• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Most Important Resort Improvement for the Summer of 2010

thetrailboss

Staff member
So we have had some great discussion about Cannon's Mittersill Chair, but there are other projects this summer that are underway including:

• Sugarbush's base area development
  • Jay Peak's base area work, including a new hotel and ice arena
  • Sugarloaf's Burnt Mountain project
  • Hunter's new detach lift
  • Loon's South Peak trail expansion
  • Efforts to reopen Eaton Mountain in Maine
And other projects on the board but not announced yet. So what do you think is the most important resort improvement and why? Thoughts as to the amount of work being done this summer? Is anything not being done that you'd like to see done? And with limited resources, would you consider these to be priorities? Chime in....

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
  • Sugarbush's base area development
  • Jay Peak's base area work, including a new hotel and ice arena
  • Sugarloaf's Burnt Mountain project
  • Hunter's new detach lift
  • Loon's South Peak trail expansion
  • Efforts to reopen Eaton Mountain in Maine

Hunter's new lift, by leaps and bounds.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Shawnee, PA is also putting in a new HSQ. While off most people's radar here, this is a big improvement for a little ski area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Shawnee, PA is also putting in a new HSQ. While off most people's radar here, this is a big improvement for a little ski area.

Yes, if you know of an improvement that is being done, please add it to this thread. There's no way I can keep up with all the resorts :eek:

drjeff

Seems like all the very likely big stuff is listed.

I'm guessing the new stuff headlines from the majority of resorts for this comign season will include lines like:
"improved snowmaking efficiency"
"new groomer"
"regraded trail X to improve our guests experience"
as well as "enhanced base ldoge services for our guests"

x10003q

Gore Mountain will complete the installation of a 900' vertical triple in the old North Creek Ski Bowl and reopen 5 of the old Ski Bowl Trails. The Ski Bowl will now be connected to the main Gore base area and give Gore a vertical of about 2600'. They are also adding a 3500' glade on Burnt Ridge called Barkeater and a blue glade next to Wild Air (according to Mike Pratt via an interview posted on the Harvey Rd site.)

http://www.goremountain.com/about/improvements.cfm

Interview with Mike Pratt, mountain manager at Gore.
http://harvey44.blogspot.com/

TheBEast

Nothing big going on at Berkshire East for the upcoming season. We'll likely continue some glades work (expansion) in the fall. Put in a new triple chair last season and they're putting in a bunch new additional zip lines this summer.

AdironRider

I still think Sugarbush needs to stop real estate development and start focusing on the on mountain experience, they are now at the back of the pack in terms of major resorts in VT, and are only falling further behind.

That being said, Gore's new development could potentially have the largest impact of all, I think they still need a lift to downtown North Creek to reach the top. That and way more snowmaking capacity.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I still think Sugarbush needs to stop real estate development and start focusing on the on mountain experience, they are now at the back of the pack in terms of major resorts in VT, and are only falling further behind.

Haven't you been in Jackson Hole for the past few years? What are you basing this opinion on?

Having top notch base facilities is a must in condo buyers. An area that averages 250 inches of natural can afford to invest in other priorities first. I've heard minimal complaints about the snow surfaces at Sugarbush over the past several years and I know the 15 or so times I've skied there since 2004, the snow surfaces have always been great.

Outside of Stowe, Sugarbush has seen the most dramatic upgrade in facilities in Northern Vermont. I think Win has a good handle on what his mountain needs to attract real estate investors. I always have a positive experience when I visit SB.

frankm938

the rumor all winter at killington was that they were going to replace the snowdon quad with a HSQ. havent heard anything about this in a while so im guessing that its not happening this summer or we would have heard about from the marketing dept.

what i would like to see them do... is give the tree runs some much needed TLC. (clearing the overgrown brush, thinning some trees and cutting the low branches)
they did it on growler a couple of years ago and it became there best tree run. anarcy and julio (and the area between the two) really need it now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
the rumor all winter at killington was that they were going to replace the snowdon quad with a HSQ. havent heard anything about this in a while so im guessing that its not happening this summer or we would have heard about from the marketing dept.

what i would like to see them do... is give the tree runs some much needed TLC. (clearing the overgrown brush, thinning some trees and cutting the low branches)
they did it on growler a couple of years ago and it became there best tree run. anarcy and julio (and the area between the two) really need it now.

They're going to have to do something with Snowdon soon because those lifts are getting pretty old. The triple is pushing 40 years old and the quad is a Franken-lift of various parts and is about 20 years old as well.

WWF-VT

Not a very well informed opinion for a guy who has said you have not skied at Sugarbush in a few years.