• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River trip advice

Bumpsis

I'd like to get some advice on which parking lot at Sunday River will be the best option if I want to minimize the walking distance to the lifts. Our car will be "our lodge" so schlepping in our ski boots is the biggest issue here. We'll be skiing Monday - Friday (weather permitting). Getting to the mountain probably around 9:00 - 9:30 am at the latest, possibility for even earlier start looking good too, since we'll be staying just a few miles away from the resort.
What time does SR start spinning lifts? 8:30?

Also, what's the best way to navigate the area so we can avoid lines? If I park at White Cap lot, would it be best to get to the western peaks (Aurora, OZ, Jordan) ASAP and ski there for a couple of hours as the crowd fills in or does it really matter on weekdays?

machski

If you are using your car as a lodge, consider parking along RoadRunner on Barker Mountain Road. You can ski to/from your car all day long. If you are skiing on the President's week then 9-930 for any close in parking could be iffy since lifts start at 8am. Any other midweek period this would usually work.

Edd

If you are using your car as a lodge, consider parking along RoadRunner on Barker Mountain Road. You can ski to/from your car all day long. If you are skiing on the President's week then 9-930 for any close in parking could be iffy since lifts start at 8am. Any other midweek period this would usually work.
That's good, never done that. But, I've never used my car as a lodge at SR. Haven't been since before Covid. To be clear, parking is permitted on the side of that road?

darent

white cap lodge and parking, never really crowded mid week unless it's a holiday or school vacation

Bumpsis

Thank you all for input - much appreciated. Heading out tomorrow and looking forward to a few days of burning up my quads...

machski

That's good, never done that. But, I've never used my car as a lodge at SR. Haven't been since before Covid. To be clear, parking is permitted on the side of that road?
Yes, in many areas, they actually plow it out for that. Trailside only and DO NOT park where posted no parking.

The previous White Cap comment is valid except on Fridays now. Friday has been getting much busier and this past Friday White Cap filled up completely.

kbroderick

Yes, in many areas, they actually plow it out for that. Trailside only and DO NOT park where posted no parking.

...and make sure you take your vehicle and tires into consideration. I've seen more than one person stuck because they parked in a spot with questionable surface conditions.

Bumpsis

Just a quick report on parking and ski conditions at SR: Great advice on White Cap parking. Just a few car out there today (Tuesday) while other lots were quite busy. Indeed, just a short walk to the lift. I just hate the shlep in ski boots, but at least this one was short.
Conditions on the mountain: groomer heaven. Trails that had snow making/ grooming were just great. Natural snow - crappy conditions.
Again, thanks for the advice. Having a nice time at SR.