• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon South Peak Expansion

machski

I j
Yes if you look at satellite images you can see several chutes. I believe these are called the "Pine Chutes" but I could be wrong as I don't ski Loon often.
I just called them the North fingers, there were about 4 or 5 lines that were fairly tight and straight.
At least it's not likely to be TechnoAlpin!

The Klik system is really slick, and I'm a fan of using industry standard control components over proprietary hardware even if there's a size or initial purchase cost penalty. There's definitely an argument to be made that manual Klik is good enough, though. I'd be curious why they haven't stuck with Klik.
Loon most definitely has on the main mountain, the manual Kliks are everywhere there now except maybe North Peak/East Basin. They haven't started to convert from traditional hydrants to Klik on South, perhaps they will start after this new pod goes in. Can't imagine they want to just open that area disconnected from the main mountain. Would make sense to semi-automate some of South at least.

machski

Undercut showed up in the forest service projects:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=62386&exp=overview
Well, damn. It is fun but again, often the last glade to open and first to close. Might as well change it to a snowmaking covered trail. Still too much pitch to make that the green route off the top of South, will be interesting to see if they put that through for approval at some point. Undercut was outside the permit for the lower pod this why they have to apply and seek approval to convert it from glade to fully managed trail.

bigbob

i've always eyed a few potential entrances on sunset off to the right before it bends.
I think years back there was a legal glade between the chair off load and where Sunset opens up. It must of dumped out on Haulback.Loon was pretty empty today with 130 acres open, no lines.

thebigo

I think years back there was a legal glade between the chair off load and where Sunset opens up. It must of dumped out on Haulback.Loon was pretty empty today with 130 acres open, no lines.
Thought today was best of the year. Walking boss was in great shape, same with sunset. Speakeasy was decent and a nice addition. The trails to the skiers left of the 8 were boilerplate but plenty of other options. Even blue ox and lower picked were fun. Have limited time tomorrow, going to ski ragged but looking forward to a couple more days at loon later this week.

Is there any required public record for load tests? Would like to watch if i can time it right.
20221212_101411.jpg20221212_100301.jpg

Last edited:
Just back from 2 days at Loon. Upper Flume and Brookway opened today so easier access back to gondola and another expert run.

Not a Loon regular, but we had two great days! Lots of terrain open considering the lack of snow, but their snowmaking volumes continue to impress. A couple of 30k vertical days under my belt and looking forward to improving snow conditions over the next couple of weeks for the northeast!

Granite1

Just back from 2 days at Loon. Upper Flume and Brookway opened today so easier access back to gondola and another expert run.

Not a Loon regular, but we had two great days! Lots of terrain open considering the lack of snow, but their snowmaking volumes continue to impress. A couple of 30k vertical days under my belt and looking forward to improving snow conditions over the next couple of weeks for the northeast!
Loon is about the best ski area in the east to rack up vertical mid week. If South Peak had been open, you could've topped 40K.

KustyTheKlown

EDBA9DDC-C71D-4D61-A304-ACFBA01D2E7A.png

You don’t need midweek or south peak to score 40k at loon. You need to show up early, ride the singles line, be in halfway decent shape, and just fucking ski with no bullshit. Would have been 50k if the World Cup wasn’t on at 2 pm. can you even believe such efficiencies were achieved while completely stoned on pot!

thebigo

View attachment 55298

You don’t need midweek or south peak to score 40k at loon. You need to show up early, ride the singles line, be in halfway decent shape, and just fucking ski with no bullshit. Would have been 50k if the World Cup wasn’t on at 2 pm. can you even believe such efficiencies were achieved while completely stoned on pot!
And sharp edges.

KustyTheKlown

definitely. the brand new fischers have been coming in handy. but i hope to take the mangled black crows out to play this weekend.

snoseek

Loon is about the best ski area in the east to rack up vertical mid week. If South Peak had been open, you could've topped 40K.
I'll give that one to wildcat but loon on a midweek day is a fun time and those lifts crank.

I dare anyone to lap that wildcat quad bell to bell with a normal couple of short breaks. I'm happy if I can make it from open till 2

thebigo

I'll give that one to wildcat but loon on a midweek day is a fun time and those lifts crank.

I dare anyone to lap that wildcat quad bell to bell with a normal couple of short breaks. I'm happy if I can make it from open till 2
Back before vail sabotaged wildcat, I used to shoot for 20 runs. Closest I got was around 18 but always had to cut out to get kids. Damn I miss the kitty, those assholes cannot go out of business soon enough.

snoseek

Back before vail sabotaged wildcat, I used to shoot for 20 runs. Closest I got was around 18 but always had to cut out to get kids. Damn I miss the kitty, those assholes cannot go out of business soon enough.
fwiw its been a bit more acceptable this season. Lots of staff floating around getting stuff done...still Vail but lightyears better than last early season. I do wish they would just unload it though.

Granite1

The Forerunner at Stowe has 40K potential, it takes 19 runs. I've done it twice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat is definitely the place to go to rack up vertical. Probably the fastest lift per vertical served with the least amount of terrain run out in the East. There's a reason why the 100k vertical challenge used to be held there

Not sure why anyone really cares about how much vertical they ski in a day though. Pretty nerdy

Edd

Not sure why anyone really cares about how much vertical they ski in a day though. Pretty nerdy
My stats would be frequently embarrassing. Some days the conditions are uninspiring, so I move on. If I can motivate enough to drag my ass and my gear to the mountain and put skis on snow, I’m happy, and I count the day.