• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

F skiing.. We're taking on the Catskill High Peaks during winter!!!

Funky_Catskills

Sick of all this COVID crap at the ski areas... Hoping it dies down in Feb...
Until then..
We got Slide Mountain Sunday.. Doing Black Dome next weekend. There's 4 winter hikes you need to do to get into the Catskills 3500 club.. :)
Winter hiking rules!!!

caseydavidsons

The truth is it can never die down in Feb. but let's hope this madness will end soon. I'm sick of this virus man.

Scruffy

Until then..
We got Slide Mountain Sunday.. Doing Black Dome next weekend. There's 4 winter hikes you need to do to get into the Catskills 3500 club.. :)
Winter hiking rules!!!

Only 4 hikes :rolleyes: While you're at it, why not go for the Winter patch? Winter is the best time to bag some peaks.

JimG.

Staff member
Until then..
Winter hiking rules!!!
You could bag 3 3500 peaks in one hike if you do Blackhead, Black Dome and Thomas Cole. That's about 12 miles of hiking altogether.

Did that a few years back and it's a challenging hike. Of course I did it in the summer and I'll bet it's even more challenging in the winter.

ScottySkis

You could bag 3 3500 peaks in one hike if you do Blackhead, Black Dome and Thomas Cole. That's about 12 miles of hiking altogether.

Did that a few years back and it's a challenging hike. Of course I did it in the summer and I'll bet it's even more challenging in the winter.
It was fun times but strenuous

Funky_Catskills

Right - we did Blackhead last weekend because it's a mandatory winter hike for the 3500 club.. Planning on doing all three in the spring maybe sooner.

tnt1234

Until then..
Winter hiking rules!!!
I thought you had to bad all 33 to get into that club.

Scruffy

Didn't realize that was the case, that 4 hikes had to be repeated in winter.

Yup, but you can then apply those four winter hikes to the Winter Patch. In other words, if you want both the 3500 patch and the 3500 Winter patch, you don't need to hike those four peaks three times if you don't care to.

JimG.

Staff member
Yup, but you can then apply those four winter hikes to the Winter Patch. In other words, if you want both the 3500 patch and the 3500 Winter patch, you don't need to hike those four peaks three times if you don't care to.
lol very sporting of them.

Scruffy

BTW Catskill mountain hikers, if you've not heard already, Graham and Doubletop are permanently closed to the public, and so have been taken off the 3500 tally sheet. Both of those mountains have their peaks on private land. The owners have been very generous to have let the 3500 hikers access those peaks, with permission of course, over the past 40 years or so. However, with the increase in interest in peak bagging over the years and especially this year with COVID, and the fact that people were not following the rules and requesting permission from the care taker, they've closed access for good.

Funky_Catskills

BTW Catskill mountain hikers, if you've not heard already, Graham and Doubletop are permanently closed to the public, and so have been taken off the 3500 tally sheet. Both of those mountains have their peaks on private land. The owners have been very generous to have let the 3500 hikers access those peaks, with permission of course, over the past 40 years or so. However, with the increase in interest in peak bagging over the years and especially this year with COVID, and the fact that people were not following the rules and requesting permission from the care taker, they've closed access for good.
Thats sucks but I understand - it was a free for all last summer on the trails and tralheads..