• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K-mart

frankm938

Killington rating are a joke. There is nothing about any of those double blacks that warrant there ratings. Its all marketing. It works though but Im jsut saying. I have been on single diamonds that are harder than any of there doubles. no wonder why highwaydushbag thinks he is the bomb

ya ya ya... everybody rips while they are at there keyboard. i wonder if all the AZers that trash killington all the time could keep up with HWS on those "easy" dbl blacks

2knees

Frank, did you get up there this weekend? was hoping for tuesday or wednesday but was curious about conditions.

frankm938

Frank, did you get up there this weekend? was hoping for tuesday or wednesday but was curious about conditions.

crowded!! good soft bumps on mousetrap. they opened highline around noon today after blowing snow all nite and it was nice and should be good mid-week as long as they dont groom it. they were blowing lower eastfall as well, so that should open soon.
other than that, it was groomers with a few bump lines on the trail edges. it beats sitting on the couch and once some other VT mtns open the crowds should thin.

oh ya, they got about 4" sat nite

jerryg

Huh Avalanches.............I hope your joking and not referring to Killington blowing way to much snow that one time that was a solid sheet of ice and broke away and busted a water pipe.

Avalanches do happen in bounds at eastern areas, albeit not very often. I presume that Whiteface has had some on the chutes and Sugarloaf has had numerous slides on the backside, but only one that I know of where someone was caught in it, a ski patroller no less.

tjf67

ya ya ya... everybody rips while they are at there keyboard. i wonder if all the AZers that trash killington all the time could keep up with HWS on those "easy" dbl blacks

There are not many Azers that trash K-mart. I do. The terrain is middle of the road. I compare K to snow.

Are you calling for a ski off. It kinda sounds as though you are. POZER!!

Greg

Staff member
Internet Tough Guy

frankm938

There are not many Azers that trash K-mart. I do. The terrain is middle of the road. I compare K to snow.

Are you calling for a ski off. It kinda sounds as though you are. POZER!!

im a pozer??? didnt you say that killingtons dbl blacks arent difficult enough for you?

millerm277

Ever been to K-Zone? There's a lot of AZers that trash K-mart. Generally not for it's terrain. I'll give you credit, you're probably one of the only ones that expresses that sentiment.

So, I'll ask why? If you measure the pitch, by any measurement, K's double diamonds are for the most part on par all the major NE players. (There's been a million "steepness of trail xxxxx" threads, go find one.) About the only thing about the majority of Killington's double diamonds that makes them easier than some other places is that with a few exceptions, they're pretty wide.

mister moose

C'mon, 2K, you know KZone is the source for that....

But I'll save you the trouble this time. The snow was better than expected. Several expanses of boilerplate in high traffic areas. However the rest was very good, and if you looked for where the snow was in between the boiler plate patches, you had a good run.

The huge downside was the crowds, I'm talking Pepe's at opening crowded, dance floor on New Years Eve crowded, take a number crowded, Borne Bridge on Labor Day crowded, the mall on next saturday crowded. You had to reduce your personal comfort zone to 5 feet from the guy-in-front-of-you's tails on lower Bunny Buster. Bodies sitting, lying, standing everywhere. There was a lift packer on the glades triple. Name me how many days that has happened.

Midweek should be fine. East Fall if it opens, Highline, Bunny buster and Mouse Trap are all fresh machine made, hasn't been rained on still somewhat soft snow. Where else you gonna find that? (and all that traffic bumped it up big time)

SkiDork

I concur - I wish I had my camera a few times it was laughably crowded.

Once on lower bunny, I hit a rock (big) with my tails while making a right turn and went down. My pole was up the hill and a boarder brought it down to me.

He said "sorry" when he handed it to me. I said "that was you? I thought I hit a rock"... I then said don't worry about it, it was unavoidable with the wall to wall situation...

skiadikt

just to add to what mouse & dork said, thought saturday was the scariest ski day i've ever had. nonetheless there was something thrilling/exhilarating about running and surviving the gauntlet run after run. what a rush!

regarding the initial question about double diamonds. certainly all relative within a particular ski area. remember one of my first western trips. hit up telluride. they had some trails that were rated double blue. never seen that before. interestingly i thought those trails were similar in steepness to outer limits. but outer limits seemed a lot tougher because of the conditions. out west at areas like alta, snowbird, squaw etc, i've skied stuff way steeper & scarier than anything you'd ever find inbounds at any eastern ski area but they ski easier because of the snow quality. i'd take going over the cornice into pali face at a-basin over scraping my way down double dipper or even cascade after 11am most saturdays. the snow is so much better and consistent.

Rogman

Crowded? Ya think? I lapped the Snowdon Triple and the line was never more than 5 minutes. Mousetrap had great snow on it, with nice bumps, in fact there was good snow to be had all over. Thought K did a pretty good job managing the crush. Aw hell, it was no different than South East expressway at rush hour. I felt bad for the newbs, though, had to be terrifying. Glad they're getting Snowshed open this week.

bigbob

Crowded? Ya think? I lapped the Snowdon Triple and the line was never more than 5 minutes. Mousetrap had great snow on it, with nice bumps, in fact there was good snow to be had all over. Thought K did a pretty good job managing the crush. Aw hell, it was no different than South East expressway at rush hour. I felt bad for the newbs, though, had to be terrifying. Glad they're getting Snowshed open this week.

I did a few laps on the snowden quad also since the line only existed when the sensor triped and they had to reset it. Downside was you had to deal with lower bunney.
Today was much better, busy in the AM, but no zoo, snow was also better.