• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K-mart

tjf67

Whats with all the double diamonds? Is it is joke?:uzi:

skiingsnow

No joke, it's one of the reasons
Thebeastmakesmolehillsoutof.jpg

The steepest mogul trail in the east
100_1275-8.jpg

Cliffs (larger than it appears here)
100_1045.jpg

Steep rocky terrain
100_1046.jpg

Steeps
2-25-08006.jpg

2-25-08019.jpg

Avalanches, tight trees, terrain park features through wooded areas.

Geoff

Some of the double black trail markings are to keep the tourons from skiing into touron traps. For example, Cascade is marked double black. Upper Cascade is an intermediate pitch and lots of low skill people get trapped on the steeper lower part of the trail.

AdironRider

I think eastern resorts label terrain difficulty based on average conditions primarily, and terrain second.

Outer Limits would be an easy blue anywhere in Jackson, but throw a bunch of east coast bulletproof moguls out there (aka an average day) and its a bit harder.

Sure there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part I think it stands.

Now Im sure someone will step in and say that its supposed to signify differences in difficulty between trails at that one resort, but we all know noone really thinks like that. A black should be a black, a blue a blue, etc. Have some dude go around and rate em all, sounds like a killer gig.

Then Im sure someone will step in and try to reinforce the fact that Killington has legit terrain, just like Sundown does right? Killington is a fun mtn, Ive actually never really had a bad day there, but double black terrain abound, I think not.

speden

The truth will set you free

http://3dskimaps.com/

Wow, I've always wanted something like this. A real objective measure of steepness rather than the coarse grained trail ratings of the resort maps. The google Earth plug-in is nice. So many times I've been on trails and felt like it was mis-rated.

Looks like that site only maps some of the bigger resorts though. I hope they'll add some of the NH resorts I'm more likely to go to.

millerm277

Wow, I've always wanted something like this. A real objective measure of steepness rather than the coarse grained trail ratings of the resort maps. The google Earth plug-in is nice. So many times I've been on trails and felt like it was mis-rated.

Looks like that site only maps some of the bigger resorts though. I hope they'll add some of the NH resorts I'm more likely to go to.

Part of the issue is imagery I believe. I'd sent an email asking about Hunter at one point, I think I remember the response being something along the lines of: I'd love to, but there isn't a high enough quality google earth map of it.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Part of the issue is imagery I believe. I'd sent an email asking about Hunter at one point, I think I remember the response being something along the lines of: I'd love to, but there isn't a high enough quality google earth map of it.

Well help them out and send them this pic:

UVSHTSTRM

No joke, it's one of the reasons
Thebeastmakesmolehillsoutof.jpg

The steepest mogul trail in the east
100_1275-8.jpg

Cliffs (larger than it appears here)
100_1045.jpg

Steep rocky terrain
100_1046.jpg

Steeps
2-25-08006.jpg

2-25-08019.jpg

Avalanches, tight trees, terrain park features through wooded areas.

Huh Avalanches.............I hope your joking and not referring to Killington blowing way to much snow that one time that was a solid sheet of ice and broke away and busted a water pipe.

Oh and way to use pictures from the spring when the rocks start show and look oh so impressive.....

All that being said there are several trails there that are by eastern resort standards are double blacks and are in place to prevent inexperience skiers from getting themselves in trouble and in turn getting the ski resort in trouble. Plus in the east you must factor in boiler plate caused by wind, rain, and traffic. Some people may argue double blacks out west are weak cuz you have 3 feet of powder to land in if something goes wrong....in only joke.

millerm277

Most of Killington's difficulty ratings are appropriate, and generally comparable to other large NE areas, in my opinion. Cascade is the only double diamond at K that really doesn't necessarily deserve the rating since it gets groomed way too often.

AdironRider

According to that 3d ski maps site Outer Limits is about the same pitch as Gros Ventre. If youve skied both of them it really puts it in perspective.

millerm277

According to that 3d ski maps site Outer Limits is about the same pitch as Gros Ventre. If youve skied both of them it really puts it in perspective.

From what I can tell, the site is sort of like a graphical topo map. So, when a trail isn't following the fall line (aka a traverse, or a more meandering trail), it appears steep in color, because the terrain going down the hill is, even though the trail itself is staying the same as it is going across the hill. The double diamonds all follow the slope of the hill, so that isn't an issue for what's being discussed here. Just an observation.

tjf67

Huh Avalanches.............I hope your joking and not referring to Killington blowing way to much snow that one time that was a solid sheet of ice and broke away and busted a water pipe.

Oh and way to use pictures from the spring when the rocks start show and look oh so impressive.....

All that being said there are several trails there that are by eastern resort standards are double blacks and are in place to prevent inexperience skiers from getting themselves in trouble and in turn getting the ski resort in trouble. Plus in the east you must factor in boiler plate caused by wind, rain, and traffic. Some people may argue double blacks out west are weak cuz you have 3 feet of powder to land in if something goes wrong....in only joke.

Killington rating are a joke. There is nothing about any of those double blacks that warrant there ratings. Its all marketing. It works though but Im jsut saying. I have been on single diamonds that are harder than any of there doubles. no wonder why highwaydushbag thinks he is the bomb

Greg

Staff member
There's more to difficulty than just pitch, for one.

Secondly, trail ratings are defined in relation to other trails at the same hill. Given the amount of terrain at Killington, I think four ratings (green, blue, black, double black) is appropriate.

Finally, who cares? Usually this stuff only matters to the "I ski black diamonds" crowd...

tjf67

There's more to difficulty than just pitch, for one.

Secondly, trail ratings are defined in relation to other trails at the same hill. Given the amount of terrain at Killington, I think four ratings (green, blue, black, double black) is appropriate.

Finally, who cares? Usually this stuff only matters to the "I ski black diamonds" crowd...

No one resally cares its just somethign to talk about. So Sally, lets talk about bumps again cause everyone cares about those. :roll:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think most areas have some double diamonds that are 'questionable' and some that are not. Liftline and National at Stowe certainly don't deserve the rating when compared to Goat, Starr and Lookout.

Suppose areas could make like MRG and Jay and not have double diamonds.

bigbob

Folks, I think you are forgetting that trail ratings are relative to the area being rated, not on a national scale with resorts relative to each other.