• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maine reimposes quarantine, COVID-19 test requirements on visitors from Massachusetts

machski

There is no set date it drops off, Maine only allowing NH and VT residents to go back and forth freely, for now. I have zero confidence Mills won't seal the borders after Thanksgiving.

mbedle

No such thing as a class E felony in Maine, sorry.

There is a class E misdemeanor though.

According to Maine's AG website, they no longer use felony or misdemeanor to label a crime.

What are felonies and misdemeanors?​

Crimes were traditionally classified as felonies (serious crimes punishable by more than one year in prison) and misdemeanors (less serious crimes punishable by one year or less in jail). Maine no longer uses these categories, but classifies crimes as follows:

• Class E: Crimes punishable by up to six months incarceration and a $1,000 fine
  • Class D: Crimes punishable by up to 364 days incarceration and a $2,000 fine
  • Class C: Crimes punishable by up to 5 years incarceration and a $5,000 fine
  • Class B: Crimes punishable by up to ten years incarceration and a $20,000 fine
  • Class A: Crimes punishable by up to 30 years incarceration and a $50,000 fine
Some crimes fall outside of these classifications. For example, murder is punishable by a term of imprisonment of between 25 years and life. Special rules may also apply. For example, convicted organizations may be sentenced to pay fines in excess of those listed above.

2Planker

From Mills' Executive Order "This Order may also be enforced by any governmental department or official that regulates
licenses, permits or otherwise authorizes the operation or occupancy of eating establishments, bars
or tasting rooms, lodging operations and accommodations, businesses, buildings, parks and
campgrounds. Municipalities are authorized to enforce the use of face coverings on streets and
sidewalks, in parks and other public spaces where individuals are gathering and not able to
maintain at least six feet of physical distance from one another, and to enforce the gathering limits.
A violation of this Order may be construed to be a violation of any such license, permit and other
authorization to which pertinent penalties may be assessed. Pursuant to 37-B M.R.S.A. section
786, this Order may also be enforced by law enforcement as necessary."

Here's the section cited:
§786. Enforcement

1. Law enforcement officers. Duly appointed law enforcement officers of local, state and sheriffs' organizations are empowered to enforce any of the provisions of this chapter or any rules promulgated thereunder in times of an emergency or during authorized alerts, including partial or full mobilization necessary to carry out section 742. Failure to comply with any just or reasonable order relative to enforcement from a duly appointed law enforcement officer is a Class E crime.

2. Arrest powers. Duly appointed law enforcement officers of local, state and sheriffs' organizations shall have the power to arrest persons found in violation of any provision of this chapter or any rules promulgated in times of emergency to carry out section 742.

chuckstah

Massachusetts has now returned the favor

That's going to be impossible between MA and NH. MA and southern NH are attached at the hip. Half the cars on either side of the border are out of state on a continuous basis. I travel back and forth sometimes daily, and own property in both states. This will be interesting....

Massachusetts has now returned the favor

I suspect VT will be added next week, since MA requires the two-week average to be above 10 per 100k residents, and VT only hit that this week. So now, a weekend of legal skiing will cost a month stuck in the house!

gittist

From Mills' Executive Order "This Order may also be enforced by any governmental department or official that regulates
licenses, permits or otherwise authorizes the operation or occupancy of eating establishments, bars
or tasting rooms, lodging operations and accommodations, businesses, buildings, parks and
campgrounds. Municipalities are authorized to enforce the use of face coverings on streets and
sidewalks, in parks and other public spaces where individuals are gathering and not able to
maintain at least six feet of physical distance from one another, and to enforce the gathering limits.
A violation of this Order may be construed to be a violation of any such license, permit and other
authorization to which pertinent penalties may be assessed. Pursuant to 37-B M.R.S.A. section
786, this Order may also be enforced by law enforcement as necessary."

Here's the section cited:
§786. Enforcement

1. Law enforcement officers. Duly appointed law enforcement officers of local, state and sheriffs' organizations are empowered to enforce any of the provisions of this chapter or any rules promulgated thereunder in times of an emergency or during authorized alerts, including partial or full mobilization necessary to carry out section 742. Failure to comply with any just or reasonable order relative to enforcement from a duly appointed law enforcement officer is a Class E crime.

2. Arrest powers. Duly appointed law enforcement officers of local, state and sheriffs' organizations shall have the power to arrest persons found in violation of any provision of this chapter or any rules promulgated in times of emergency to carry out section 742.
If you dig through the press releases from Gov. Mills' office you'll see comments that there they are relying upon the honor system in regards to the quarantine. Pennsylvania has gone one step further by stating that there will be no active enforcement of the quarantine and that hey also are relying on the honor system.

Why have a quarantine unless there are indications that a significant number of cases have been arising from out-of-state visitors or travel ?

Has any one seen the scientific data that the state governments are using? I mean the actual study or data, not the misleading conclusory statements in the media or put out by the state governments.

Zand

The insane part is that MA has a higher rate than half the states on the quarantine list. Theres no reason why states like CT, RI, NH, NJ, NY, etc should be on the list. I'm safer spending a day in one of those states and coming back than I am going to a supermarket anywhere in eastern MA.

curlyfuzzie

Between the Catskill and Adirondack Parks
That's going to be impossible between MA and NH. MA and southern NH are attached at the hip. Half the cars on either side of the border are out of state on a continuous basis. I travel back and forth sometimes daily, and own property in both states. This will be interesting....
We are in the same situation in NY bordering MA. NY is not enforcing quarantine on those coming from "contiguous" states, of which MA is one. Unfortunately, MA is not reciprocating that arrangement. So in order for us to travel to our place at Jiminy, less than an hour away and just over the NY/MA border, MA insists on quarantine/test out. We'd either have to test or quarantine every time we drive back and forth (totally unrealistic), or move to Jiminy for the season (which we are seriously considering).

Boxtop Willie

A couple of friends went to Kittery Trading Post from MA on Sunday.. State trooper approached them as they got out of the car in the parking lot. Trooper asked if they were from Maine, friend said no. Trooper gave her a $500 citation for violating state quarantine order. Things are about to get ugly.

kbroderick

A couple of friends went to Kittery Trading Post from MA on Sunday.. State trooper approached them as they got out of the car in the parking lot. Trooper asked if they were from Maine, friend said no. Trooper gave her a $500 citation for violating state quarantine order. Things are about to get ugly.
That's the second time, months apart, that i've seen such a citation reported in an online forum, yet I've seen zero media reports. I just find that curious because if the goal is to get people to obey the regulations, wouldn't putting out a press release about the number of citations (and total fine amounts) issued serve the purpose? And regardless of press releases, I'm shocked that the anti-restriction crowd isn't yelling and screaming about such citations being issued.

(and the other report was also from someone who had posted reliable info on a regular basis and who had personally been questioned by a trooper in a Kittery parking lot, so I'm prepared to believe that it happened, I'm just puzzled about the lack of media coverage)

JimG.

Staff member
We are in the same situation in NY bordering MA. NY is not enforcing quarantine on those coming from "contiguous" states, of which MA is one. Unfortunately, MA is not reciprocating that arrangement. So in order for us to travel to our place at Jiminy, less than an hour away and just over the NY/MA border, MA insists on quarantine/test out. We'd either have to test or quarantine every time we drive back and forth (totally unrealistic), or move to Jiminy for the season (which we are seriously considering).
Wow that's brutal.

And the lack of a reciprocal agreement shows you what an idiot Cuomo is.

abc

cdskier