• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This should make it easier to get to Tramside from Stateside. No more need to traverse!
No really, it is still a long and barely downhill slog to Tramside. The benefit here is you don't have to ride a T-bar if you are at the Stateside Lodge and want to go Tramside. If you are riding the Jet or Bonnie, you wouldn't take this lift to go Tramside, you would just pick up Taxi from the end of your run from Jet or Bonnie. This really benefits beginners most of all which is why the learning center is being built there.

gregnye

It also allows for those "youngin'-snowboarders" to ride the terrain park without scraping all the snow off Upper Can Am! :razz:

JPTracker

Just saw this in the November meeting minutes of the Jay Planning Commission/Zoning Board:

1. Jay Peak Resort presentation:
    1. Mattson permit renewal: Mr. Walter Elander representing the resort presented a request to renew for two years the conditional use permit for the Mattson pit. This is used for the location of storage containers/ equipment and employee/overflow parking. Mr. Cushing stated the request does not require a new hearing. The board agreed to do a site review before extending the permit. The board scheduled the site review inspection for Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:30 a.m.
    2. Current projects update: Mr. Elander stated the Golf & Mountain Suites project is ahead of schedule and they plan to have all seventy units open for Christmas. The Lodge and Townhouse Suites project, one building will completed in January, the other two will completed in February. The taxi lift will be finished tomorrow. The wedding barn is on hold as they are waiting for permits. The Mountain Learning Center is scheduled to open January 12[SUP]th[/SUP]. The Austria House is scheduled to open November 21[SUP]st[/SUP].with the second floor completed by mid December. The Sky Haus project has been delayed as they have had some problems with the tram and have run into safety issues with the building. This will be a two year project. They will have the snack bar in the building open on December 20th.
    3. Resort parking & circulation: Mr. Elander stated the resort has added 65 parking spaces at the stateside meadow. The tram parking deck- it was necessary to remove a piece of the area that was planned for parking so the deck will be approx. 30 spaces smaller. It will be open December 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. The mountain shuttle program, Mr. Tom Howell presented the resort wide shuttle plan. He stated the mountain is a destination resort and they hope guests will not have to use their cars once at the resort. He said guest safety is a top priority. He distributed a resort wide map showing the 6 different shuttle routes and the stops. He stated the mountain has invested in vehicles so they will have four new shuttle buses, 2 fifteen passenger and two 12 passenger, giving them a total of 6 buses. They will run daily from 5:00a.m. -11:00 p.m. He said they will have more staffing so it will be clear where to park and where not to park. They plan to add 6 full time staff members. They will have a total of 22 parking attendants and 18-20 shuttle bus drives. .
    4. New Main Entrance: Mr.Elander stated they have scheduled this for 2013 construction. They are putting bids out now for paving next spring. The location will be the road where the Jay Fire Department building is. Also as a result of the permit request for this the, VTrans requests and the Act. 250 permit conditions are they do a traffic study to determine if turning lanes are warranted. They have five years to complete is study.
    5. 2013 Projects Overview: Lodge and Townhouse Suites I, subdivision. This is an EB 5 project. The plan is to subdivide and the land will be owned by the EB 5 investors. The draft proposal will be presented at the boards December meeting with a permit an application and request for a public hearing for the January meeting. Lodge and Townhouse Suites II, this is another EB 5 project. The plan is to build a total of 80 units, with 20 units being townhouses and 60 units being cottages. Stateside revitalization: they have hired the architects and engineers. The plan is for a new hotel and day lodge. The hotel will have approx. 84 standard rooms, a restaurant, and possibly an indoor pool. The new day lodge will be approximately 12,000 square feet the old lodge will be demolished. They plan to construct a recreation center in 2014 and currently are unsure what it will contain. They have purchased a six pack detachable quad to replace the Bonaventure quad. It will be 2 ½ times faster then the current chair. It will be located on the Power line trail. The have done a feasibility study to seem if they could use a biomass central heating plant for this revitalization. The study stated it would be a 12-13 year payback they currently are not sure if they will do this but will plan to set up the new buildings with this capability.

Anyone know what safety issues they are having with the Sky Haus that are delaying the project?

mikestaple

The time my then 5 year old being dragged along on his stomach on that Tbar while clinging to it for dear life are now just a sweet memory!

BigJay

The time my then 5 year old being dragged along on his stomach on that Tbar while clinging to it for dear life are now just a sweet memory!

It's alright, i remember being a 5 y.o with clumsy ski boots skills walking up to the Queen's T-Bar where the new Taxi quad is now. A long and hard walk.

JPTracker

It's alright, i remember being a 5 y.o with clumsy ski boots skills walking up to the Queen's T-Bar where the new Taxi quad is now. A long and hard walk.

I remember riding up the Jet T-Bar. That was a ride!

fbrissette

New hotel, 80 additional units, a faster 6 pack.... This has got to stop. The trail system will NOT be able to sustain that much additional traffic. The Angel's wiggle/northway intersection is already a zoo as it is, not to mention goat run that already gets more traffic than it can handle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The six pack is old news, though the quote above suggests that Jay has already "purchased" the six pack. I guess their wind study last season suggested that such a lift would be feasible? Here is hoping for lots of wind hold days. The Bonnie runs most of the time the Freezer is on hold. Pretty rare when they can't run the Bonnie but they can run the Jet (happens sometimes, not too often). Usually if the Bonnie is down, all upper mountain lifts are on hold. As such, a six pack with a lot of down time would mean everything except Stateside was open for earned powder. Bring in that six and hope for wind holds!

:beer:

The six will go to a higher elevation meaning folks can go from Stateside to Ullr's trails without having to either skate uphill to Wedelmaster or ski down to the Freezer. I suspect the additional uphill capacity from a six would even off from folks crossing mountain zones due to the upper mountain placement and access to Ullr trails.

The unknown here is how a high speed quad and a high speed six pack essentially dumping out at the same location will effect things on a more global perspective. That is essentially a high speed ten pack dumping skiers out in the same location with three main trail options: Northway, Goat, or Ullr's. I think it will be fine though, the options come pretty quick in all directions except Goat which is always a shit show already... and who really cares about the Goat? LOL. Goat and Alligator are trails to be endured rather than enjoyed to get someplace else.

I can't imagine it is going to impact traffic that much. Experts will manage just fine because they don't ski the main routes and intermediates and beginners will hate the place even more as the main routes get scraped down just a tad faster than they already do.

Bring on the wind holds!!!

:beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
And the Taxi Quad opens today!!!! :smile:

(they should have named it something better than just "taxi quad" though--of all places, the Jay Peak management always has the best humor! Why couldn't they think of a more original name for it?)

View attachment 6937

Got what you're saying, but Jay has used the name "Taxi" for some time now....

gregnye

I actually am in full support of the 6-pack lift. It doesn't really change that much. I mean the chairs may hold 6 people, but they are planned to be spaced out further. Also, 6-packs are usually not that effective. Normally, only 5 out of the 6 people make it on the chair!!

It also doesn't alter the "power-line" trail that much. You are either skiing around power-line poles or chair-lift poles...basically the same thing. The cliff will still be there--now you have an audience! And saint george's prayer will finally be used! Yay!

If anything, it will make people want to go all the way down to the stateside base area. Before, I would always ski to taxi and take taxi back to the flyer or go to the Jet triple--it was that faster. There are some good trails on the lower portion of the bonnie area that people don't ski--lower milk run being one of them!

I for one, will not be sad to wish that Bonnie quad farewell.

BTW: they should seriously consider naming it the "Power-line 6-pack" (has that Raise 'em Jay ring to it) :razz:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Lower Milk is not to be talked about publicly! :D

Personally, I am just fine with the Bonnie. Though I appreciate the idea of making the Jet a quad with the Bonnie's chairs. But I don't think the Bonnie is too long of a lift. I know it is worn out but I have yet to be inconvenienced by a break down, so it can't happen that often.

Hopefully they'll clean up Powerline when they put in the 6. There is a lot of junk on that trail that takes a long time to fill in.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not that I am aware of. Jet would get Bonnie's chairs is the impression that I was under.

OK. I knew that it was going to be upgraded to a quad, and I thought that at one time this was the plan but that they had also considered an HSQ.

JPTracker

Not that I am aware of. Jet would get Bonnie's chairs is the impression that I was under.

That was the original plan when the Jet was supposed to replace the t-bar. Since they have a new quad for the t-bar replacement what will happen with the extra chair? Will the Bonnie Quad or Jet triple get moved to the West Bowl? My guess would be for the transfer lift.

What puzzles me is if the were going to replace the Jet with the Bonnie next summer then why did they go through the trouble of painting it?