• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windham Intel?

slatham

Actually ISO Windham intel. For the foreseeable future I am in day trip mode from Long Island and with an Ikon pass wondering about Windham? I am especially interested in whether they have any legit glades, either on or off map (not asking for directions to stashes just are they there, and is Patrol OK with it)? Any other insight appreciated.

I have no plans to ski on Saturday or the holidays BTW. Maybe Sunday, but likely on weekday.

Jimmy and Catamount also in my sights but I have been there before. While my normal target would be Platty, I feel compelled to use pass products I already paid for. But we will see......

And yes, I realize there is no snow but I also follow the weather closely and see chances of that changing.

Thanks all.

Think Snow!

KustyTheKlown

i don't ski at windham a lot but i tend to get a day or two there every couple of years

they only have one marked glade at the far right side of the trail map. however, they do have a fairly substantial mountain bike operation and the bike trails can be skied as glades sort of like at plattekill but not as good. i've done this on two days where the snow was good enough to venture off-piste and i've never had an issue with patrol or anything like that. here's the bike map - https://www.windhammountain.com/visit/bike-park/trail-map/

an area on the map labeled 'wilderness bowl' looks as if it would be good on-map tree skiing, but really its just an area slated for future trail development. the woods are too thick and thwacky to ski in my recollection, but the two trails over there that are graded blue-black are au natural and have some character

it's upscale compared to platty and belle for sure. a fine place to ski within 2.5 hours of midtown. 1500 vert (i think?), respectable for the cats

slatham

Ah yes bike map - brilliant! Should have thought of that given my Platty experience. And yes was hoping that Wilderness Bowl area had something skiable.

Thanks KTK.

skiur

Is there enough snow to ski glades in the Catskills right now?

crank

Waiting. Hoping. Ready to drive up Tuesday.

abc

Forecast is calling for potentially over a foot. Still, that's falling on bare ground. Will it be enough to ski the woods?

KustyTheKlown

Forecast is calling for potentially over a foot. Still, that's falling on bare ground. Will it be enough to ski the woods?

yes.

edited to add - didnt realize i was in the windham thread. at windham, no. at magic/stratton, yes.

Abominable

20 years I ago I worked for a bus company out of NYC and skied at Windham once or twice a week for a whole season. It luckily coincided with an amazing snow year. That Wilderness Bowl was our playground, short but lots of fun. Short cliffs to drop, trees to slide... great fun. But I suppose anything is skiable given enough snow.

Thanks for bringing back some memories.

slatham

Thanks for intel. If the Monday storm takes the right track the Catskills could easily get a foot.

crank

If skiing a fresh foot of snow why do need trees. To me trees are for afterwards.

KustyTheKlown

If skiing a fresh foot of snow why do need trees. To me trees are for afterwards.

windham will be tracked out in about 8 minutes. the benefit Monday is free refills. if lifts can keep moving. if lifts cant move and the mountain basically sits untouched til tuesday, tracked out in 8 minutes.

x10003q

Actually ISO Windham intel. For the foreseeable future I am in day trip mode from Long Island and with an Ikon pass wondering about Windham? I am especially interested in whether they have any legit glades, either on or off map (not asking for directions to stashes just are they there, and is Patrol OK with it)? Any other insight appreciated.

I have no plans to ski on Saturday or the holidays BTW. Maybe Sunday, but likely on weekday.

Jimmy and Catamount also in my sights but I have been there before. While my normal target would be Platty, I feel compelled to use pass products I already paid for. But we will see......

And yes, I realize there is no snow but I also follow the weather closely and see chances of that changing.

Thanks all.

Think Snow!
I am in the same boat. Had thoughts about yesterday and today, but not really worth the day off. Maybe Tuesday, even with the 8 minute demo.