• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

icecoast1

Gas taxes don't actually charge the people causing wear and tear on roads and highways. If you want true fairness, road useage should be paid by some combination of mileage traveled and vehicle weight per tire. Commercial trucking does the vast majority of wear and tear (that isn't weather or aging) on roads and that isn't currently reflected in their gas tax, useage fees, etc. Personally I'm not a fan of subsidizing Swift and Amazon and all the other trucking companies with my tax dollars (especially since gas tax doesn't cover all road maintenance and upkeep, generally).
Driving up the cost of transporting goods even further doesn't seem like the best thing to do during sky high inflation.

abc

Discussions about skiing in Maine are irrelevant to me, but I don't object to their being here.
I never said I object to the discussion. Only that it’s about as relevant as a room full of men discussing pregnancy! Entertaining alright, but irrelevant.

I am interested in developments in EV infrastructure and technology that could one day make them viable for me, though they are not at present.
Your interest is admirable, but not practical at the present time. One day, yes. But that day is not now.

Why did we go to the moon instead of the Mars? Both are hard. But one is considerably achievable than the other.

When 1/2 of the 2nd cars of all the families are EV, you bet there will be all sort of charging options sprung up all over the place to allow them to drive just a little bit over their 1-charge range. That’s the time to mandate all new cars to be EV only. Before that, it’s putting the carts before the horses.

Insisting EV to have long ranges before there’re enough of them to “populate” all over the road needing charging is just a waste of money. But hey, when did good logic ever stop high and mighty political rhetorics?

“One day”, we’ll all be driving EVs. But how to get to that day? There’re easy ways. There’re hard ways...

IceEidolon

Driving up the cost of transporting goods even further doesn't seem like the best thing to do during sky high inflation.
I'll chalk one up in favor of giving taxpayer money to trucking companies.

I figure long term distorting shipping prices around public subsidy, to the potential disadvantage of other forms of manufacturing and business, is not good for a supposedly free market economy.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I'll chalk one up in favor of giving taxpayer money to trucking companies.

I figure long term distorting shipping prices around public subsidy, to the potential disadvantage of other forms of manufacturing and business, is not good for a supposedly free market economy.
What is free market about any of the EV agenda? It's chock full of subsidies. Subsidies encourage malinvestment or plainly throwing good money after bad.

kbroderick

What is free market about any of the EV agenda? It's chock full of subsidies. Subsidies encourage malinvestment or plainly throwing good money after bad.
They can do that. They can also encourage investments that support a public good that is otherwise not economically rewarded, or that isn't rewarded in proportion to the common good associated with them.

I'm pretty sure the government subsidizes most forms of transportation at this point, in both direct (e.g. FAA airport improvement grants and federal highway spending) and indirect (e.g. foreign policy that favors access to oil).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This was my thought for a long time. Dealer gave me 3 pre-paid oil changes/tire rotations when I got the car. Used them up. Asked for ha-has what it would cost for 3 more pre-paids. $180 and it's full synthetic. $60 a pop. A bit less than the mom/pop shop near me. Save a few bucks plus the ridiculous setups they have in dealer waiting rooms now (gone are the days of piss-awful coffee and crappy magazines) hard to go wrong.

Follow up on this...

Dealer said I need new rear pads when I got my last prepaid oil change. Next oil change I did with my mechanic he said the same thing. Mechanic quoted me $250 for pads/re-surface rotors. Dealer is $250 as well but there's a 10% off coupon. Called a couple other places who ranged $230-$300. Dealer=win

skiur

I haven't heard of cutting rotors in 20 years, it used to be normal practice but not anymore.

cdskier

I haven't heard of cutting rotors in 20 years, it used to be normal practice but not anymore.

Depends on the vehicle...my old truck had pretty beefy brakes and rotors and you could resurface them (that was an 07 Avalanche). My current truck has much smaller rotors and brakes and you're better off just replacing the rotors.

jimmywilson69

yeah my mechanic told me that the newer lighter weight rotors don't have much surface to re-cut. Plus there aren't many people that do it anymore and its cheaper to put new ones on.

bigbob

Rotors where hard to get for awhile, the new toliet paper! I don't know if the supply chain has improved, but car parts are still in short supply depending on application.

zyk

Rotors where hard to get for awhile, the new toliet paper! I don't know if the supply chain has improved, but car parts are still in short supply depending on application.

I have two cars which need parts that are unavailable. One can't pass inspection...

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

They can do that. They can also encourage investments that support a public good that is otherwise not economically rewarded, or that isn't rewarded in proportion to the common good associated with them.

I'm pretty sure the government subsidizes most forms of transportation at this point, in both direct (e.g. FAA airport improvement grants and federal highway spending) and indirect (e.g. foreign policy that favors access to oil).
Please tell me what gas, not hybrid, powered cars qualify for a subsidy?

drjeff

Denali's are REALLY nice. I have a Yukon XL Denali. Drives like a dream.
I've got an Acadia Denali and love it. Been driving GMC's as my primary ride now for 20yrs.

Current car Quiver in the household is a 2016 Acadia (my sons car) a 2018 Audi Q7 Tdi Diesel (my daughters car) a 2020 Acadia Denali (when it went to the midsized version - my car) and a 2022 Volvo XC90 hybrid (my wife's car) My family jokingly refers to my Acadia Denali as "the clown car" since it's the smallest one in the driveway when all 4 vehicles are at our house! 🤣🤣

cdskier

I drive a GMC (and Chevy trucks prior to my current GMC)...but I just see no point in spending money on the Denali versions. There's no features the Denali version has that I care about so it doesn't make sense to spend an extra $4-8k for the Denali version of the Canyon or Sierra for me. I also can't stand the way 20" low profile tires look on a truck. I'd rather have the 17" rims and have the higher profile of the tire itself.