• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Timberline lodge

thebigo

Back when I was a young engineer working the Colombia River gorge dams, drove up to timberline several times. Cool place, hiked around but could never line up a ski day.

Thinking next April vacation rather than our standard week at k. Girls will be 6 and 10.

Has anyone ever done a family vacation at the lodge?

One of my best memories is a week at the Peruvian with dad when I was around ten, hoping for a similar experience.

Last edited:

jaytrem

I have not taken my family there, but this guy did...

jack-nicholson-dans-the-shining.jpg

Vortex

I made a trip late season to Timberline last year. Going again 3rd week of May. They have a great late Season Pass. $237 I think this year.
For the price of Two days of Skiing, you can ski from Mid March until Memorial day

Last edited:

drjeff

The thing with April and Timberline Lodge is that it can be very isolated if a storm rolls in, and the Palmer Chair, up to the snowfields isn't running for the Summer season yet. They do have cat skiing access up on Palmer weather permitting though.

If you want to take them to Timberline at that time of the year, then staying down by the base in Government Camp, might be a better option, as there is a little more to do in Govie when the lifts aren't spinning at the end of the day

ThatGuy

Was just going to make a thread about this myself. Ill be driving right by Mt. Hood in mid June is Timberline worth a stop for a few hours? Do they have rentals at that point in the season or would I have to bring along my skis?

thebigo

I made a trip late season to Timberline last year. Going again 3rd week of May. They have a great late Season Pass. $237 I think this year.
For the price of Two days of Skiing, you can ski from Mid March until Memorial day
Where are you staying? Renting a car or taking a shuttle?

Cheap spring pass and direct flights are big factors.

Domeskier

Do you have to attend one of the camps to ski the bumps up on the glacier?

2Planker

Back when I was a young engineer working the Colombia River gorge dams, drove up to timberline several times. Cool place, hiked around but could never line up a ski day.

Thinking next April vacation rather than our standard week at k. Girls will be 6 and 10.

Has anyone ever done a family vacation at the lodge?

One of my best memories is a week at the Peruvian with dad when I was around ten, hoping for a similar experience.
Lived in Hood River, had a free HM Pass. Went every year. Great Place

Vortex

Where are you staying? Renting a car or taking a shuttle?

Cheap spring pass and direct flights are big factors.
I rented a house ten minutes away. Flying out of Bean town to Portland 1.5 hours to Timberline. Last year I rented a car. big money. One of my kids lives out there so tagging along with them, no car. A little more money, I just decided to stay over and not day trip, trading car rental for lodging dollar wise.. Flights were expensive compared to last year. $800 maybe round trip. It can be done much cheaper than i did it, just cramming as much as I can in in a short period of time

2planks2coasts

It's fun to say you're skiing in the summer, but the snowfield terrain is nothing special. Honestly, while the lodge is awesome, Timberline as a ski area is the third best on the mountain, having earned the nickname Timberflats. There's potential for some really long runs now inbounds with the Summit expansion though.

Vortex

It's fun to say you're skiing in the summer, but the snowfield terrain is nothing special. Honestly, while the lodge is awesome, Timberline as a ski area is the third best on the mountain, having earned the nickname Timberflats. There's potential for some really long runs now inbounds with the Summit expansion though.
We did meadows a year ago and I liked that. We did that in January.
Timberline
You pop out just to the right of main terrain at Timberline and it is wide open and fun. Seen recent pictures, they have got allot of snow recently. Mid station up has a decent wide open pitch. It is pretty basic, but fun for late Season.