• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non-Epic season pass suggestions for next season

McFatt

Looking at 2021-22 ski season, it is highly likely that I'm not going back to Epic, even though my home mountain (Attitash) is on that pass. Where should I go instead? I have 2 kids that ski, wife only xc skis, and we are on the NH seacoast, so looking to be within 2-2.5 hours of a destination. Bonus if there's decent fatbiking in the area.
-Thanks for your input

thebigo

From the nh seacoast your options are boyne, cannon and wmsp. Unfortunately both night skiing alternatives to crotched are on stand alone passes - Pat's and gunny. I like cannon but do not think I could spend an entire season there. We will likely be between boyne and wmsp. There are pluses and minuses to both for our family.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looking at 2021-22 ski season, it is highly likely that I'm not going back to Epic, even though my home mountain (Attitash) is on that pass. Where should I go instead? I have 2 kids that ski, wife only xc skis, and we are on the NH seacoast, so looking to be within 2-2.5 hours of a destination. Bonus if there's decent fatbiking in the area.
-Thanks for your input
Bretton Woods?

At last check their passes were not too badly priced. The terrain is a bit flat. XC is great at the Mount Washington Hotel. And they get more snow than Attitash.

thetrailboss

Staff member
-Thanks for your input
And if you are really into biking then Burke is a good option. Just realize that they are pretty weather dependent.

icecoast1

How far are you from Southern VT? If you go to the londonderry/Jamaica area you've got Magic, Bromley and Stratton all within short driving distance.

Smellytele

From the nh seacoast your options are boyne, cannon and wmsp. Unfortunately both night skiing alternatives to crotched are on stand alone passes - Pat's and gunny. I like cannon but do not think I could spend an entire season there. We will likely be between boyne and wmsp. There are pluses and minuses to both for our family.
Cannon is doing great this year. I have been a pass holder there in the past and still rarely get bored there. Totally different place since the 90’s. Do get bored at attitrash and Flat ‘n woods.

xwhaler

I'm also on the Seacoast and will be moving my family away form Epic pass.
We are going WMSP but the lack of a mtn less than 90 mins away is sort of annoying. Come on Gunstock join up! (your already on the college WMSP)

if you wanted to make this a $ thing WV gives a free kids pass (12 and under) for every adult pass purchased
the other option is Cannon NH resident combined with either Pats or Ragged cheap pass (ragged is cheaper but Pats offers u night skiing) for quicker drive and more ability to bundle in back to back wknd days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fellow NH Seacoaster. Going with WMSP.

As compelling as Boyne snowmaking is, no way do I want anything to do with Loon on weekends and Sunday River is just too far for frequent day trips. I'd consider a seasonal rental up there, but I find the four WMSP options overall more compelling than Sunday River. That's mainly because of Cannon

deadheadskier

Staff member
How far are you from Southern VT? If you go to the londonderry/Jamaica area you've got Magic, Bromley and Stratton all within short driving distance.

I think I can speak for the OP, but Southern VT is completely off the radar for most in Eastern NH. The roads positively sucks getting over there. I can be at Sugarbush in about 15 more minutes than Stratton. Since moving here in 2008, I've probably skied south of Killington 5 times. Due to the crowds at the big places and pain in the ass drive, I want nothing to do with Southern VT save for maybe a rare trip to Magic when the condition are right

McFatt

I think I can speak for the OP, but Southern VT is completely off the radar for most in Eastern NH. The roads positively sucks getting over there. I can be at Sugarbush in about 15 more minutes than Stratton. Since moving here in 2008, I've probably skied south of Killington 5 times. Due to the crowds at the big places and pain in the ass drive, I want nothing to do with Southern VT save for maybe a rare trip to Magic when the condition are right
Ya, southern VT is no bueno. Plus I'm partial to the Whites an who knows how long the Covid quarantine is going to last. Hopefully next season is different and we can travel throughout the New England states w/o the hassle, but wmsp might check the boxes.

KustyTheKlown

traversing east/west in northern new england is hard. one time i tried driving from sugarloaf to jay peak in a moderate snow. i hit a moose and flipped my car and had no cell service. missed a helluva day at jay.

second time i can use this big lebowski reference today on this board - dude's car got a little dinged up

prsboogie

Just using portsmouth as a starting point (not sure where everyone lives on the coast) the ride to SR and BW are the same times ~ 2 1/4. Cannon is 15 minutes less at 2 as is WV. The bitch is SL - 3 1/4 wow. Obviously those numbers are strictly by Google maps and actual times may ravy 😉

cdskier

Just using portsmouth as a starting point (not sure where everyone lives on the coast) the ride to SR and BW are the same times ~ 2 1/4. Cannon is 15 minutes less at 2 as is WV. The bitch is SL - 3 1/4 wow. Obviously those numbers are strictly by Google maps and actual times may ravy 😉

I had to laugh at considering 3 1/4 to SL a "bitch" (even if that was intended as a joke). That's almost day trip range! (and for some people it would be...although I draw the line around 2.5).

I'm so jealous of just how many resorts you can get to in under 4 hours.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a bit inland from Portsmouth.

Cannon - 1:50
Waterville - 1:45
Bretton - 2:15
Cranmore - 1:40

Vs

Loon - 1:45
Sunday River - 2:30
Sugarloaf - 3:25

Two hours is kind of my psychological barrier on how far I want to go with regular day trips. Even Cannon is pushing it a bit, but it's the closest terrain/vibe experience to Wildcat.

thebigo

It really is unfortunate that vail has had such a disastrous season, the mix of mountains is perfect for the boston north and nh crowd.

The WMSP does not work because there is no night skiing option in the southern half of the state. Also, all four mountains close down in early to mid april. Skiing April vacation week is one of the highlights of the season. Given the cost of the WMSP it is difficult to justify a second or third pass.

I would love to get a seasonal rental at SR but it is difficult with an 80 lb lab/pit mix. She is the most docile dog and unfortunately may not even be around this time next year but we would need to start looking for a rental in the spring when boyne does their early season deal. Also the drive to SR may be a bit too much for my wife on Friday nights. SL usually stays open NH April vacation week, which would be a hell of a time. Midweek powder days at loon would be good. Did boyne throw in an Ikon base with the unlimited pass? Five days in may at K would be nice, also the option to take the kids out west for april vacation.

I am finding myself considering multiple passes. Something along the lines of ragged for the weekends, a midweek gunstock pass and K spring pass. I am guessing that would be around $2K total but no idea what gunstock charges for a midweek or night pass. We could do weekend kid programs at ragged, gunny a few afternoons a week, K for april and may. Assuming Cannon brings back the NH resident midweek deals, it is close enough to be a wednesday weekly routine. Doesnt hurt that my dad gets a cannon and gunstock pass every year and at 75 he is running out of ski seasons.

KustyTheKlown

my ikon base (650) + magic sundays (289) + indy (150 - i got a discount) was ~$1000, so you def don't need to spend $2000 to cover your bases

thebigo

Didnt lay that out well, would need four ragged passes, two gunstock passes and two k passes.

Ragged was around $300 early buy for adults, dont know the kid price. K spring is around $250 early buy. No idea on gunstock.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Night skiing doesn't really interest me any more. Having a close option does. Gunstock would be ideal. Or Pat's.

Season length advantage of Cat is over with Vail. They'll be closing 4/11 this season. Maybe non Covid years they will push it out a week, but the days of trying for November 1st or May 1st are over. I don't see any meaningful difference in the NH Epic resort season length vs WMSP moving forward. The WMSP is more expensive to be certain, but if they're making more snow while being slightly less crowded, that's money well spent to me.

For me, I'm satisfied with a season length of roughly 11/10 to 4/20. Late April I'm hoping for warm weather to put my boat in it's slip for the season.

KustyTheKlown

Didnt lay that out well, would need four ragged passes, two gunstock passes and two k passes.

Ragged was around $300 early buy for adults, dont know the kid price. K spring is around $250 early buy. No idea on gunstock.

got it. i am glad to have no kids and no plans to have any.