• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

Andrew B.

Good to know. I would have had true first tracks without 1.5 traversing runs first. Barker > blue trail to spruce > vortex to agony > flying monkey to Jordan. Could have done without the flat blue to spruce
I find #1>Lazy River>#8>witch way>monkey fastest way from Barker to Jordan.
Still takes ~45 so parking out there usually yields and extra run or 3.

Newpylong

So I found out Agony was supposed to be replaced this year with the new lift but they had a ton of problems with the Broadway line this year. So the budget was shifted around and Agony will not see snowmaking again because a Broadway needs to be replaced. But the plan as of now is to replace Agony next off season with a new Valve House up top.

I've seen the new VHs under construction (off site) for both Aurora and Oz for this year. Interestingly the OZ one has blind flanges (capped for future valves) for both Ruby Palace and the backside of OZ - both future expansions.

kbroderick

Skiing down to 2 and across to 8 is faster than 1 to Lazy River, but it obviously involves a lot less skiing.

Granite1

Yes
Park in the lot just below the hotel.
With the new lift it’s become a popular option
Is there any word on building that road from Route 2 in Gilead to access Jordan from the east/Gorham? How much time would that save getting to Sunday River from Gorham?

Andrew B.

Is there any word on building that road from Route 2 in Gilead to access Jordan from the east/Gorham? How much time would that save getting to Sunday River from Gorham?
I have heard those rumors but I have had someone who should know about it tell me it won’t happen “anytime soon”.
The $$$ comes from the south not the west.

Razor

Could never understand why the state of Maine never built a divided highway from the turnpike up into the Rt. 2 corridor. Easier access into the Bethel, Rumford, Farmington, Rangeley region would be am economic boost to some fairly depressed areas.

Levy24

Can't get to Witch Way and Monkey from top of Spruce. That's top of Aurora #12. But you can get to Northern Lights which has 2 ways to Jordan

Granite1

I have heard those rumors but I have had someone who should know about it tell me it won’t happen “anytime soon”.
The $$$ comes from the south not the west.
A lot of people living in parts of the Boston area or anywhere near I93 don't realize it's just as fast, or faster, to Sunday River north on I93 thru Franconia Notch, north on route 3 to Carroll, north on 115 to route 2 through Jefferson to Gorham and into Maine-Sunday River. From where I live near I93 in NH this route is a little farther, but faster than going to the Maine pike and up route 26, because of a higher average speed. I get in my car and drive the entire way to the ski resort without stopping if you hit the one stop light on a green and the second stop light in Gorham is a right on red. See the example from Woburn, you can easily make up that 20 minutes up north on I93. This route is way more scenic too, thru Franconia Notch and across Route 2 with great views of the north side of the Presidentials. Screenshot (511).png

Hawk

My sister lived in Westford and did the 93 route all the time. But if you live east of Woburn and you are leaving any time after 4:00 on a Friday, 93 is a parking lot. it is not the same amount of time. And people on the Maine turnpike dive like its a race. I like that.

Andrew B.

A lot of people living in parts of the Boston area or anywhere near I93 don't realize it's just as fast, or faster, to Sunday River north on I93 thru Franconia Notch, north on route 3 to Carroll, north on 115 to route 2 through Jefferson to Gorham and into Maine-Sunday River. From where I live near I93 in NH this route is a little farther, but faster than going to the Maine pike and up route 26, because of a higher average speed. I get in my car and drive the entire way to the ski resort without stopping if you hit the one stop light on a green and the second stop light in Gorham is a right on red. See the example from Woburn, you can easily make up that 20 minutes up north on I93. This route is way more scenic too, thru Franconia Notch and across Route 2 with great views of the north side of the Presidentials. View attachment 57786
The 95 to 26 route is less likely to see weather delays
The notch can be scary in the wrong weather.

KustyTheKlown

im not great with names generally, especially at places like SR i don't ski often.

i got on the jordan8. some guy asks me how i skied down. i said i started at barker and eventually took vortex to agony and then skied to the monkey glade and the jordan run-out. he told me there is no monkey glade.

ok buddy.

2Planker

A lot of people living in parts of the Boston area or anywhere near I93 don't realize it's just as fast, or faster, to Sunday River north on I93 thru Franconia Notch, north on route 3 to Carroll, north on 115 to route 2 through Jefferson to Gorham and into Maine-Sunday River. From where I live near I93 in NH this route is a little farther, but faster than going to the Maine pike and up route 26, because of a higher average speed. I get in my car and drive the entire way to the ski resort without stopping if you hit the one stop light on a green and the second stop light in Gorham is a right on red. See the example from Woburn, you can easily make up that 20 minutes up north on I93. This route is way more scenic too, thru Franconia Notch and across Route 2 with great views of the north side of the Presidentials. View attachment 57786
Lived in Gilead for years so 93 was the best Rt from Concord MA. That way sucks IF the weather is acting up. The Notch, and Rt 115 are iffy at best.

Prefer 95 then the back way to 302 Then Rt 35. Way less traffic, Dinner at Tut's

darent

was just at sunday river and the monkey glade is alive and well. looked like they cleaned it out abit,was alot easier getting into it than the last time I was there. flying Monkey glade

machski

So I found out Agony was supposed to be replaced this year with the new lift but they had a ton of problems with the Broadway line this year. So the budget was shifted around and Agony will not see snowmaking again because a Broadway needs to be replaced. But the plan as of now is to replace Agony next off season with a new Valve House up top.

I've seen the new VHs under construction (off site) for both Aurora and Oz for this year. Interestingly the OZ one has blind flanges (capped for future valves) for both Ruby Palace and the backside of OZ - both future expansions.
Great on back of Oz expansion, but please God do not add snowmaking to Ruby. It skis fine as a natty. Now, Carumba can get snowmaking now the way the debris is on that trail from the 8 construction. Unless they intend to do a lot of clean up, I welcome snowmaking there. Skied it once this year, just too much jagged rock waiting to wipe out a ton of base material. No fun skiing with that lurking IMHO.

JDMRoma

Great on back of Oz expansion, but please God do not add snowmaking to Ruby. It skis fine as a natty. Now, Carumba can get snowmaking now the way the debris is on that trail from the 8 construction. Unless they intend to do a lot of clean up, I welcome snowmaking there. Skied it once this year, just too much jagged rock waiting to wipe out a ton of base material. No fun skiing with that lurking IMHO.
you could see a lot of rock at the top yesterday but it did look appealing if it ever softened up and it didnt while I was there. Pretty Awesome day tho !

thebigo

By backside of Oz, are we talking about A, B or C?

Most of my SR days are early or late season, have not skied Oz much.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

Hawk

It's the B side that they are developing. C is that valley that heads south down to the airport. Really steep at the top and then really flat the rest of the way down and faces the sun all day.
A is the woods down to Ruby. I hope they don't cut there.

machski

Yup, B is the zone. Someone may have done some housekeeping in A but that whole zone had been decimated by ice and big wind storms last season. Hawk, you would have shed tears, was absolutely unpassable last year.