• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just venting about current trend

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I moved out of the Mid Atlantic to get away from winter patterns like this. Everyday I look at the forecast, the warm up is extended a day and still no storms. I live in mid Maine and still have as much R$#% in the forecast as there is snow showers. Winter teased the northern areas in late December but come on, can't we get some freshening of the bases. I hate to see what more southerly resorts are currently getting I guess I'm partially to blame. I bought about a ten preseason tickets through various deals. Last year I got new xc skis and a snowblower and look how good last winter turned out.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Some forecasting people.saying snow and lots of it next week with lots.of cold.of mid altlantic and north east.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think last winter was particularly horrible. However the year before that was insane. I'm hoping for a reasonable winter. It's still only the 2nd week of January, and we have had several fantastic snow events so far. I wouldn't get down yet.

BenedictGomez

For a "January Thaw", this doesnt even look that bad. I think people are overreacting. It might raise hell in the Poconos, but I dont see a few (literally) warm days with some light rain doing too much damage to the Cats, ADK, or most of Vermont given the snowfall this season. I'm more worried about it being an icy mess for the period post this warmup and until the next >4" snow.

BenedictGomez

I checked Blue's webcams last night & the guns were going full blast in the valley area, and several snowmobiles were skooting around too. They're getting there.

I was at Shawnee on Sunday night, and the conditions were pretty good from a Poconos perspective. But what I meant was that the Poconos could take a bit of a beating this weekend if we get a day that hits 60+ degrees, and 3 days at 50+.

ScottySkis

I was at Shawnee on Sunday night, and the conditions were pretty good from a Poconos perspective. But what I meant was that the Poconos could take a bit of a beating this weekend if we get a day that hits 60+ degrees, and 3 days at 50+.

The 2 times I have been to Elk they had some good snow, but this could hurt them.

Mpdsnowman

You know when I was going up the lift this morning I kept thinking "as warm as it will get in the next few days, there is still alot of snow on the ground and compared to last year today is a goldmine" lol

Dont you worry,this is a typical Jan thaw and it will go away by mid next week. Temps will go right back down, snow will come back and we shall see.

71539_2658040908171_2134634528_n.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
What the...???

We are coming off the best Christmas through first week of January in recent history. What the hell is there to complain about? We get thaws ever year. Put in for Canadian citizenship or move west into the high country if you can't live with the occasional thaw. Maine has done quite well this year, snow totals and base depth are well above average.

Puck it

What the...???

We are coming off the best Christmas through first week of January in recent history. What the hell is there to complain about? We get thaws ever year. Put in for Canadian citizenship or move west into the high country if you can't live with the occasional thaw. Maine has done quite well this year, snow totals and base depth are well above average.

North, East and West of the Whites are fine but the Whites will be hurting a little especially you know who!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
North, East and West of the Whites are fine but the Whites will be hurting a little especially you know who!
Yea, NH has reason to complain. Not ME, though! And in general, as a whole, the entire northeast on average is having a great year so far. There is a reason only one of my 13 outings were in NH so far this season! And that day was over boot deep powder at a lost area which I nailed while the getting was good... you gotta go where it snows!

VDK 01

southern vt

not much to report in bromelys neck of the woods, hopefully cold weather in near future

Some forecasting people.saying snow and lots of it next week with lots.of cold.of mid altlantic and north east.[/QUOTE]

Puck it

Yea, NH has reason to complain. Not ME, though! And in general, as a whole, the entire northeast on average is having a great year so far. There is a reason only one of my 13 outings were in NH so far this season! And that day was over boot deep powder at a lost area which I nailed while the getting was good... you gotta go where it snows!

I do need to. Go west, young man! I have enough for free tix on SW.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I guess my complaint is beyond the ski conditions. The past two times it got above freezing here, new roof leaks emerged on my house and I live on what would be considered a class 4 road so the snow gets any thinner on it thie driving becomes hell until next plowable snow as all the frozen ruts resurface . So strictly for ski conditions, yeah I probably am overreacting a little since it isn't even MLK weekend yet. I guess the current thaw is more a personal gripe.

Cannonball

As everyone else mentioned, it has actually gotten off to a good start (except where I am in NH...booo). But more to the point....
I moved out of the Mid Atlantic to get away from winter patterns like this.
Did you investigate what weather patterns were like in ME before you moved? Because this is what it is. Moving from mid-Atlantic to ME isn't a great way to escape east coast weather patterns.

Cheese

Wasn't last year a drought? We're just having a little warm up but there is still a lot of moisture kicking around the country so I'm hopeful for future dumps.

drjeff

Wasn't last year a drought? We're just having a little warm up but there is still a lot of moisture kicking around the country so I'm hopeful for future dumps.

Last year wasn't too far below average in precipitation amounts, it's just that most of it fell in the liquid form and then when it did fall as snow, all too often a day or 2 later is was back in the 40's (or warmer) and it melted :(

Variable weather is what makes us East Coaster's a special breed! And for that I'm proud to call myself an East Coast Skier! :)