• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What states DON'T have skiing?

swampwiz

I was looking at an article about how global warming will affect skiing. :sad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/us/climate-change-threatens-ski-industrys-livelihood.html?

Anyway, it mentions that there are 38 states with skiing - and thus, 12 without. As far as I can tell they are:

Rhode Island
Delaware
South Carolina
Florida
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
North Dakota
Hawaii (*)

(*) - even though Hawaii does seem to have ad hoc cat skiing.

Yes, amazingly, Alabama & Georgia have skiing - as does a lot of places that folks would consider to be rather flat (but at least in cold climes.)

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Hawai'i and Rode Island both have skiing and snowboarding.

skiNEwhere

I knew that Alabama had skiing, in the northeast corner. I kinda of want to ski there just to say I've skied Alabama.

RI has yawgoo, or something like that, never skied there

Kansas used to have Mount Bleau, but it has since closed, so not sure if you want to count that or not.

And for that reason I'll never be caught dead living in one of those states

swampwiz

OK, I had 13 states, and I think I need to add Kentucky, but take away Rhode Island & North Dakota, making the list:

Delaware
South Carolina
Florida
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Hawaii
Kentucky

It is interesting that a lot of college football powers are in these states.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

How the hell does Alabama and Georgia have skiing. I have to look this up just for laughs.

Cloudmont, Alabama: Vertical drop of 150 feet and a "slope limit" of 275 people.

And here is Sky Valley Resort, in Georgia. Which may or may not be closed. Their site is under construction and the Wikipedia article has been removed.

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/photogallery/images/skyvalley.jpg

Attachments

• skyvalley.jpg
    skyvalley.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

bigbog

With respect to global climate change's timeclock Before Planet Earth cools down ​again....I think we'll be dealing with far fewer states with skiing...or maybe the next Dubai's....

4aprice

North Dakota does in the Black hills

Wrong Dakota. Black Hills are in South Dakota and there is one decent sized ski area there (about a 1000' vert).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Area is named Terry Peak 1056' vert, Summit 7076'. Book I have (dated) lists several smaller mts in N Dakota, highest vert 450' at a place called Huff Hills in Huff, ND

Hawkshot99

Wrong Dakota. Black Hills are in South Dakota and there is one decent sized ski area there (about a 1000' vert).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Area is named Terry Peak 1056' vert, Summit 7076'. Book I have (dated) lists several smaller mts in N Dakota, highest vert 450' at a place called Huff Hills in Huff, ND

I was close on the range, but there is still skiing in N. Dakota.

2Planker

[h=1]Hawaii Skiing[/h]
Skiing in Hawaii- We call it 'Pineapple Powder'
Mauna Kea (Hawaiian for 'white mountain') is a 13,796' (4205 meter) volcanic mountain whose summit sometimes gets a skiable/boardable mantle of snow. There are no lifts, no grooming, no resort, but a road goes to the summit to serve the dozen or so world class observatories located at the summit. You must have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to get to the summit, which serves as your "lift." Basically, skiers take turns being the driver, who picks up the other skiers at the bottom of the runs and ferries them up to the summit. Conditions at the top are extremely variable. Winter temperatures range from 25 to 40 degrees F (-4 to 4 C), but wind chill and the high altitude can make it seem much colder. Between April and November the weather is milder, with daytime temperatures varying from 30 to 60 degrees F (0 to 15 C).