.

mister moose

Diesel costs are right around $2.40, 60 cents less than last year. These aren't the prices seen before the mid-2000s, but it's better than it's been in recent years.
Better than in a very long time. $2.40 is retail, just paid that in Southwick, MA.

Wholesale is $1.20, add in some trucking and mark up and you're way under $2.40 for fuel by the trailer-load. Also you're not going to pay the road taxes for off road fuel.

Diesel.jpg

I don't know how much faster Killington can roll out terrain. They are usually flat out weather permitting to get the most open by pre-Christmas. The only difference is they might go for lift count over trail count, given lift capacity restrictions.

Newpylong

Better than in a very long time. $2.40 is retail, just paid that in Southwick, MA.

Wholesale is $1.20, add in some trucking and mark up and you're way under $2.40 for fuel by the trailer-load. Also you're not going to pay the road taxes for off road fuel.

View attachment 27026

I don't know how much faster Killington can roll out terrain. They are usually flat out weather permitting to get the most open by pre-Christmas. The only difference is they might go for lift count over trail count, given lift capacity restrictions.

Off-Road is not used much on compressor rentals anymore as many units are Tier 4 and require ULSD. Killington's Doosan IQ 1600s are Tier 4. Even the groomers use it now because there are Tier 4 units that require SCR (DEF).

They don't need to open terrain faster, they need to open it differently as I outlined earlier.

mister moose

Off-Road is not used much on compressor rentals anymore as many units are Tier 4 and require ULSD. Killington's Doosan IQ 1600s are Tier 4. Even the groomers use it now because there are Tier 4 units that require SCR (DEF).

They don't need to open terrain faster, they need to open it differently as I outlined earlier.

Sorry, off road meaning exempt from state and federal road taxes, not as in chemical make up.

Is there an off road fuel that is different these days? Refineries tend to consolidate, not go wild on boutique products. Is the new low sulfur auto diesel any different that what Killington fuels their compressors and groomers with? The diesel exhaust fluid is an additive, not part of the fuel blend.

Dickc

Sorry, off road meaning exempt from state and federal road taxes, not as in chemical make up.

Is there an off road fuel that is different these days? Refineries tend to consolidate, not go wild on boutique products. Is the new low sulfur auto diesel any different that what Killington fuels their compressors and groomers with? The diesel exhaust fluid is an additive, not part of the fuel blend.

Even my #2 home heating oil is low sulfur now a days. Have absolutely no idea if it has to be or if its just what is.

Keelhauled

I thought all diesel was ULSD now, the only difference is the dye in off road. We run dyed off road in Tier 4 SCR heavy equipment where I work.