• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

cdskier

Then some investor will rebuild bobcat, just a matter of time

Not really. There's plenty of lost ski areas that have never been rebuilt. What makes bobcat so special? It certainly isn't location... And $10-15M might actually be conservative. You basically need to start from scratch with both snowmaking and lifts. Those ponds also look pretty damn small (unless they are really deep) on Google maps. What feeds those ponds and how reliable is that water flow?

Cobbold

As a community of 3 & 4 bedroom homes.

Still think long term, assuming vail survives in its present form, that vail will want to improve the skiing experience at Hunter, which means moving some of the Hunter crowd over to another Catskill ski area, unless of course hunter has room for an expansion.

Is Nevele considered Catskills? If so then there are plenty more lost ones around there. Just above the Nevele, was Carinthia, Big Vanilla, Miniwaska, Mohonk and a few more, but I think these are considered Hudson Valley or Southern NY.

x10003q

Is Nevele considered Catskills? If so then there are plenty more lost ones around there. Just above the Nevele, was Carinthia, Big Vanilla, Miniwaska, Mohonk and a few more, but I think these are considered Hudson Valley or Southern NY.

Carinthia is now part of Mt Snow in VT. I think Mohonk and Miniwaska are cross county and are still open.

Here are a few more lost areas:
Andes Ski Center - on the other side of Mt Pisgah from Bobcat
Roxbury Ski Center/No Name Ski area - on the southside of Bearpen Mtn near Plattekill
Princeton Ski Center - on the north side of Bearpen Mtn
Simpson Ski Slope/Phoenicia Ski Center near Phoenicia
Depitt's Mt Lodge Ski Center in Fleischmanns -
Highmount Ski Center
Tom's Tow in Highmount - just across from the Belleayre access road

Killingtime

Still think long term, assuming vail survives in its present form, that vail will want to improve the skiing experience at Hunter, which means moving some of the Hunter crowd over to another Catskill ski area, unless of course hunter has room for an expansion.

If they want to improve Hunter they could start by showing the Westside some love. IMO those are the best trails on the mountain. I don't go often but when I do Westway, Clairs and Annapurna are either not open for lack of snow or a scraped off ice mess. improve the snowmaking on them and fix them up.

ScottySkis

".( end thread.hyjacking in Bell trip report"

As long as you don't talk about Belll.......:wink:

More news from the best Catskills ski hills in my opinion from facecrap today
More trail widening work and clearing happening on the mountain. Guess which trail this is?#neverstopimproving #fiercelyindependent #catskills #myplatty

��������
"

ScottySkis

The Platty trail crew is CRAZY busy this summer working on maintenance and cleaning up of so many trails on the mountain. Any guess what trail this is? Next up Overlook! #myplatty #catskills #catskillskiing #keepingitreal #trailcrew #winteriscoming @ Plattekill Mountain

Smellytele

The Platty trail crew is CRAZY busy this summer working on maintenance and cleaning up of so many trails on the mountain. Any guess what trail this is? Next up Overlook! #myplatty #catskills #catskillskiing #keepingitreal #trailcrew #winteriscoming @ Plattekill Mountain

Must be whiteout as I don’t see anything.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Any word on Platty or Bell's Covid plans for this winter? reduced capacity (shouldn't be an issue for Platty), reduced indoor capacity, gondi rules?....

ScottySkis

Any word on Platty or Bell's Covid plans for this winter? reduced capacity (shouldn't be an issue for Platty), reduced indoor capacity, gondi rules?....
Yes from April post on their Facebook page

"To our Plattekill Skiers and Riders: to help ease stresses regarding next winter and season passes, we are extending “early season” season pass deadlines for lowest rates from April 30 to October 15. We hope this will allow time for everyone to have more clarity on what next season will look like. Plus we’ve also added extra securities too. For full post, https://www.plattekill.com/tickets/#season-pass.
Stay strong, we will be stronger."

JimG.

Staff member

Nothing concrete yet regarding restrictions. I'm buying my 3 in 1 tomorrow.

I assume there will be some kind of restrictions on indoor capacity and lift capacity. But the 3 in 1 pass is designed more for a true "season passholder" than any of the mega passes where you get many more options as to where you can ski but also tons of customers competing for the skiing time. I'm hoping either ORDA or more likely Plattekill figures out there is a large group of "season passholders" who purchased with the idea of unlimited access and decide to cater to that segment. I would love to see ORDA or Platty go "season passholders" only. If that does not fill the day's capacity limit then sell day tickets on a walk up first come first served basis only.

There is definitely a market for that business model.

Smellytele

Nothing concrete yet regarding restrictions. I'm buying my 3 in 1 tomorrow.

I assume there will be some kind of restrictions on indoor capacity and lift capacity. But the 3 in 1 pass is designed more for a true "season passholder" than any of the mega passes where you get many more options as to where you can ski but also tons of customers competing for the skiing time. I'm hoping either ORDA or more likely Plattekill figures out there is a large group of "season passholders" who purchased with the idea of unlimited access and decide to cater to that segment. I would love to see ORDA or Platty go "season passholders" only. If that does not fill the day's capacity limit then sell day tickets on a walk up first come first served basis only.

There is definitely a market for that business model.

Who would want to even chance driving to whiteface to maybe get a day pass? Useless policy that would only be brought up by a pass holder thinking they are way more important than they really are.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I would love to see ORDA or Platty go "season passholders" only. If that does not fill the day's capacity limit then sell day tickets on a walk up first come first served basis only.

They would get their azzes handed to them financially if they did that. Not knowing anything about how well Platty is capitalized other than it's a tiny Mom & Pop, I dont even know if they could survive a season of that.
ORDA could survive that only because you & other New York State residents will pay (literally) for whatever financial mismanagement they incur.