• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Keelhauled

Boo hoo. Resort employees need to live too. Poor babies, they're going to have to see--gasp--the poors.

SteezyRob

Brownstar

Sorry...I don't have an issue with this. If the lots around yours are purchased by a single person/developer, so be it. Honestly it will look better with a driveway and new homes around it than it does now. The properties on those surrounding lots have been essentially abandoned for years (and either falling or fell down).

Personally I think it is great that the DRB already approved one phase of the housing plan SB proposed. Shows that SB is willing to work together with the town (unlike Vail that wants everything their way or else they'll threaten to sue).
So what you're saying is fuck the existing homeowner for keeping their property up.

Brownstar

It's a 4 bedroom house and two apartments, how much traffic will there be? Are you also against the larger building proposed for down the street?
It is actually 3 four-bedroom houses, but 2 have been combined into one. Obviously you've never been on the Access Road or Golf Course road on a weekend when traffic to the mountain is backed up to German Flats road. Not opposed to the new building on Rositas old property at all.

cdskier

No, not the homeowner, but I am familiar with the location. The SB proposal will look terrible & have traffic constantly driving through the new "driveway" during peak traffic times.

That location as is looks terrible and has been an eyesore for years. New construction and landscaping there will be a substantial improvement over how it looks today.

So what you're saying is fuck the existing homeowner for keeping their property up.

Not at all, but they also should not be able to unilaterally stop progress around them.

It is actually 3 four-bedroom houses, but 2 have been combined into one. Obviously you've never been on the Access Road or Golf Course road on a weekend when traffic to the mountain is backed up to German Flats road. Not opposed to the new building on Rositas old property at all.

What does weekend traffic have to do with a driveway? Also I can't remember the last time I've seen traffic backed up to Golf Course road (and I drive from LP to ME almost every Saturday).

thetrailboss

Staff member
No, not the homeowner, but I am familiar with the location. The SB proposal will look terrible & have traffic constantly driving through the new "driveway" during peak traffic times.
It's OK if you are. Just seems to me that would be the only one who would have a stake in the situation. It has been way too long since I've been to SB, but if memory serves me right this location is on the Access Road and is in a developed area as it is. The homeowner could always buy the adjoining land from SB if they feel this strongly, but otherwise, the town has approved it and I am not seeing anything blatantly illegal or wrong here.

HowieT2

so you have no issue with the traffic from a 200 unit building but 3 4 bedroom units which are presumably for 3 families is going to cause terrible traffic?
There must be something you're not telling us.

tumbler

Is this the same Roberta that used to own Paradise? I liked it better then when they actually turned the grill on and made food.

djd66

Building 2 brand new homes + landscaping will 100% bring up the property value of the existing home in that lot. As far as increased traffic,.. Really? That's the best you can come up with? The valley needs housing, go ahead and build.

cdskier

I just re-read this. Why exactly would people be driving through that new driveway during peak traffic times anyway? What advantage would there be to turning from the Access Road into a driveway that is maybe 100' or so before Golf Course road to get to the mountain? Are there really that many people using Golf Course road to West Hill Rd to Inferno Rd to bypass Access Road traffic on the handful of days a year that it even potentially backs up that far?

As others have said...there has to be more to you being against this than you're letting on.

Shredmonkey254

I used to rent that house back in the late 70’s/early 80’s. 12 guys packed into that place, had incredible indoor/ outdoor snowball fights through those sliding glass doors and over the deck, just one of the reasons I have never rented our place. Couch flipped over for protection! Two years ago, I stopped by and met the owners who were building an ice bar on the deck and told them my stories. They loved hearing about them!

SnowRock

Have an annual trip coming up with some friends/family and doing sugarbush this year. SB was my first real mountain experience and logged a lot of days on the mountain over the years, but It’s been forever since I’ve been.

We do a Thursday-Sunday to get in a solid weekday day on Friday. Any general recs on game plans to stay ahead of crowds on Saturday?

Also feel like there is a ton more to do then there used to be in the valley… any recs on where to take a bunch of dads that enjoy good beers, food and live music as much as the on snow time?

All good skiers/riders… so no real concerns about terrain. Outside of me though, not as interested in woods.

Edit to add.. trip is not this weekend. First weekend in March. Hoping after hit warm up we get some seasonal temps back.

Last edited:

urungus

Have an annual trip coming up with some friends/family and doing sugarbush this year. SB was my first real mountain experience and logged a lot of days on the mountain over the years, but It’s been forever since I’ve been.

We do a Thursday-Sunday to get in a solid weekday day on Friday. Any general recs on game plans to stay ahead of crowds on Saturday?

Also feel like there is a ton more to do then there used to be in the valley… any recs on where to take a bunch of dads that enjoy good beers, food and live music as much as the on snow time?

All good skiers/riders… so no real concerns about terrain. Outside of me though, not as interested in woods.

Edit to add.. trip is not this weekend. First weekend in March. Hoping after hit warm up we get some seasonal temps back.
Go to Mt Ellen on Saturday