• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

kbroderick

No agenda. You may have one since you do not like the Danish findings. I am looking for scientific data that supports the use. I have numerous comparisons of with and without mandates from various states. Montana and Wyoming is good one. The Danish had some questions but not sure why you think the population study was not statistically valid. You can pick apart any study if you want that is part of the scientific review process.
Montana vs Wyoming would only be a good comparison if people were complying with the Montana mandate. From what I've seen on Facebook, many aren't.

Likewise, the Dakotas would probably make a good case study now that one of the two has a mask mandate, but that only works if people are complying with the mandate in sufficient numbers. Without knowing accurate usage numbers, it's damn near impossible to prove effectiveness (or lack thereof), so we have to make do with best-guess theories, and the reality is that if wearing masks means we get to keep 20% moore of the economy open (feel free to pick your own arbitrary percentage), it's worth wearing them.

It's kinda like seatbelts or avy beacons: if I actually end up using either, I probably screwed up, and so far my rate of needing the first is near zero since college, and of needing the second for anything other than practice searches or passing a checkpoint is zero. I'm still going to keep using both, because if I need them, it's going to have been worth it.

Puck it

As far as danish's go I really do love a good bear claw.

Just wear the f-ing mask. Arguing over their effectiveness is dumb.
I do when needed. I don't need the government telling me to do so. I have been cynical towards the government until this crap happened. Now I do not trust any of them. And no I am not a tin hat guy.

Puck it

So it's not obedience then?

Had any of those "theorist" had any data to verify their hypothesis? Anyone can roll out of bed and came up with a random "theory". It's worth about as much as the air it took to utter it.
This is a non peer reviewed hypothesis. And your comment is not worth the electrons used to transmit as it is very closed minded.

Edd

I do when needed. I don't need the government telling me to do so. I have been cynical towards the government until this crap happened. Now I do not trust any of them. And no I am not a tin hat guy.
This is a non peer reviewed hypothesis. And your comment is not worth the electrons used to transmit as it is very closed minded.
You’re just an open minded guy who totally does not trust the government and is wondering out loud if masks are effective during a pandemic on a ski forum. Why don’t people get that?

Puck it

You’re just an open minded guy who totally does not trust the government and is wondering out loud if masks are effective during a pandemic on a ski forum. Why don’t people get that?
Think what you like. See.

BenedictGomez

The part of the mask thing that does worry me, and this mostly applies to the virtue-signaling portion of the pro-mask crowd, is that they seem to believe while wearing a mask you become Superman, holding up your hand to stop machine gun bullets, or in this case, nanometer-sized viral particulate. I've noticed a big drop in people's caution level in public over time.

abc

A "non-peer-reviewed hypothesis" with no supporting data would get any "theorist" laugh out of the room in any meaningful discussion. But I suspect the "theorist" in this case wasn't in the room to begin with, aka, just some random rambling from an armature.

Your mind is so "open" that everything leaks out of it, till there's nothing left!

Edd

The part of the mask thing that does worry me, and this mostly applies to the virtue-signaling portion of the pro-mask crowd, is that they seem to believe while wearing a mask you become Superman, holding up your hand to stop machine gun bullets, or in this case, nanometer-sized viral particulate. I've noticed a big drop in people's caution level in public over time.
I‘ve seen a similar argument applied, on this forum, to people wearing ski helmets being overly brave and I’ve never bought into it. A far larger concern to me is people behaving as you say and not wearing masks.

cdskier

That was actually one of the concerns as well raised in the Danish study as part of the author's analysis.

In addition, the wearer of a face mask may change to a less cautious behavior because of a false sense of security, as pointed out by WHO; accordingly, our face mask group seemed less worried, which may explain their increased willingness to wear face masks in the future. These challenges, including costs and availability, may reduce the efficacy of face masks to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Puck it

A "non-peer-reviewed hypothesis" with no supporting data would get any "theorist" laugh out of the room in any meaningful discussion. But I suspect the "theorist" in this case wasn't in the room to begin with, aka, just some random rambling from an armature.

Your mind is so "open" that everything leaks out of it, till there's nothing left!
Open to other people's ideas to point that you don't believe it. I never said that the theory was proven or accurate. I put it out for discussion. Coronaviruses may be more common in Asia to do their cultures as they can be transmitted from animals to humans.

Puck it

I‘ve seen a similar argument applied, on this forum, to people wearing ski helmets being overly brave and I’ve never bought into it. A far larger concern to me is people behaving as you say and not wearing masks.
Another example of this are hockey face masks. But again it is hard o prove.

EPB

I wish we had data on how fast the average or median person skis now vs. 1990 between better ski technology and the proliferation of helmets. I doubt that's knowable. What isn't controversial is that terrain parks and tree skiing (especially on the east coast) is far more prevalent than it was in 1990. It also isn't controversial to say that those activities are more dangerous than exclusively skiing a groomers or moguls.

abc

Or not wearing helmets...

da-bum

Open to other people's ideas to point that you don't believe it. I never said that the theory was proven or accurate. I put it out for discussion. Coronaviruses may be more common in Asia to do their cultures as they can be transmitted from animals to humans.
The high animal to human transmission might be applicable to certain sub-regions of asia, but it does not explain the vast swaths of east and southeast asia that has low infection rates. The most likely explanation seems to be that they have more of a "we" culture vs our "me" culture. Covid-19 is not a "Nobody is going to tell me to wear a seatbelt, and if I crash, I die" thing because if left unchecked, eventually it will reach a level until we reach herd immunity, which is some ideologue's end goal. Even if it has a optimistically small 0.1% IFR, that could mean 7million deaths.

Another example of this are hockey face masks. But again it is hard o prove.
A better example would be american football vs rugby. One being a variation of the other, but both with minimal protection gear. American football evolved into something where one has to wear full combat gear, supposedly for protection purpose, while the style also turned to a full combat sport. All the extra head protection resulted in play techniques that are unsee in rugby, along with the high prevalence of CTE among players.

VTKilarney

Not great news from Vermont. The Vermont forecast points to a 50% increase in Covid-19 cases over the next 3 weeks. However, there’s a lot unknown about the impact of Thanksgiving travel, and that could affect actual cases in either direction.

Forecast.jpg

nhskier1969

The NFL says that there hasn't been any person to person contact on the field? Do you guys believe it? If it is true, how? Linebackers are in each others face on every play, when someone gets tackled there are several players on top of them. Anyway any thoughts?