• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre and NYS Budget Cuts

I really hope they build that resort and save Belleayre and the area..The fact that unless there is a ton of natural snow..5 less runs will be open sucks..along with the prospect of no spring skiing at Belleayre..they are shooting themselves in the foot..

dmc

Well... In this current financial crisis... i think Bell needs to prove to us NY state taxpayers that they can operate with a profit... AND that my tax $ is not going to a private company until the state can afford it... I'm all for state run facilities that are managed correctly... And I'm not for Bell closing... I'm sympathetic to the local area but there's going to be a ton of NYers needing assistance to make it through the next couple of years...

Non- NYers please hold comments... :)

I really hope they build that resort and save Belleayre and the area..The fact that unless there is a ton of natural snow..5 less runs will be open sucks..along with the prospect of no spring skiing at Belleayre..they are shooting themselves in the foot..

"along with the prospect of no spring skiing at Belleayre."

Wimps will stay home and post on the intra-net all day long and real skiers will been seen earning their turns!

"along with the prospect of no spring skiing at Belleayre."

Wimps will stay home and post on the intra-net all day long and real skiers will been seen earning their turns!

Wimps like me will be skiing other areas in April that still have their lifts open..for the past 4 seasons since I've been back in PA..I skied an April weekend at Belleayre..a nice alternative to the much longer drive to Vermont after the PA resorts close down..

AdironRider

Sad to say, but second tier mountains like Belleayre, Windham, Bromley, Bolton Valley, et all are going to be the first to go if this recession does indeed cause ski areas to close. The real small mom and pop places can run for peanuts on limited snowmaking and lodge offerings, and the big resorts like Stowe, Whiteface, Sunday River, etc can stay open cause theyre always going to have people come and a solid, east coast product. But alas, its the middle road players who have large infastructure investments and needs but not the terrain or product offerings of the big dogs that are going down. Bummer.

jtothewang

Sad to say, but second tier mountains like Belleayre, Windham, Bromley, Bolton Valley, et all are going to be the first to go if this recession does indeed cause ski areas to close. The real small mom and pop places can run for peanuts on limited snowmaking and lodge offerings, and the big resorts like Stowe, Whiteface, Sunday River, etc can stay open cause theyre always going to have people come and a solid, east coast product. But alas, its the middle road players who have large infastructure investments and needs but not the terrain or product offerings of the big dogs that are going down. Bummer.
wondering when was the last time you saw a lift line at windham...i think they'll be okay...

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Wimps like me will be skiing other areas in April that still have their lifts open..for the past 4 seasons since I've been back in PA..I skied an April weekend at Belleayre..a nice alternative to the much longer drive to Vermont after the PA resorts close down..

i gotta agree. i love spring at the bell. sitting on the deck is the tits.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Think of all the jobs it would create and all the addition revenue it would bring in..plus people would visit in the summer for golf..

Think of the extra taxes it would require to support the additional infrastructure required, and the Mom & Pop businesses that would be muscled out. While the developer would like to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread, there are drawbacks to a resort. On balance I think it would be a loss for the region.

MarkC

Think of the extra taxes it would require to support the additional infrastructure required, and the Mom & Pop businesses that would be muscled out. While the developer would like to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread, there are drawbacks to a resort. On balance I think it would be a loss for the region.

Which mom and pop businesses are you referring to? Most of the business owners in the area I have talked to are in full support of the resort. If you want to save on tax dollars how about giving Tony Lanza the boot and leasing the ski area to a private interest that has to turn a profit.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Wa-Wa-Wa-WHAT you go there 2 sit on the deck??
Whats wrong with You!
(Just kidding, or am I)?

dont know about you but after 1 or 2 its just mush so its great to sit have a few beers with friends and watch the kiddies fall on the rails and boxes. spring is all about chillin outside. take a que from the euros relax that mountain aint going anywhere. i guess im just not core enough for you.

catskills

Which mom and pop businesses are you referring to? Most of the business owners in the area I have talked to are in full support of the resort. If you want to save on tax dollars how about giving Tony Lanza the boot and leasing the ski area to a private interest that has to turn a profit.
Before Tony Lanza was born the people of NY state voted on a proposition to create Belleayre Mountain Ski Area. The people of NY State voted Belleayre Mountain Ski Area into the NY State Constitution. It would take another vote by the people of NY State before Belleayre Mountain ski area could be sold to a private enterprise. Given the state needs money, maybe this is as good as time as any for the State to sell Belleayre and make some money. Lets face it the state needs billions and not a few million it would get from Belleayre.

My personal fear is if Belleayre were sold it may follow the path of Brodie mountain, which was purchased by close neighbor and competitor Jimny Peak. Jimny Peak put no money into Brodie and then sold it to a land developer with the stipulation it could never be used as a public ski area ever again.

We need more ski areas not fewer ski areas. I really don't think the folks that live and ski at Hunter and Windham want to see their lift lines increase by 20 percent.

BTW this lift at Belleayre was build in 1949 which was 10 years before Hunter Mountain Ski Bowl ever broke ground for its first lift.

be7.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Pallor

Picture is all wrong

I produce the RadXSports videos and TV show, Belleayre is one of our sponsors. I am there more than is good for my own health. The picture of that single chair lift is not from Belleayre. It might be from High Mount, a ski area adjacent to Belleayre that went out of business years ago.

Gerry Pallor

Unfortunately Unconstitutional

I totally agree, it would be a great idea to lease Belleayre ski area to a private entity. Unfortunately it is expressly prohibited in the New York State Constitution - Article XIV, Section 1.

"The lands of the state, now owned or hereafter acquired,
constituting the forest preserve as now fixed by law, shall be forever
kept as wild forest lands. They shall not be leased, sold or
exchanged, or be taken by any corporation, public or private..."

Disclaimer - I produce the RadXSports videos, Belleayre is a sponsor and Tony Lanza hosts the show. Giving Tony the boot isn't the answer, although I think he might welcome the stress reduction.

I produce the RadXSports videos and TV show, Belleayre is one of our sponsors. I am there more than is good for my own health. The picture of that single chair lift is not from Belleayre. It might be from High Mount, a ski area adjacent to Belleayre that went out of business years ago.

Sorry Gerry, but that is definitely Belleayre Run. You can see the 2 strips of farmland across the valley that are still there today.

Gerry Pallor

Sorry Gerry, but that is definitely Belleayre Run. You can see the 2 strips of farmland across the valley that are still there today.

Sorry 180 - there are no single seat chair lifts at Belleayre (there are 2 doubles on the lower mountain but the view is different), no lifts with wooden chairs, and the lift servicing Belleayre Run is a high speed quad. Next time you go down Deer Run look off to your left. At one point you'll see something close to that view and, if you look down through the woods, you'll see the remains of what I think is the lift in that picture.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Sorry 180 - there are no single seat chair lifts at Belleayre (there are 2 doubles on the lower mountain but the view is different), no lifts with wooden chairs, and the lift servicing Belleayre Run is a high speed quad. Next time you go down Deer Run look off to your left. At one point you'll see something close to that view and, if you look down through the woods, you'll see the remains of what I think is the lift in that picture.

Dude, they tore it out. god knows when. It is Bell.