• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

KustyTheKlown

family ski trip next weekend thurs-sun. my parents, my sisters and their husbands/kids, and my partner and me. very nice airbnb house in winhall. i would really love to steer my fam's a la carte day ticket + rentals + lessons for the kids + food and bev at magic instead of stratton at least for 1 day. looking pretty promising. i also think the scale of magic and the vibe are a lot more fun for everyone than stratton. non skiers have the blt and the deck. the nephews are right in front of the deck. the skiers can all tak the lift together and always wind up back at the same place.

RH29

family ski trip next weekend thurs-sun. my parents, my sisters and their husbands/kids, and my partner and me. very nice airbnb house in winhall. i would really love to steer my fam's a la carte day ticket + rentals + lessons for the kids + food and bev at magic instead of stratton at least for 1 day. looking pretty promising. i also think the scale of magic and the vibe are a lot more fun for everyone than stratton. non skiers have the blt and the deck. the nephews are right in front of the deck. the skiers can all tak the lift together and always wind up back at the same place.
I'm thinking about going to Magic with my passholder friend on Sunday. But I also think the place is going to be absolutely mobbed and natural cover will be thin and skied off to the point where I won't enjoy it. We'll see.

NYDB

No doubt the natural will be thin by Sunday, but probably worth a trip in my opinion.

I’ll let you know how it’s looking tomorrow. I’ll be out for a few hours.

sunday never really crowded unless it’s a pow day or the middle of holiday weekend.

Last edited:

letitsnow1

The sub zero wind chill should keep the crowds down. The base on the natural trails is bulletproof, I don't think there will be any thin cover this weekend

There is a race on Sunday, which typically increases the crowd in the parking lot and lodge. However, they will all be on Showoff when skiing.

JoeB-Z

They are opening plenty of West side trails tomorrow. It was really nice everywhere today. Too cold for me tomorrow. The natural base was holding up at the bottom of Goniff which always gets beat up. I am breaking in a new knee so that was out!

ne_skier

Will be a candidate for best day of the year. As far as I saw 100% open by the end of the day, conditions depended on the trail but overall really good. Zero crowds. Hit all 3 liftlines and Upper Magician, but trail of the day was probably Goniff.

Attachments

• 94F33146-6228-4B07-9FB5-386117220CC8.jpeg
    94F33146-6228-4B07-9FB5-386117220CC8.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 20
  • BFC94992-E4ED-43D8-ACA7-CC7063327BAC.jpeg
    BFC94992-E4ED-43D8-ACA7-CC7063327BAC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

tnt1234

Wow - looks awesome.

Eyeing first or second weekend in feb. for a trip to manchester. Sucks that it rains this week...maybe I should pan on the second weekend to give them more time to recover from this warm up.

slatham

Was lucky to get 2 runs on Up Your Sleeve right after opening. Given pow (6”) vs crust vs pitch, UYS was the perfect trail and was Magical (sorry).."….

NYDB

Anyone else worried about the business level at the mountain this weekend?

They missed xmas and MLK, and crowds were light this weekend after recents snows and rain in the forecast next week.

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily take ski on red lift with magic 100% open and skiing great on a mid winter saturday. There was a 1-2 minute line at one point mid day.

Was it just the cold? Bar didn't seem that jammed either.

tnt1234

Wonder how they'll do with this warm up...

We're gonna try to send some business their way.

urungus

They missed xmas and MLK, and crowds were light this weekend after recents snows and rain in the forecast next week.

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily take ski on red lift with magic 100% open and skiing great on a mid winter saturday. There was a 1-2 minute line at one point mid day.

I think it was the cold, I went to Windham and Hunter on Saturday, then Killington on Sunday and crowds were very light at all three places, even Hunter.

AdironRider

Most areas had their best weekend of the year this past weekend, even little joints like Dartmouth. Don't think it was the cold but rather their reputation of incompetence.