• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will New England See a New Ski Area In the Next 20 Years?

MadMadWorld

big1.jpg

I am not so sure if it will happen. The last ski area to open was Magic about 15 years ago and even that was a previously owned mountain. So my question is, will we see a new skier area? If so, where and why? Make your case....

My case is for Bigelow in Maine. It has more prominence and elevation than Saddleback and just behind Sugarloaf in both categories. It's in the same range as both of these mountains and just as accessible. When Maine was submitting proposals for the Olympics in the late 70s, Bigelow was considered for many events.

dorsetpeakprofile.jpg

Dorset Peak in Vermont would also be another good option. Great location and good size.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

We almost had Bearpen in NY Catskills into 9/11 happen.:mad: It would be great to see another hill open for winter fun but with global warming and our county economy decline I highly doubt it.

bdfreetuna

That mountain looks awesome but I suspect most of the upper mountain terrain is "too steep". As in, probably too awesome.

Personally I'd like to see Ascutney reopened, with totally expanded terrain to the upper mountain and several trail pods. That mountain has so much potential.

Another is Dorset Mountain, with something around 2,700 ft prominence.

And of course in the Adirondacks there are soooo many great mountains but it is almost impossible to develop there.

MadMadWorld

That mountain looks awesome but I suspect most of the upper mountain terrain is "too steep". As in, probably too awesome.

Personally I'd like to see Ascutney reopened, with totally expanded terrain to the upper mountain and several trail pods. That mountain has so much potential.

Another is Dorset Mountain, with something around 2,700 ft prominence.

And of course in the Adirondacks there are soooo many great mountains but it is almost impossible to develop there.

Yea I didn't see your reply until after I added Dorset to my original post. That is great option and location. I believe it was proposed back in the day as a destination resort with a tram but the deal got nixed. Also, I believe there is a very large quarry mine there and that would cause issues.

gmcunni

i'll go with YES*

* you reference Magic (originally opening in the 60s) as the most recent, because it changed ownership and reopened. I would not be surprised to see a recently closed mountain reopen within next 20 years.

i'd go with NO if you are referring to a brand new never been skied before mountain.

drjeff

Nope - far too many environmental restrictions and expenses to make it happen IMHO. :mad:

Heck in the next 20 years, I'd be quite surprised if we even see 10 new peaks developed as part of existing ski areas. The reality is that in many cases, even to develop a new peak as part of an existing area, by the time you add up the costs of the land acquistion, environmental impact studies (and likely legal bills from environmental special interest groups challenging the proposed development), land clearing, installation of what likely nowadays would be a high speed quad and then snowmaking installation and possibly associated upgrades to the existing snowmaking plant to handle the increased terrain to cover, a ski area is looking typically at an 8 figure investment for that new development :eek:

farlep99

Wasn't there a recent attempt (or maybe it was rumor) to re-open Maple Valley?

jaytrem

I wouldn't be surprised is something small was built somewhere. But I'd be shocked if it was anything substantial. For the rest of the US, maybe something medium size, like they're talking about in Utah. Canada on the other hand may see a couple big ones from scratch. I think the last brand new places would be Tamarack, Yellowstone Club (private), Spanish Peaks (private), and Moonlight Basin. The last 3 connected to Big Sky. All 4 have had major financial problems recently and I believe Spanish Peaks is still closed.

wa-loaf

View attachment 6990

My case is for Bigelow in Maine. It has more prominence and elevation than Saddleback and just behind Sugarloaf in both categories. It's in the same range as both of these mountains and just as accessible. When Maine was submitting proposals for the Olympics in the late 70s, Bigelow was considered for many events.

The AT goes across the top of Bigelow so that will never happen among many other reasons. That's actually the south/west face of Biglelow you see there. On the other side is Flagstaff lake which it would be pretty awesome to have a ski area that came right down to a lake. It would have been one hell of an all season resort.

MadMadWorld

I wouldn't be surprised is something small was built somewhere. But I'd be shocked if it was anything substantial. For the rest of the US, maybe something medium size, like they're talking about in Utah. Canada on the other hand may see a couple big ones from scratch. I think the last brand new places would be Tamarack, Yellowstone Club (private), Spanish Peaks (private), and Moonlight Basin. The last 3 connected to Big Sky. All 4 have had major financial problems recently and I believe Spanish Peaks is still closed.

Moonlight Basin is serious skiing. Headwaters area is no joke. People can do laps on A-Z chutes and other areas of Headwaters all day now. Granted, most people don't hit it up til the afternoon but still it was a very smart move on Big Sky's part. I played it pretty conservative when I skied it 2 years ago.

MadMadWorld

The AT goes across the top of Bigelow so that will never happen among many other reasons. That's actually the south/west face of Biglelow you see there. On the other side is Flagstaff lake which it would be pretty awesome to have a ski area that came right down to a lake. It would have been one hell of an all season resort.

Doesn't the AT cross the summit of Stratton and Killington? If I remember correctly AMC fought Saddleback over expansion and lost because Saddlebacks plans were not to cut trails through the actual AT itself.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Doesn't the AT cross the summit of Stratton and Killington? If I remember correctly AMC fought Saddleback over expansion and lost because Saddlebacks plans were not to cut trails through the actual trail itself.

The AMC won against Saddleback actually. The original plan was for Saddleback to expand all the way out to the Horn.

http://www.aldha.org/saddlebk.htm

MadMadWorld

wa-loaf

Doesn't the AT cross the summit of Stratton and Killington? If I remember correctly AMC fought Saddleback over expansion and lost because Saddlebacks plans were not to cut trails through the actual AT itself.

There's a reason there are no lifts to the summit of Saddleback.