• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

How exactly would someone find any obvious violations by simply looking at a signed affidavit? These affidavits have very little information on them (name, date, signature, some contact info, and a checkbox that says "I agree I met the requirements and followed the rules" essentially). Unless someone signs it as "Mickey Mouse" or fills in 212-555-1234 as their phone number...there's nothing to point out whether someone was truthful or not.
Someone could leave said hotel at Sunday and return the next Saturday

KustyTheKlown

all that means is they checked into a hotel twice in a 10 day period, it doesn't mean they left the state

this is not enforceable. people should abide by the rules or at least the spirit of the rules in the interests of keeping others as safe as possible and allowing skiing and the ski economy to function. but give me a break, Vermont law enforcement isn't going to be wasting time scrupulously pouring over the affidavits from hundreds of hotels and ski areas. get real.

cdskier

all that means is they checked into a hotel twice in a 10 day period, it doesn't mean they left the state

this is not enforceable. people should abide by the rules or at least the spirit of the rules in the interests of keeping others as safe as possible and allowing skiing and the ski economy to function. but give me a break, Vermont law enforcement isn't going to be wasting time scrupulously pouring over the affidavits from hundreds of hotels and ski areas. get real.

Exactly...on all points.

I think the most anyone doing any checking of affidavits would/could do is ensure the hotel/ski area actually simply has one on file for every person that stayed or skied there.

Slidebrook87

What I’ve realized at this point is that Vermont’s strategy is to basically deter as many out of staters as possible, which has worked to an extent. There is no way to enforce all of their guidelines, but with what they’ve done, they’ve deterred a portion of out of staters, and encouraged other out of staters to stay home. Of course there’s always going to be that college kid that had a party on Friday night and drove up on Saturday morning, but my hope is that with masks, googles, gloves and limited time in the lodge, even if they had it, they probably wouldn’t spread it. I also think that a lot of people are still going up, but being responsible and staying home except for essential trips to the grocery store etc.

slatham

What I’ve realized at this point is that Vermont’s strategy is to basically deter as many out of staters as possible, which has worked to an extent. There is no way to enforce all of their guidelines, but with what they’ve done, they’ve deterred a portion of out of staters, and encouraged other out of staters to stay home. Of course there’s always going to be that college kid that had a party on Friday night and drove up on Saturday morning, but my hope is that with masks, googles, gloves and limited time in the lodge, even if they had it, they probably wouldn’t spread it. I also think that a lot of people are still going up, but being responsible and staying home except for essential trips to the grocery store etc.

As I've said before, this will be the definition of negative selection. The people who have followed the rules and have been careful will not come to VT due to rules. Those who don't wear masks and don't give a F*#@ will be on first chair (though hopefully not at Magic). I hope I am wrong......

KustyTheKlown

i agree that you'll prob be seeing a lot of that at the epic and ikons, but much less so (i think) at the independents. it also remains to be seen how the resorts go about enforcing masks and things. i read yesterday someplace in BC pulled season passes over mask compliance already. imo, good.

JimG.

Staff member
As I've said before, this will be the definition of negative selection. The people who have followed the rules and have been careful will not come to VT due to rules. Those who don't wear masks and don't give a F*#@ will be on first chair (though hopefully not at Magic). I hope I am wrong......
Indeed; throw away the wheat and keep the chaff.

urungus

Not related to Covid, but does anyone know the real reason behind the pink/blue chair on Red?

Chair 16 on the Red Chair is painted turquoise and pink and we quickly learned that the kids at Magic call it the Cotton Candy seat. All of them, including my own, desperately want to ride it. I was touched to learn that the chair is a living tribute to a 16-year-old member of the racing team who died in her sleep while training in South America. The other kids on the team organized the project and painted the chair in her favorite colors, which speaks volumes about the kind of community you’ll find at this mountain.

Source: https://allmountainmamas.skivermont.com/magic-mountain-southern-vermont/

tnt1234

It seems to me the only thing the affidavits could lead to is charges should you end up in the hospital in VT with Covid. IOW, you he'd to VT, sign the affidavit even though you didn't quarantine and test at home. You get sick, you check into hospital. They might then check the affidavit you signed and charge you for....I don't what. False statement? And of course breaking the ban rules.

Otherwise, seems totally unenforceable to me.

tnt1234

i agree that you'll prob be seeing a lot of that at the epic and ikons, but much less so (i think) at the independents. it also remains to be seen how the resorts go about enforcing masks and things. i read yesterday someplace in BC pulled season passes over mask compliance already. imo, good.
Good.

I'm still trying to figure out the strategy though. I guess just wear a cloth mask and pull it down while skiing, and up at the base? That thing is gonna get wet pretty fast.

I suppose people will assume those ski masks with holes int eh nose and breaking holes at the mask will count....I hope they don't.

cdskier

It seems to me the only thing the affidavits could lead to is charges should you end up in the hospital in VT with Covid. IOW, you he'd to VT, sign the affidavit even though you didn't quarantine and test at home. You get sick, you check into hospital. They might then check the affidavit you signed and charge you for....I don't what. False statement? And of course breaking the ban rules.

Otherwise, seems totally unenforceable to me.

Just getting covid wouldn't prove the affidavit false though. You could have come in contact with it while you were in VT. (Side note...I fully support people following the rules...merely pointing out the absurdity over the notion that there will be any way to legitimately enforce anything).

KustyTheKlown

Good.

I'm still trying to figure out the strategy though. I guess just wear a cloth mask and pull it down while skiing, and up at the base? That thing is gonna get wet pretty fast.

I suppose people will assume those ski masks with holes int eh nose and breaking holes at the mask will count....I hope they don't.

i got new outerwear this year, all black, and some pink accessories to go with my pink black crows. so it seemed a no brainer to buy this the other day. $30. they have a ton of colors and patterns. amazon. its very versatile, there are like 4 different ways to wear it. very easy up/down, no dealing with a mask tied behind my head or around my ears. i may double up on these, or i may keep a paper surgical mask on under everything on my chin to be lifted (under this pink thing) when in lift queues and riding lifts.

1606313471162.png.

tnt1234

Just getting covid wouldn't prove the affidavit false though. You could have come in contact with it while you were in VT. (Side note...I fully support people following the rules...merely pointing out the absurdity over the notion that there will be any way to legitimately enforce anything).
True.

But it could lead to some proof being requested?

I don't know...it seems pretty hard to enforce. Don't get me wrong, it's totally working on us. We were going to rent a place for the winter in S.Vt and ski magic, but after doing some research and meeting a little resistance and hesitance from homeowners, and after learning about the travel restrictions in place then, we decided it wouldn't be workable for us to follow the rules, and we wouldn't feel comfortable bending them frequently, so we bailed and have zero plans to ski in VT this winter. Which breaks my heart, but you know, it's a fucking pandemic so I'll get over it.

We ended up with a place in the catskills, and I sure hope NY doesn't put in similar restrictions because the money is down!

tnt1234

i got new outerwear this year, all black, and some pink accessories to go with my pink black crows. so it seemed a no brainer to buy this the other day. $30. they have a ton of colors and patterns. amazon. its very versatile, there are like 4 different ways to wear it. very easy up/down, no dealing with a mask tied behind my head or around my ears. i may double up on these, or i may keep a paper surgical mask on under everything on my chin to be lifted (under this pink thing) when in lift queues and riding lifts.

View attachment 42625.
That's a good call - looks like that face mask portion is well designed to easily cover your nose....I've got a few kind of regular balaclavas but they won't easily cover my nose.

KustyTheKlown

this thanksgiving i am thankful to work from home, have a partner who works from home, have no kids, and be a pretty proficient home cook. also thankful to be a bit of a lone wolf type when it comes to skiing. it's really nice that i can actually honor the rules and ski in Vermont quite frequently.

tnt1234

this thanksgiving i am thankful to work from home, have a partner who works from home, have no kids, and be a pretty proficient home cook. also thankful to be a bit of a lone wolf type when it comes to skiing. it's really nice that i can actually honor the rules and ski in Vermont quite frequently.
Yeah, there is no way I can work from home and honor the rules. I would have no issue at all in having a weekly test done, but it I would not be able to really quarantine.

Should be a good season for you - have imagine crowds will be low.

cdskier

True.

But it could lead to some proof being requested?

I don't know...it seems pretty hard to enforce. Don't get me wrong, it's totally working on us. We were going to rent a place for the winter in S.Vt and ski magic, but after doing some research and meeting a little resistance and hesitance from homeowners, and after learning about the travel restrictions in place then, we decided it wouldn't be workable for us to follow the rules, and we wouldn't feel comfortable bending them frequently, so we bailed and have zero plans to ski in VT this winter. Which breaks my heart, but you know, it's a fucking pandemic so I'll get over it.

We ended up with a place in the catskills, and I sure hope NY doesn't put in similar restrictions because the money is down!

I don't see what "proof" there is to determine whether you really quarantined or not in another state. If someone sits home for 14 days, how do you provide some sort of proof of that? Are they going to ask to see your credit card transactions or GPS logs from your phone or something? Are they going to call your work to determine whether you work from home or not? Without a subpoena/court order, I don't know that they'd even be able to legally request/obtain any of that info anyway. And I really don't see VT having the resources to try to pursue things that still may not truly prove anything. The system really relies on people simply being honest.

Personally I have no clue yet what I'm doing this winter. I'm still waiting to find out whether my contract at work is renewed beyond this year or not before I make any decisions. Working remotely from VT for the winter would be an option if my contract is renewed. Being a ski bum and staying in VT all winter if I don't have a job is also a possibility (in this case it just becomes a question of how comfortable I am financially doing that). I do know that no matter what, I do NOT plan on the whole "being in NJ midweek and VT weekends" thing that I normally do because that would clearly violate the rules and I have no intention of blatantly breaking them.

Tin

View attachment 42625.

You need some pink 80s pants. Grabbed mine for $20 on ebay.

Attachments

• 1606315924213.png
    1606315924213.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 4

KustyTheKlown

i got a grey giro helmet with pink lettering and tracing around the vents, pink black crows poles, dropping hard hints to the girlfriend about custom oakley flight decks with pink rims and pink oakley logos, pink balaclava, and three different pairs of pink heavy skis (kastle bmx118, black crows corvus 2019, black crows corvus 2020). looking for pink gloves.