• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky intel?

Tonyr

A friend of a friend works there and Brady yelled at him over ski school!

Hawk

There are many Sugarbush people that relocated there. I have been 3 times. It is great. IF you are fit, hike the head waters for some really serious terrain. Adler gultch or cold Spring. Past that gets real serious. Not many people venture out there. Probably too early for most of the real serious terrain but there should be plenty to keep you busy. I will also add Big Rock touge. Pinnicles is good like in the picture from Jim. Laps on Thunderwolf and Ramcharger lifts are fast and fun. There is a whole world up off the tram to do. Depends on how the snow fills in . Again it is really early. Go from the top all the way down to Dakota life. it is like 3000 vert.

At least 5 people mentioned the Sharks Teeth rocks. They are everywhere. Had a friend get seriously hurt on our first trip because he just went where no one did before. Be real careful. This mountain is like no other when it comes to that.

Was at BS last February.

One of the top 2 or 3 western trips I've ever taken. We were fortunate enough to stay at the Summit at the base and were spoiled the entire week. The trip was part of a ski club trip so we were significantly discounted in order to stay there as the rates are ridiculous, otherwise wouldn't have chosen such an expensive property but it worked out great.

Although the snow conditions weren't the best, we skied our asses off for 5 days straight. Challenger lift offers lots of advanced terrain and I was surprised to hear Hawk mention BRT (Big Rock Tongue) as it's not really on the map, but so visible from the Challenger lift and can be skied various ways, from the far skiers left chute to easier skiers right headwall. Either way, the exposure on the face is pretty wild.

Lifts out of the base are ideal. Head up Ramcharger and ski Adesite, take Swift Current and head to Powderseeker and Tram/Challenger/Moonlight Basin terrain. No way to lose here. As a matter of fact, our second to last day, decided to head towards the remote Lone Wolf chair, (old fashion triple I think w/o a safety bar) and skied 4 or 5 runs in 6 inches of untracked because nobody goes there!!!

The tram is a must do, but pick your day and weather. Tram prices will adjusted dynamically but just do it. Get it added to your pass the night before and just go. Skied 5 runs off the top and yes, you always need to be aware of the screee, it's a world of adventure up there with Lennin/Marx and Liberty Bowl as the more obvious trails. But get into the Gullies (which are listed as triple black) will bring you back down to the top of Powederseeker Chair and thus the route back to the tram. If you venture towards Liberty Bowl (which certainly is well worth it) it's a bit of a slog from Dakota or Shedhorn back toward the tram area, but very much worth it.

Headwaters is a dramatic chair, but unfortunately there wasn't enough snow for terrain to be open while I was there. It's a fun ride, but if you can't ski the terrain, the top drops you into the Challenger area.

Mountain is huge and beautiful. Not a ton at the base, but go to ScissorBills. Trust me, it's a locals place, fun and does the job.

Hope your trip is everything you expect. Enjoy!

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Mods if this isn't cool feel free to delete.

One of the guys in our forum, Ripitz, started in with a primer of sorts on Big Sky, in a thread about "Fixed Grip vs Detachables." Rip lived at BS for a few years.

I broke it out into it's own thread:

Some good info and nice pics.

JimG.

Staff member
I live near Rip and ski with him at Belleayre occasionally. His trip reports and photos are legendary.

skiur

This will not upset the mods,... you pretty much can say you want someone dead on here without upsetting the mods.

Nobody is forcing you to keep coming back if you are so upset with how this place is run.

KustyTheKlown

Why are you white knighting for a right wing troll who contributed nothing to the ski conversation and was a little whiny bitch when I trolled him back? Get over it.

BRT is definitely on the map. Or was when I was there in 2020. And still is.
You are absolutely correct. Don't know why I thought it wasn't. I went back through BS trail maps (via skimap.org) and it's been on their map since 1984!

Perhaps it was my challenge in trying to get to the chute I skied as it took me 3 tries as I kept on coming in too high. By looking back through the maps the chute is actually named Todd's Hole and is on Big Rock Tongue North. Still one of my top memories from a weeklong trip.

crank

Memories from a great powder morning at Big Sky...

We had been there all week getting 6", 4", 8", something every night. Then Friday morning, our last, day a solid foot! We headed straight up to the Turkey Bowl for 1 run and got some fresh stacks there. Then headed over to Challenger for 3 or 4 runs, no line. Fresh tracks every run. Our last ride up, the line was starting to build, we looked behind us and everyone had caught up and there was a solid 5-10 minute line growing rapidly.

On to Headwaters for some chutes and in those chutes the snow had collected mightily - closer to 2' than 1. We skied there until exhausted and made our way to the yurt at the bottom of Moonlight for lunch. Took it easier in the afternoon exploring trees on Moonlight side. That was our last day at Big Sky 4 or 5 season's back. Time to get back!