• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

Newpylong

They plan to have all of Jordan open for Day 1. Wishful thinking but if that's the case there will be adequate training space.

The feed up Kansas once tied in at the top of Jordan and the boosters added (both this off-season) will offer them the same capacity over there as the closer pods.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I've been told they plan on opening the Jordan pod out of the gate next year instead of Locke. Using the hotel and food trucks. Seems kinda dumb...
Isnt it the coldest Peak with higher elevation? That makes sense. All they need are portable bathrooms, like they have at Cranmore , who is doing a renovation this year. They were actually nicer than the permanent bathrooms at SR.

machski

They plan to have all of Jordan open for Day 1. Wishful thinking but if that's the case there will be adequate training space.

The feed up Kansas once tied in at the top of Jordan and the boosters added (both this off-season) will offer them the same capacity over there as the closer pods.
Feed is one thing Newpy, but Lolla even running alone takes them a good 4-5 day run at optimal temps to cover with current gun set up (all Impulse towers). That trail is far too wide just for those sticks. Wonder if they are adding SuperPole Cats into the mix on that run, would increase the throw distance substantially and help to fill it in faster. They had also better add some better gravel pack to the Jordan lot, with light traffic that thing is getting super rutty this year. Wouldn't want to see it after tons of traffic early season right now.

machski

I would say if they aren't interested in Locke, Barker would be a decent bet but they likely have low confidence in that lift being certified by late October?
I'm sure Locke is the primary option but not next year with Barker 6 install. If they are planning to run Barker thru at least second weekend of April this year, no way the 6 is ready before Thanksgiving, maybe not even by then. I would assume they don't want any cross traffic or traffic in Barker Basin til they are finished work and at least up to a confident load test.

jimmywilson69

I would think once the lift is up and the cable spliced, they could be skiing in that area. Seemed like Stowe did that this year with their new lift.

bigbob

Start at South Ridge, if temps allow blow the lower trails. If not upload and download on the Chondola and run the spruce peak triple. Total isolated from the Barker lift construction area.

Edit: I just saw Machskis post on the previous page, he beat me to it.

machski

I would think once the lift is up and the cable spliced, they could be skiing in that area. Seemed like Stowe did that this year with their new lift.
Except the base terminal of Barker will also double as a partial storage barn. While it will be swung back away from the lodge and pond a bit more than current, they may want to keep the entire Barker Basin free of guests until all that construction is wrapped up.

machski

Start at South Ridge, if temps allow blow the lower trails. If not upload and download on the Chondola and run the spruce peak triple. Total isolated from the Barker lift construction area.

Edit: I just saw Machskis post on the previous page, he beat me to it.
I agree, and after all, they just upgraded Spruce's Snowmaking arsenal this past off-season. Assuming they finally complete the new guns on Upper Downdraft anyway this off-season.

Newpylong

Feed is one thing Newpy, but Lolla even running alone takes them a good 4-5 day run at optimal temps to cover with current gun set up (all Impulse towers). That trail is far too wide just for those sticks. Wonder if they are adding SuperPole Cats into the mix on that run, would increase the throw distance substantially and help to fill it in faster. They had also better add some better gravel pack to the Jordan lot, with light traffic that thing is getting super rutty this year. Wouldn't want to see it after tons of traffic early season right now.
No gun changes for Lolla, but putting Klik hydrants on the bottom 2/3. BRyan wants to start using those in higher pressure areas for safety.

Not seeing how Lolla is substantially wider than anything else covered by Impulses? It's still going to take a lot of time to open it but they are limited on water volume currently so they can't crank the stages on the guns and put more down. More water will help, still I don't see it is a valid Day 1 option...

Last edited:

Newpylong

I agree, and after all, they just upgraded Spruce's Snowmaking arsenal this past off-season. Assuming they finally complete the new guns on Upper Downdraft anyway this off-season.

So they were completed (with Klik valves) but whoever puts the tower bases in put them too far away from the pipe so the Klik hoses (limited length) couldn't reach. They will be converted to normal valves for next year. The Klik valves were removed for elsewhere.

machski

So they were completed (with Klik valves) but whoever puts the tower bases in put them too far away from the pipe so the Klik hoses (limited length) couldn't reach. They will be converted to normal valves for next year. The Klik valves were removed for elsewhere.
Interesting. They already have the traditional hydrants in place on the new pipe. Mystery solved. And I truly hope the Impulses do not descend any further down the Heat than where they are up top now.

machski

I
No gun changes for Lolla, but putting Klik hydrants on the bottom 2/3. BRyan wants to start using those in higher pressure areas for safety.

Not seeing how Lolla is substantially wider than anything else covered by Impulses? It's still going to take a lot of time to open it but they are limited on water volume currently so they can't crank the stages on the guns and put more down. More water will help, still I don't see it is a valid Day 1 option...
It’s wide and longer than many others, with several directional swings that many other trails don’t contend with for wind direction. As an example, lower AmEx has been in much better shape and width of coverage all season since getting its mix of SuperPole Cats and the impulses than just impulses alone. Probably not since SR7 days has that portion of the trail been so well covered even during the trying weather times. I agree with your day 1 assessment, not going to be an early start unless we get a really deep, prolonged cold snap early on. Would almost need to be of historic depth and length.

KustyTheKlown

im wondering if SR avoids the slop. they're in the blue far longer than points west. could behoove me to drive east from WRJ tmrw instead of north...

machski

Maybe,
im wondering if SR avoids the slop. they're in the blue far longer than points west. could behoove me to drive east from WRJ tmrw instead of north...
Maybe but all the forecasts I saw before I left for work yesterday showed a dash of wet to end the precip. Given how the fronts coming in line up, I don’t think even Loaf or SB will escape without a dash of liquid.

Newpylong

Interesting. They already have the traditional hydrants in place on the new pipe. Mystery solved. And I truly hope the Impulses do not descend any further down the Heat than where they are up top now.
That is certainly a trail I think the 7s should stay.

sull1102

Was chatting with some locals on Barker this week and they mentioned that there was a rumor they might close Barker as early as next Sunday March 26th. Not sure a totally believe that, but I could see them switching over to Locke and keeping the base open while slowly taking apart Barker and sliding towers down to the base.