• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

thetrailboss

Staff member
I suspect that has far more to do with the fact SLC has way more of the infrastructure, the facilities & shelters, the volunteers, the mental health professionals, and god knows what else, than say (______) <--- insert literally any other place in Utah.
That is a factor, but we don't have a lot of shelter beds. SLC allowed developers to tear that building down and they are (slowly) replacing that bed base.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Without that gondy, the only "solution" I can see is restricting access & capping skier visits, but that's not really a solution, it's a cop-out, and one which will significantly impair Utah's economy given how critical winter visits are.
Add more busses, require parking reservations, and cap capacity. It just can't handle the crowds.

I went to Snowbird this morning for a Tram ride. In 2012 I went up there in the summer almost weekly and it was always dead. Plenty of parking, no cars, and maybe a couple cars on the side of the road at the hiking trailheads. Today there were probably 100+ cars on the side of the road at White Pine Trailhead, cars here and there for climbing, and already a lot of folks at Snowbird before it even opened. If the gondola existed it would not be operating today because it is winter only. How does that make sense?

BenedictGomez

Maybe a tax funded gondola really is a better option?

They've all but said they're going to put tollbooths on the canyon, which is a form of a tax. I imagine Alta/Snowbird must do ballpark a million days a year give or take. Along with the resorts paying X millions upfront to have skin-in-the-game, you could temporarily take a few bucks per every visit, a few bucks from every car parked, 2% of every restaurant check, etc.... as well. This would take years, but conceptually is the same as the tollbooths constructed to pay for roads in Jersey, the difference being of course in Jersey the politicians lied (shocking) and never removed the tolls even once the roads were long paid for.

BenedictGomez

I went to Snowbird this morning for a Tram ride. In 2012 I went up there in the summer almost weekly and it was always dead. Plenty of parking, no cars, and maybe a couple cars on the side of the road at the hiking trailheads. Today there were probably 100+ cars on the side of the road at White Pine Trailhead, cars here and there for climbing, and already a lot of folks at Snowbird before it even opened. If the gondola existed it would not be operating today because it is winter only. How does that make sense?

Isn't it an Oktoberfest weekend at Snowbird right now? I did Oktoberfest at Snowbird in 2018 and it was an absolutely ****show it was so packed. So I'm not sure today is a great comp for an "everyday weekend" up there to say it's "dead" or not, though I suppose the argument could be made that crowds are crowds whatever the cause. But that Snowbird Oktoberfest thing is just too well-loved to the point it (IMHO) impairs enjoyability somewhat.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Isn't it an Oktoberfest weekend at Snowbird right now? I did Oktoberfest at Snowbird in 2018 and it was an absolutely ****show it was so packed. So I'm not sure today is a great comp for an "everyday weekend" up there to say it's "dead" or not, though I suppose the argument could be made that crowds are crowds whatever the cause. But that Snowbird Oktoberfest thing is just too well-loved to the point it (IMHO) impairs enjoyability somewhat.

Yeah today I went up/over Guardsman pass with the lady. We were smart and went through Provo canyon and up/over Guardsman spilling into BCC. Road construction has been causing an alternating one-way road in BCC this summer. The line of cars waiting to go up where the traffic light was was probably 1/2 to 3/4ths of a mile long!

I've quickly found the traffic in LCC/BCC in the summer can be almost as bad as the winter!

thetrailboss

Staff member

And of particular interest:

Sen. Jani Iwamoto, D-Holladay, had concerns about water quality and whether this was another way of rebooting "Ski Link," a controversial plan to link ski resorts together with trams.

UDOT officials insisted the project would not harm water quality and the gondola was focused on Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Vter

Sounds like the Stowe of the West…I’ve given up, it sucks too bad to deal with.

I’m back to the smaller places now, I feel sorry for the Crew out in Aspen, JH, the Bird, PC, W/B ect it’s just a PITA now. The Resorts have changed bigtime (nothing you don’t know) but it’s just not Fun
anymore ! I’m been midweek at a smaller place now, for years. I can’t stand what corporate power has done to this sport (activity). Back East it’s a ridiculous Rich Man’s BJ. Ski-Bum ? Ya right ! If you bust your balls 2 shifts you might get a few runs in a week. It’s disgusting !

Price the small income fools out, there are plenty of upper to pay for the “thrill”. What thrill anymore…
Mega Resorts Suck !

“Fast lifts” started the problem way back when, IMHO

Powder ? It’s skies out in 2 hours, thank god I enjoy crud bust’n chop almost as much.

Peace out…snow is coming, ENJOY, Bros & Sistas !

Vter

Ya, Ok Krusty
I’ll try to not put you to sleep next time.
Your everything that makes my life wonderful and why I don’t live in your shithole. Keep your attitude & SUV as far away from my Plow Truck as possible.
Oh, that’s right…you don’t want me parking in your precious parking spot !!!! After plowing since 3:00 am so you can get “1st chair” to do the “Front 4 “ AH
Spend A Buck, City Slicker…see ya never on the hill or Notch either side. I feel sorry for you, cause you’ll never, ever, Really know these Hills

skiur

Ya, Ok Krusty
I’ll try to not put you to sleep next time.
Your everything that makes my life wonderful and why I don’t live in your shithole. Keep your attitude & SUV as far away from my Plow Truck as possible.
Oh, that’s right…you don’t want me parking in your precious parking spot !!!! After plowing since 3:00 am so you can get “1st chair” to do the “Front 4 “ AH
Spend A Buck, City Slicker…see ya never on the hill or Notch either side. I feel sorry for you, cause you’ll never, ever, Really know these Hills

Wow, you are cool!

Vter

“Thanks for all the hard work you do to make our vacation time more pleasurable” is the Cool Response !

People walk over to me at the $ gas Diesel station and ask me how would I like my coffee and roll.

I get it All the Time, with smiles, claps and treats…but maybe not from you(s). Kisses, hugs and smiles and a little cash is the usual.
Sometimes too much of the above and I say so. The kisses and hugs well, I’ll take it.

Just tell me who you are the next time I “shovel & chain out” your ride to or from the hill. I remember one Dude, like yourself, who On a powder morning wiped out & ditched it by “Barts”… I crawled under his OOS car chained it up, shoveled and sweated so he could make the hill. Yup, I had to ask for for a little “breakfast money” …his response “I only have cards man, follow-me up the Road and I’ll buy you a breakfast sandwich”
I don’t want your Sandwich, Man !!!

Other people I’ve pulled out are so so cool and appreciative. I think you guys are the former…next time it’s $50 bucks or wait 2-3 hours for AAA.

Signed,
Your sexy plow guy who Rips

raisingarizona

Sexy plow guy?

What exactly are we talking about here?

Snow removal or fixing the cable?

djd66

“I only have cards man, follow-me up the Road and I’ll buy you a breakfast sandwich”
I would suggest you get Venmo. Personally, I don't carry cash anymore. If someone were to pull me out in the situation you describe - it definitely would not be a breakfast sandwich - would be more like a Benjamin

skiur

“Thanks for all the hard work you do to make our vacation time more pleasurable” is the Cool Response !

People walk over to me at the $ gas Diesel station and ask me how would I like my coffee and roll.

I get it All the Time, with smiles, claps and treats…but maybe not from you(s). Kisses, hugs and smiles and a little cash is the usual.
Sometimes too much of the above and I say so. The kisses and hugs well, I’ll take it.

Just tell me who you are the next time I “shovel & chain out” your ride to or from the hill. I remember one Dude, like yourself, who On a powder morning wiped out & ditched it by “Barts”… I crawled under his OOS car chained it up, shoveled and sweated so he could make the hill. Yup, I had to ask for for a little “breakfast money” …his response “I only have cards man, follow-me up the Road and I’ll buy you a breakfast sandwich”

Other people I’ve pulled out are so so cool and appreciative. I think you guys are the former…next time it’s $50 bucks or wait 2-3 hours for AAA.

Signed,
Your sexy plow guy who Rips
Do you volunteer for this plowing or do you get paid for it? If your not getting paid for it then yes you are doing something great and I thank you. If your getting paid then you are just doing your job.

Hawk

I can understand Vter's frustrations with the industry. The new pass structure has changed everything. Even at sugarbush.
It's just how he comes off with his his bravado. I'm not sure if he is just playing it up to get people going or he is actually that over the top. Either way I don't get the upset anymore because I can afford the game. But I was always a working stiff that cut corners and scapped for the coin to go skiing. I have worked at the hill, scammed day tickets, fake college pass, skinned to the upper lifts, every trick in the book. Now that I have good stability I just pay and go. $1,200 at 60 days is $20 a day. Not that expensive to me. But There will always be the very wealthy that pay for the extra benefits and piss off the locals and the more frugal people.

I guess in the end, it is what it is. Skiing is a privilage and not a right and it is bankrolled by very wealth owners. Sucks to be us I guess.

djd66

Personally, I really do not get the complaint about skiing being too (or more) expensive now. Its cheaper now than it has ever been - isn't that what everyone is complaining about - passes being too cheap?