• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First?

abc

Too funny. And I'm in full agreement. More cams = more better.

I'm just flashing back to the 80s where my only knowledge of conditions as a kid was looking at a small conditions report in the back page of the sports section in the Boston Globe. Right next to the NBA and NHL standings they'd list all the ski areas, how many lifts and trails they have open and any snow 24 hours ago.

Then along came the high tech conditions reports you could call into.
I started skiing in the 80's. But it was in a region with fairly reliable weather pattern (no freezing, no rain).

When I moved to the northeast with its freckle weather, I got into a few bad days within a couple seasons (complete with a car wreck). Resulting in my stopping skiing in the northeast altogether. I switching to fly away ski vacation in the west.

AZ is the reason I'm skiing in the northeast again, with the "crowd sourced REAL condition report". Webcam is good. It at least shows coverage. But it still doesn't always show the surface condition. I'm not going to drive hours to ski refrozen crap.

thebigo

Looks good! How close do you think they are to being top to bottom?
Bottom is ski at your own risk per staff and patrol. About half the people downloading, half skiing down. On lift now but planning to ski down at lunch time, will report back.

Zand

Usually skip stair season at Killington unless it's something special like a mid October opening. Hoping to kick things off at SR on Tuesday, weather permitting.

Newpylong

In such a rush they didn't even run the cat over it. Got lucky with the wx today so it softened up. Skiing looks great.

Hawk

It’s just that, the midstation option sucks so I can see SR trying their damndest to get away from that.
But they are open. Without it they would be another week out. Skiing beats not skiing. I will ski the midstation every time. If you go at noon all the baffons get sick of the line and leave and the afteroon is fine. I am there every year and I have not had a bad day. Until Sunday River figures out how to add 1000 vert I think they should embrace it.

Edd

But they are open. Without it they would be another week out. Skiing beats not skiing. I will ski the midstation every time. If you go at noon all the baffons get sick of the line and leave and the afteroon is fine. I am there every year and I have not had a bad day. Until Sunday River figures out how to add 1000 vert I think they should embrace it.
I wouldn’t if I were them. T2B or don’t bother. They’d be fine, I think.

thebigo

I wouldn’t if I were them. T2B or don’t bother. They’d be fine, I think.
Everything about today was awesome: the crowd, the actual skiing, the weather, the beer, the new friends, the burger - everything.

If SR had not opened I would have spent the day staring at a laptop and troubleshooting code.

If anybody from the mountain should ever happen to read this - thank you SR for the flexibility to use the midstation.

Last edited:

machski

Theoretical capacity increase is only around 25% due to chair spacing. May be less in actuality because people are not used to loading an 8.
It has a loading conveyor, so that hopefully will cut down on misloads since it shuttles you into proper position at the proper time (and can even be raised up for the little ones to load easier). Unload to be determined, but that next chair isn't coming in anywhere near as fast as the quad did due to much greater chair spacing on the line.

Puck it

Cannon shows Dec 3rd as opening day now...
Snow production has good up high, but they had guns going to where the chair crosses overhead and they produced absolutely nothing. Temps have been marginal and wet bulb has not been cooperating.