• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K will not reopen

skiur

Today, I’m pleased to announce our plan to launch summer operations, starting with the Golf Course on Saturday, May 23 and the Bike Park on Saturday, June 6.

Before I get into the opening details, I have some other news to share—we have made the difficult decision that we will not reopen for skiing and riding this spring. Given our commitment to early and late season skiing, and the amount of snow remaining on Superstar, this was an especially tough call but I am confident it was the right decision given our number one priority in navigating COVID-19 has been and continues to be the safety and wellbeing of our guests, staff and community. As some context for you, these are some of the factors that influenced our skiing and summer operations decisions:

Vermont is currently requiring out-of-state visitors to observe a strict 14-day quarantine period. Reopening for skiing operations with no way to practically enforce this directive, combined with the fact that we are located within easy driving distance of high-density population centers which have been greatly impacted by COVID-19 could put our community at risk.
Although some western resorts are hoping to reopen, in most cases they will have multiple lifts to spread crowds, whereas we’d only have one.
The reason we can open golf and mountain biking instead of skiing is related to the volume of guests we expect for each activity. On nice days in May in prior years we have had 1,000 people coming to Killington to ski and spectate at Superstar, while mountain biking would typically bring 100 or so guests and golf is of course regulated by tee times. Additionally, opportunities for golf and mountain biking exist across the Northeast, in our guest’s home states—not the case for skiing.  
We believe our energy and focus are best directed at reopening for summer and planning for the challenges that COVID-19 could bring to our operations next winter.

I’m sure many of you are as disappointed as I am to be closing the door on the 2019-20 ski season, but under the circumstances, it’s the right decision, and we are still fortunate to have enjoyed the longest season in the East—133 days despite the early closure—and to be able to offer the Killington Passholder Promise as an assurance for the future. I am excited to welcome 71 folks to the 100 Day Club who still managed to notch 100 or more days on snow, as well as congratulate the honorary inductees—anyone who scanned 70 or more days, in light of the shortened season.

With winter behind us, we are excited to move into summer operations, beginning with opening day of our 18-hole golf course on Saturday, May 23. The course will remain open daily through October 12—conditions permitting—with tee times available from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. At this time, the course is open only to Vermont residents and visitors from out of state who have completed the state mandated 14-day quarantine. At this time walk-ins are not permitted all guests must reserve and pay for their tee time in advance. More details, and our COVID-19 safety policies, can be found HERE.

Moving forward, the Bike Park is slated to open, pending the review of a re-opening plan by the Governor, to summer passholders only on Saturday & Sunday, June 6 & 7 and to the general public on Friday, June 12. The bike park will operate Friday through Sunday for the rest of June, and lift hours will be 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. At this time, only the Snowshed trails and Snowshed Express Quad will operate. No bike rentals or lessons will be available opening weekend.

As is typical this time of year, the upper mountain trails are still too wet to ride or maintain. We hope to have the Ramshead and K-1 lifts and trails ready to open sometime in July; however, we cannot guarantee that all three lifts will operate 7 days a week this season. We expect to have more details on Bike Park and Adventure Center operations in the near future, so stay tuned.

Although we’re not yet in a position to return to our normal operating mode, I am encouraged that we can finally start enjoying the mountain and some of the activities we’ve missed so much these past few months. Killington’s first priority remains the safety and wellbeing of our staff, guests, and greater community. The resort will continue to closely monitor COVID-19 and follow all local, state and national regulations, which may require operational adjustments through the summer. The reopening of Vermont’s economy is being carefully managed by state authorities, and it’s of utmost importance that we all follow the guidelines and do our part to reopen safely. For more details and our COVID-19 safety policies, visit Killington.com. I hope that you and your family are safe and healthy, and I will see you back at Killington again soon.

Mike Solimano
President and General Manager
Killington Resort and Pico Mountain

machski

Only call they could have made. If Snowbird didn't feel they could manage crowds for skiing, no way Killington could on such limited terrain and one lift. Now we wait to see if we can open with just Rime or if TTB off multiple lifts will needed for social distancing practices in the fall/early winter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

No surprise on the skiing. It was the right call given the situation. Also great to see summer operations starting to gear up.

I'm surprised they haven't announced something regarding the 365 pass and out of staters as part of the pass holders promise. Living out of state it is pretty hard to justify the purchase of the pass when the 14 day quarantine requirement by the state of Vermont would make the pass all but impossible to use.

machski

No surprise on the skiing. It was the right call given the situation. Also great to see summer operations starting to gear up.

I'm surprised they haven't announced something regarding the 365 pass and out of staters as part of the pass holders promise. Living out of state it is pretty hard to justify the purchase of the pass when the 14 day quarantine requirement by the state of Vermont would make the pass all but impossible to use.
Guess they are just planning to sell less of those this year. Maine also has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for out of staters and SR has been asked about that and out of state pass purchases being refunded if that holds. SR's answer has been that is currently only in effect thru July and while it could be extended, they will cross that bridge with respect to season passes when they have to. Not before. So I guess it's a do you roll the dice, especially on a 365 that can start being used this summer.

boston_e

Guess they are just planning to sell less of those this year. Maine also has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for out of staters and SR has been asked about that and out of state pass purchases being refunded if that holds. SR's answer has been that is currently only in effect thru July and while it could be extended, they will cross that bridge with respect to season passes when they have to. Not before. So I guess it's a do you roll the dice, especially on a 365 that can start being used this summer.

That is what I'm wrestling with. If the 14 day quarantine ends at the end of June its not a big deal, but what if it lasts all summer. It is hard to contemplate purchasing that pass with that unknown. I'm sure their sales on this are way down due to that conundrum.