• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain

jerryg

Yeah, this is the fourth owner at least since 1997 or so......

And who can forget that one set of prior owners (The Egans?) brought in the big trailer that could make snow in any temps.
Kind of a fun gimmick, but at the end of the days, a couple days of opening in the summer doesn't pay the bills...

jaytrem

And who can forget that one set of prior owners (The Egans?) brought in the big trailer that could make snow in any temps.
Kind of a fun gimmick, but at the end of the days, a couple days of opening in the summer doesn't pay the bills...
They still use the "SnowMagic" machines down in Tennessee. Went there last year and the skiing was much better than expected. Decent steepness with lots of soft bumps.

Mini write up on the SnowMagic machines...

jerryg

They still use the "SnowMagic" machines down in Tennessee. Went there last year and the skiing was much better than expected. Decent steepness with lots of soft bumps.

Mini write up on the SnowMagic machines...

Did Gatlinburg just use it to supplement other snowmaking? Was it during their season that you skied there? I've always wanted to ski there for some reason. Probably just cause of the tram. lol

jaytrem

Did Gatlinburg just use it to supplement other snowmaking? Was it during their season that you skied there? I've always wanted to ski there for some reason. Probably just cause of the tram. lol
I think they mainly use it for tubing. Most of the snowmaking is the regular type. Skied there in March. A friend of mine did the summer platic skiing back when they had it. Didn't take the tram last year, but have in the summer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, the infamous Japanese Snow. They opened a few days in July 2003 or so IIRC.

jerryg

I think they mainly use it for tubing. Most of the snowmaking is the regular type. Skied there in March. A friend of mine did the summer platic skiing back when they had it. Didn't take the tram last year, but have in the summer.

That's awesome. I lived in the UK in the 90s and used to ski the plastic now and again. Definitely got some black and blue from falling on that stuff! Haha

jerryg

There is a place in VA that has that, I think it's the water sprayed variety. Night skiing on that too.
I think That's Liberty University and it looks like they have a really nice set up. That surface is likely Dentex, which the Scottish call, "The Toothbrush," ergo, try to lay an edge and you're going down hard! lol The sprinklers are on at various times of the day depending on the humidity. There was a small place in East London that would turn the sprinklers on while people were skiing. That was weird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think That's Liberty University and it looks like they have a really nice set up. That surface is likely Dentex, which the Scottish call, "The Toothbrush," ergo, try to lay an edge and you're going down hard! lol The sprinklers are on at various times of the day depending on the humidity. There was a small place in East London that would turn the sprinklers on while people were skiing. That was weird.
Yeah, I've done dry skiing in Scotland. It sucks if you fall on the stiffer brush mats that they use (newer places have better turf). And the spraying water is weird. It is not as satisfying as a powder day. A water day?

thetrailboss

Staff member

IceEidolon

Assuming someone competent is calling the shots and there's enough money+water for a minimum viable product (none of which can be taken on faith) what infrastructure work has to be done in order to open successfully for the season?

Edit: Apparently they have 200 psi ~1000 GPM at least to the top of the Eclipse lift, per a comment on their FB page. Given that's already there, if they can get 2000-2500 CFM to run 20-25 Impulse sleds and maybe a Ratnik at the summit, they can at least have their smaller lift turning by Christmas in an average year. I believe they also have some 480v around the base ond on the surface lift - a portable fan or three could do a lot too.

I can't see a way to get enough fixed guns ordered, delivered, and installed to make much difference - a couple at intersections or wide/steep spots, maybe.

They've already said they have a crew coming in to mow, and I believe most trails with coverage are mostly in good shape as far as pipe and hydrants go - limited coverage, but they fixed most of what they had last time. Likewise the lifts seem to be in decent shape from the little we've seen.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Yep, same old Hornet double and Eclipse triple.

I did some noodling around on Google Maps - looks like ~3500' give or take of trail to get Eclipse spinning, then something like 1000-2000' per additional trail segment. That's roughly comparable to Magic green lift in terms of area to cover for one route down, available water, etc. and Magic was spinning Green with Vertigo and LMC pretty early last season. If Tenney actually has pumps and pipe and low E guns ready to go they could make something happen - hopefully they just do normal industry standard things this time.

Newpylong

The biggest issue since I saw the system a few years back are those diesels... They lost their grandfather when the mountain shut down and they aren't certified to run by DES without pollution control systems (not feasible to install). He's been mum every time I've asked.

That pumphouse is an absolute nightmare and needs be ripped out and replaced with a new electric Torrent (or eq) skid with simplified controls.

slatham

The comparison to Magic stops at the acreage involved. Recall that Magic refurbished the pond pump, both pump house pumps, added Variable Frequency Drives to the pump house pumps, bought 2 new electric compressors, bought a fleet of modern HKD guns, and of course fixed all the pipe. I think Tenney has a lot of work to do.

CrazyFingers

I root for this place, I really do. I just have a hard time trusting someone who calls himself Sir Michael. With a heavy Boston accent to boot. I’ll show myself out.

2planks2coasts

I root for this place, I really do. I just have a hard time trusting someone who calls himself Sir Michael. With a heavy Boston accent to boot. I’ll show myself out.

Well, he is a Knight of The Sovereign Military Order of Malta. The title's legit, even if it seems a bit silly. My issue is the decision to close 20-21 and miss the silverest of all possible linings to the Covid cloud. A record breaking year for NH resorts as EVERYONE wanted to play outside and Vermont wasn't letting people in.

IceEidolon

As I recall he's short compressors but not pumps - there was limited snowmaking on both the tubing and main hills in the last few years, possibly with rental compressors. They've got a couple million gallons of water though it doesn't recharge as well as Magic's. Assuming that the main pumps are online they have the same GPM on Eclipse trails as Magic does running both loops combined.

Compared to Magic, Tenney is short
1. Compressors - Magic has 5000 CFM of electric air, Tenney is stuck renting and maybe also paying for offroad diesel. I expect they can get rentals if they're willing to pay for it.
2. Pump VFDs - Convenient for the crew, but this should show up in the power bill rather than in output.
3. Modern HKDs - Magic has around sixteen portable HKDs, plus around 50-60 towers. Often they're split between HKDs and air hogs because anything above Trick or Talisman is too low pressure for HKDs, and because Green Lift has exactly one permanent HKD tower so they run Rats to use up the rest of the air. Tenney could match Magic's Green Lift low E fleet for ~$160k assuming they order soon enough.
4. Pipe - Tenney had gotten their snowmaking system working enough to run part of the Eclipse pod at least, and they have at pipe for repairs on site. They had more terrain covered than Magic when both systems were fully functional (claimed 70% versus 90%) and both trail pods have abandoned lines and lines without snowmaking.

Tenney's for sure not in as good a shape as Magic overall, but they can order HKDs, rent 5000 cfm of air, and get two routes off the Eclipse pressure tested and mowed for this season. Talisman and Sorcerer and Trick and Upper Carpet and Medium have the Impulse towers that give Magic a snowmaking edge, and Black plus Red easily beat Hornet for uphill capacity and redundancy to the summit. Green Lift terrain at Magic is really hamstrung in marginal by not having fixed towers or more sleds.

AdironRider

After the past 4 years saying Magic’s lifts are in any way a plus for them seems laughable.