• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

drjeff

There is a snowmaking window this weekend...let's see who turns them on.

Starting roughly on Tuesday, that when we really will get an idea. This weekend is more marginal with likely some shutdowns due to temps in many places. Along about Tuesday next week, looks like maybe a 2.5 - 3 day window for a continuous run for most everyone. That should really give a look at who's going to put some cards on the table, especially after having a few days to digest the latest hands the Gov Scott dealt this past week

zoomzoom

drjeff

you've prob read the gov's response today, we natives are doing the most harm in terms of new cases. 71% of new cases stem from local gatherings, parties, etc. the hammer's coming down. i've been inside a diner just once since feb ( outdoor tables just closed as it started raining), guess i'll wait another 6 months for the next time. stay safe out there.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/11/13/vermont-state-leaders-to-hold-briefing-as-covid-19-cases-rise/
Inside ='s bad
Outside ='s OK

Seems to be the general take home message here, regardless of where one lives (let's be honest, COVID is pretty much everywhere by now).

Skiing/riding happens where? (Big Snow excluded of course)

BenedictGomez

Many people who get a positive instant test just quarantine and do not bother with the PCR test - so their result is never reported in the official numbers.

Are you saying that State of Vermont doesn't count a citizen as a COVID19+ case unless they 100% receive confirmation via a PCR test? I'm not sure if you wrote that correctly, but if you did, that means any Vermont citizen suspected of COVID19, but not tested, or tested serologically & confirmed via antibody testing, but NOT currently COVID19 present wouldn't be counted as a Vermont + COVID19 incidence. If that's true, I suspect Vermont's public data are greatly flawed, and perhaps significantly undercounting the state's true # of COVID19 cases.

VTKilarney

Are you saying that State of Vermont doesn't count a citizen as a COVID19+ case unless they 100% receive confirmation via a PCR test?
That is the sole metric they use to calculate confirmed cases. This was told to me by a very high up healthcare executive.

drjeff

That is the sole metric they use to calculate confirmed cases. This was told to me by a very high up healthcare executive.
If that indeed is the case, were the people who ok'd this recording metric the same ones who ok'd the Burke/Jay/Quiros/EB-5 oversight?

mulva

My wife and I work from home in Killington. Seems to us that most/all people that visit do the masking and are very careful not to come into 6 ft of anyone. Ski shops have stocked up. Restaurants do a good job of keeping people apart. I think we need Winter to be somewhat normal maybe 50% to keep things here running.

machski

Any other state in the country have bars and restaurants back to takeout only? None that I know of. And it's because Vermont is....by far...the least Covid-inflicted state in the country.

I feel like you're almost asking your population to break the rules at that point. Why penalize the people who are doing the best job? Hey if the bars close NY, MA, and NH have their bars and restaurants open, what's stopping VT people from going there?
It is by region, but much of CA is. Outside dining is ok, but no indoor dining.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Another Alterra resort...another delayed opening- Steamboat December 1.

Solitude says they're hoping to be open by the end of the month, and are explicitly saying they'll be looking at when other resorts are opening as well to control local demand.

machski

Not exactly a resort based thing, but Maine is back to Quarantine restrictions on every state except for NH and VT currently. It also includes Maine residents again who go outside ME/NH/VT and then come back. Fun times....

BenedictGomez

That would be pretty shocking if true, and would basically render Vermont's "lowest COVID19 positivity" rate in America completely null & void in my opinion. Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's hard for me to believe, and I think if that were the case somebody in the Vermont media like a VTDigger would have been all over this, or somebody who understands statistics & the various tests available in healthcare would have gone to the media to call BS on Vermont's low COVID19 infection data. Net/net, in the event you are correct, I assure you Vermont has had many, many, many, many more COVID19 cases than they are reporting to the public.

Last edited: